Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any tips for long stay rellies ?

any tips for long stay rellies ?

Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Wink any tips for long stay rellies ?

We've been here almost a year & have our first visitors coming soon. In-laws come in April for 7 weeks, then we have my mum coming for 6 weeks, with only 10 days rest inbetween. Then when my mum comes, we have aunt & uncle coming up from Melbourne to stay for a couple of weeks as well.
Plus a couple of friend may come later in the year.
I was thinking of putting up some House rules, like a Top Ten, in a jokey, but half serious way, just to get things off on the right foot, example
-Please treat our house as your home for as long as you're here, so feel free to cook, clean & mow the lawn !
You get the idea, any suggestions, serious or otherwise, would love some feedback, think it maight be a long winter !
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:16 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any tips for long stay rellies ?

Originally Posted by woogle
We've been here almost a year & have our first visitors coming soon. In-laws come in April for 7 weeks, then we have my mum coming for 6 weeks, with only 10 days rest inbetween. Then when my mum comes, we have aunt & uncle coming up from Melbourne to stay for a couple of weeks as well.
I was thinking of putting up some House rules, like a Top Ten, in a jokey, but half serious way, just to get things off on the right foot, example
-Please treat our house as your home for as long as you're here, so feel free to cook, clean & mow the lawn !
You get the idea, any suggestions, serious or otherwise, would love some feedback, think it maight be a long winter !

Make them go off and do things by themselves. Seriously... My in-laws are heading back to the UK soon after a 3 month stint here, and I honestly don't know what they've got out of the experience. Granted, they have been to Australia a few times now but this trip they seemed content to carry on as if they were living in England, albeit in warmer weather! They did one week of 'tourist' activity, the rest of the time they'd have a little stroll and then watch TV. I know they're old (ish) and the main reason they come over is to see us, but you can't have them hanging around your feet for the whole stay!!

I've always found guests have been happy to help with housework etc, sometimes too much (eg MIL washing our smalls without me realising till it was too late, embarrassing or what...).

Get them piles of tourist brochures, plan lots of trips, buy in lots of booze.

Good luck
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to all

Are you insane??? seriously?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:35 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Book them into a hotel

Seriously though - get them to have hire car, if its possible, for the whole stay it gives them some independence, and go to you local tourist info and lots of brochures. Make sure they remember that this where you live, try not to stop doing the normal things like going out with friends etc

And the very best of luck
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

In laws are quite active, but don't want to hire a car. They'll be ok going on the train, & will see about getting some coach trips for them to go on, as they like that sort of thing. Will deff get onto the tourist office for some brochures though. My mum will be quite happy to stay indoors, she doesn't like to travel, its been soooo hard to even get her to book the flights, so I'm just glad she'll be here at all. Aunt & uncle will take her round when they come, so at least she'll see some of the place. I only work 3 days, so I don't really need to book much time off work, which is good.
All in all, can't wait really
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:26 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

My dad is currently staying with us and has been for about 4 weeks. We started off doing all the tourist things with him, but soon realised it was costing a fortune, so now we let him do as much or as little as he wants, and just do the cheaper things like the malls and beaches on the weekends
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah I'm a bit worried we'll end up doing stuff twice. Our kids a bit young for the theme parks, they're only 2 & 4, so at least we won't have to do that. But boths grannies will prob want to go to Australia zoo & sea world, so we'll have to compromise on that. Hows your dad liking it ? has he been before ?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=thpinkpussycat;4299524]Book them into a hotel (quote)

- good one!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

offer to find them a nice apartment locally! Seriously tho, set the ground rules first, make sure they appreciate you need privacy too and make sure they pay their own way. Been there, done that know how it can go wrong!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
7 and 6 weeks - boy thats a long time eh! We had 4 lots of visitors last year ranging from 3 days to 3 weeks. As long as they are willing to look after themselves as much as poss and pay their way it shld be a good experience.

If poss, hiring a car wld be near the top of my list But everyone is different. None of the people that visited us last year hired a car, they relied on us to take them around. Dont think I would want to do that again unless it was older relatives who did not/cld not to drive.

Have a lovely time with your loved ones - its gonna be great!

Take care

Gill
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:17 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm a bit worried we'll end up doing stuff twice. Our kids a bit young for the theme parks, they're only 2 & 4, so at least we won't have to do that. But boths grannies will prob want to go to Australia zoo & sea world, so we'll have to compromise on that. Hows your dad liking it ? has he been before ?
Look into getting annual membership - might save a couple of quid? Dad seems to be liking it, but its hard when I am at work and the wife looks after the kids, feel a guilty but he knew the score prior to comming out!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Along with the tourist booklets etc, pick up maps and resturant leaflets and the home delivery food deals, print off website of car hire details, get the local entertainment booklet, go down to the library and find out what is on locally...etc etc I really mean get as much as possible.

Then file it in some sort of system, file of plastic wallets or big box sort of thing - then leave it accessible to all your guests.

I usually point my box out on day 1 and then they forget but by day 4/5 of a long stay lot I make sure I bring it out and leave them to it. Much easier than constantly putting forward suggestions or discussing the cost of things - it lets them have an idea of whats available and what they can do for themselves.

Think of things you might not have done and put these on a written list - state it is not a list you need to complete but just possibilities. If you are very organised write up a scrap book of places you have visited and what your thoughts where. Because if they read you have just done the Aus Zoo and thought it was great and want it to go back then that may happen but if they read you thought it was a waste with the kids the current age then they are less likely to suggest it. basically reading your thoughts is less confrontational this way.

I have a general list on my computer for guests, it lets them know where towels are, washing machine operating guide - no way do I do peoples laundry or want them doing mine, dishwasher and where we keep things, how to operate the spa, lawnmower and what day the bins go out etc. It is written in a helpful jokey way but explains our routine. Eg what times we leave in the mornings and work shifts for hubby school times for kids - and their bedtimes .

We have been here five years and had all sides of the family over for long stays, my dad and his wife are here at the moment for the whole month of Jan. Their rules will get tailored to use of the internet next time cause my dad is never bloody off it, and we did think it was rude to have it on at the dinner table.

Basically you really can't afford to let things happen, start now with hubby and think through over a couple of glasses of wine and a laugh what things might really annoy you and plan how to avoid those happening. Mine is being talked to in the morning!!!! So I warn people I am a shit and want to go to work after a cup of tea on my own. I always manage the week long guests but if staying any longer I cannot do nicey nicey every morning without getting very uptight.

I also think the earlier comment about making sure you still see your own friends etc is important. From the other side I would be unamused by a phone call from another expat arranging to go out as their two month visitors where gone now and they are at a loose end!!

I love my visitors and they keep me homesick sane for the most part - but I know from this site they can be a nightmare.

Enjoy your family

Cheers
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:56 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Tent in garden.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Get a shed with a big padlock on it - allow them out to stretch their legs for an hour max per day...

...as you can tell, I am OVER long stay visiotrs, particularly those who DO NOTHING while they are here...

...that includes eating us out of house and home ($14 a bag cashew nuts anyone? )- a paltry offering of $50 towards food and drink per week does not cut it IMO, especially when they get through 2 bottles of wine per night, not cooking or cleaning (or even offering) but obviously enjoying watching me chase my tail and wait on them hand and foot, generally sitting on their fat arses all day, waiting for us to get home to 'entertain' them...the list is endless and very sad.

Purleaseeeee, for your own sanity, set the rules out very clearly from the beginning and good luck!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:47 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

stick'em in a hotel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.