Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any tips on renewing UK passport whilst in UK??

Any tips on renewing UK passport whilst in UK??

Old May 23rd 2008, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Tamstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any tips on renewing UK passport whilst in UK??

Hi

Due to the crap processing time that is forever increasing at BHC in Canberra I am going to travel on my current UK passport (not yet expired, just under the 6 months). I have pulled it from the process in Canberra - being sent back now-ish (hopefully) and I fly in a week.

I want to renew in the UK - does any one have any tips on getting this done?

I'll be at my parents house for the 3 weeks whilst I am there.

I know I have to go to a consular office and have an interview and they can turn it around in a week - just has to be delivered to a UK address.

So anyone out there done this???

or do you think it would be easier to wait until I return to Australia and do it then - have no care about turnaround time then.

Tamstar
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any tips on renewing UK passport whilst in UK??

I wanted to get mine renewed when I popped back to the UK earlier in the year but wasn't there long enough.
So I just got all the forms needed while I was there and brought them back to Australia with me, then sent everything to them once I was back in Australia.
I was lucky in that my parents were coming out here two months later so I got the new and old passports sent to them in the UK and they brought them over for me.
But I'm sure there would be no problem for the UK passport ageny to send it back to you in Australia. If this does prove a problem, get your new passport sent to your parents and they can forward it to you.
It was very quick too - I think from the date I sent the forms from Australia, the new passport had arrived at my parents within three weeks.

The issue I found with going to a passport office while I was in the UK was that there weren't many of them. I was staying at my parents in Hull, and I think the nearest office for me would have been Newcastle or Liverpool
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tamstar
Hi

Due to the crap processing time that is forever increasing at BHC in Canberra I am going to travel on my current UK passport (not yet expired, just under the 6 months). I have pulled it from the process in Canberra - being sent back now-ish (hopefully) and I fly in a week.

I want to renew in the UK - does any one have any tips on getting this done?

I'll be at my parents house for the 3 weeks whilst I am there.

I know I have to go to a consular office and have an interview and they can turn it around in a week - just has to be delivered to a UK address.

So anyone out there done this???

or do you think it would be easier to wait until I return to Australia and do it then - have no care about turnaround time then.

Tamstar
See the passport website

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-renewing-when.asp

which states:

Non-UK residents
If you do not live in the UK, you may apply in person to renew your passport whilst visiting the UK. In order to do this, you need to make an appointment at a passport office and you must provide an address in the UK to which the passport may be posted. You should call our 24-hour Passport Adviceline 0870 521 0410 (see terms and conditions) to make an appointment at one of our offices. We can offer a Fast Track one week service or a Premium same-day service. Please note the Premium same-day service is not available for first passports, extensions to a passport, or to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport.

Certainly sounds like this could be a good option.
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

UKPS will NOT send a passport to Australia. They expect you to use the bhc in Canberra for it...... You must have an address in the UK to which it can be sent. My Dad phoned and enquired for me and they discouraged us making the application through him in the UK and strongly recommended we applied here (In Aus). Given the lengthy wait times at present at Canberra I wish we'd waited and gone for our renewal in the UK!
Old May 25th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Famous 5
See the passport website

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-renewing-when.asp

which states:

Non-UK residents
If you do not live in the UK, you may apply in person to renew your passport whilst visiting the UK. In order to do this, you need to make an appointment at a passport office and you must provide an address in the UK to which the passport may be posted. You should call our 24-hour Passport Adviceline 0870 521 0410 (see terms and conditions) to make an appointment at one of our offices. We can offer a Fast Track one week service or a Premium same-day service. Please note the Premium same-day service is not available for first passports, extensions to a passport, or to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport.

Certainly sounds like this could be a good option.
I did this recently and it worked very well for me, but then I was within an easy journey of the London office. The only issue was that I could only book an appointment within a few weeks (2 or 4? - I forget), but when I rang from Oz within this time I got through straight away (I guess it was about 3 a.m. there) and had no problems getting the appointment I needed. The whole thing was very straight forward and efficient. I used the same day service and I don't think it cost much more than Canberra charge anyway.