Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any tricks 2 immigrating to Aus?

Any tricks 2 immigrating to Aus?

Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:58 am
Just Joined

jgsmoothy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any tricks 2 immigrating to Aus?

I have many relatives who r Australian, except i am not.
I don't have enough skills points to immigrate, are there any unknown (or known) tricks to getting to live in Aus?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 4:58 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You can enter as a tourist and overstay - judging by the numbers of overstayers it is perfectly possible to do this without detection for many years. I guess you'd have to do cash in hand work or get a false ID, you wouldn't have welfare or health benefits. Punishment is quite mild: enforced deportation and a ban on re-entering Aus for about 3 years.

Not that I'm recommending it.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Previously, the best way was to pay someone to pretend they were your spouse. Now, they check everything to make sure you are telling the truth (and want proof that goes back over one or two years)

There used to be a general amnesty every couple of years. It was a sort of "well done" to those people who successfully evaded the authorities. No more.

You can always get a 12 month visa and hop over to Auckland once a year

Unless you have got a lot of money, it's not worth the hassle. Even if you get a job, you will pay higher tax and as pleasancefamily advises no welfare or health benefits. You will always be looking over your shoulder.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any tricks 2 immigrating to Aus?

Originally posted by jgsmoothy
I have many relatives who r Australian, except i am not.
I don't have enough skills points to immigrate, are there any unknown (or known) tricks to getting to live in Aus?
how many points do you score and what is your occupation, you only need to reach 70 points for stni sponsership if you have a skill in demand for the nominating state, if you have relatives you may qualify for sponsership by them.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:27 am
Just Joined

My grand mother, my aunt my cousins etc (my mother was , but she gave it up 4 a Canadian citizenship without getting her duel) as 4 points , i don't know?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by anzen12
Previously, the best way was to pay someone to pretend they were your spouse. Now, they check everything to make sure you are telling the truth (and want proof that goes back over one or two years)

There used to be a general amnesty every couple of years. It was a sort of "well done" to those people who successfully evaded the authorities. No more.

You can always get a 12 month visa and hop over to Auckland once a year

Unless you have got a lot of money, it's not worth the hassle. Even if you get a job, you will pay higher tax and as pleasancefamily advises no welfare or health benefits. You will always be looking over your shoulder.
i am over 31 yrs old so i can't get a 12 month visa, can i (and still work?)
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

what's your occupation, i think aunties and cousins qualify as sponsers.

age 31 = 25pts
english speaking = 20pts

thats 45 already plus occupation, you should be able to emigrate without much problem I'd have thought
Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jgsmoothy
My grand mother, my aunt my cousins etc (my mother was , but she gave it up 4 a Canadian citizenship without getting her duel) as 4 points , i don't know?
jg
Have a look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=223249

May be what you are looking for
Good luck

G
Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

thanx mate
Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any tricks 2 immigrating to Aus?

You can apply on Visa 139 which isn't point scored however your relative has to live in a designated area (not sydney, perth or brisbane off the top of my head but you'd need to look on immi.gov.au for more info)
Relative can be as distant as cousin.
Good luck
Old Apr 12th 2004, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am over 31 yrs old so i can't get a 12 month visa, can i (and still work?)
No, I don't believe you can (not legally anyway)
Old Apr 12th 2004, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

We were truly shafted on the points but have gone for skilled - aus sponsered route. The points for sponsership is 15 and the points didn't increase recently under this category so only 110 to get. We are being sponsered by hubby's uncle so if you have uncle / cousin/sister/parent you could try this route....hope it works out.

Lucy.

Old Apr 13th 2004, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by lucy.summers
We were truly shafted on the points but have gone for skilled - aus sponsered route. The points for sponsership is 15 and the points didn't increase recently under this category so only 110 to get. We are being sponsered by hubby's uncle so if you have uncle / cousin/sister/parent you could try this route....hope it works out.

Lucy.

do they expect a large deposit from the sponsorer?
Old Apr 13th 2004, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

There is a bond to pay at some point prior to entry - don't think they request it till visa granted. It is currently about $4000 I think for 2 adults.....BUT....you get it back after 2 years of perm residency. It is to cover any state costs necessary but it is returnable so a nice little bonus 2 years after arrival.

Lucy
Old Apr 13th 2004, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by lucy.summers
There is a bond to pay at some point prior to entry - don't think they request it till visa granted. It is currently about $4000 I think for 2 adults.....BUT....you get it back after 2 years of perm residency. It is to cover any state costs necessary but it is returnable so a nice little bonus 2 years after arrival.

Lucy
thanx 4 the info