Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any teachers out there?

Any teachers out there?

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Kersten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any teachers out there?

Hi I am currently applying for my visa. I am a secondary school teacher (state school) in the UK and want to teach in Oz. Can anyone tell me what teaching is like over there and if there are any major differences to here?
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any teachers out there?

Originally Posted by Kersten
Hi I am currently applying for my visa. I am a secondary school teacher (state school) in the UK and want to teach in Oz. Can anyone tell me what teaching is like over there and if there are any major differences to here?
bump
I know there are a couple because they have helped me out in the past
Tara
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ali south
bump
I know there are a couple because they have helped me out in the past
Tara
Ok Thanks, let's hope they reply then!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:37 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Ok Thanks, let's hope they reply then!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

This might be of some help to you. My wife's a primary teacher in Brisbane. Primary teaching is quite different (easier) but not sure about secondary.

Good luck

R
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by samnrob2

This might be of some help to you. My wife's a primary teacher in Brisbane. Primary teaching is quite different (easier) but not sure about secondary.

Good luck

R
Thanks, have tried that teaching area before but hardly anyone seems to use it - maybe there just aren't that many teachers around?
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by samnrob2

Good luck

R
thnaks, had not seen that link before!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, have tried that teaching area before but hardly anyone seems to use it - maybe there just aren't that many teachers around?
I've replied to your post on the teaching forum. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Hi Kersten. I am a primary teacher but have taken "early retirement!!" to look after our three little ones so can't help much, however, my hubby is a secondary science teacher so I'll get him to post on here. We're moving out of our rental today and into our OWN new house so it may be a couple of days before he gets time to come on here. Is there any specifics you want to know?
Cheers Yvonne
P.S. We're in Perth BTW
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Hi
I am a teacher (Secondary). I taught for 6 years in the UK before using my teaching profession as the main points for our visa application. We decided to live on the Sunshine Coast (approx 1 hour North of Brisbane) as I have the majority of my family already living here.
When student teachers graduate from their teaching degrees in Queensland they generally have to do country service for approx 3 years. This is basically because in rural Queensland there are a shortage of teachers so it is the only way to fill vacancies. Dependant upon how isolated the place the newly qualified teacher is given a certain number of points over the time they teach there. Upon completion of their2/3 year stint they are generally offered a position back in civilization - the more points - the more likely they are to get where they want - or so the process is supposed to work. So as a teacher newly arrived in Australia - the likelihood of picking up a permanent job in a popular area is not too high. However there are plenty of contracts and plenty of releif teaching jobs. By the way what subjects do you teach??

Have to go out but will write again when I get in - are there any specific questions that you have??

See ya

Sarah
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
Hi
I am a teacher (Secondary). I taught for 6 years in the UK before using my teaching profession as the main points for our visa application. We decided to live on the Sunshine Coast (approx 1 hour North of Brisbane) as I have the majority of my family already living here.
When student teachers graduate from their teaching degrees in Queensland they generally have to do country service for approx 3 years. This is basically because in rural Queensland there are a shortage of teachers so it is the only way to fill vacancies. Dependant upon how isolated the place the newly qualified teacher is given a certain number of points over the time they teach there. Upon completion of their2/3 year stint they are generally offered a position back in civilization - the more points - the more likely they are to get where they want - or so the process is supposed to work. So as a teacher newly arrived in Australia - the likelihood of picking up a permanent job in a popular area is not too high. However there are plenty of contracts and plenty of releif teaching jobs. By the way what subjects do you teach??

Have to go out but will write again when I get in - are there any specific questions that you have??

See ya

Sarah
Thanks Sarah,
I am a science teacher, hope to teach years 7-10 (poss 12) in Oz. Hoping to go to SA and have looked on their websites etc, there seem to be quite a lot of jobs so hopefully I will manage to get one. Just really looking for general info about what it is like teaching over there. How does it work with the temporary thing, are the kids used to it or is it a nightmare? Over here it is a license to create havoc when the kids get a supply teacher!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Thanks Sarah,
I am a science teacher, hope to teach years 7-10 (poss 12) in Oz. Hoping to go to SA and have looked on their websites etc, there seem to be quite a lot of jobs so hopefully I will manage to get one. Just really looking for general info about what it is like teaching over there. How does it work with the temporary thing, are the kids used to it or is it a nightmare? Over here it is a license to create havoc when the kids get a supply teacher!
Hi Kirsten

Yes I think that kids here are the same as in the Uk - if they think they can get away with it then they will!! I have done some relief work - older groups tend to work well but have had some shockers! I have done a number of contracts too - up to a term and a half in length. Some have been great others very hard work. You just start getting on top of a group and then you move on.
I do not know exactly whether the system in SA is the same as QLD but there is a lot of assessment based marking. Even for PE which is my main subject the children have a theory lesson a least once a week and usually an assessment towards the end of each term. (PE teachers teach a lot of loosely related Health subjects - eg Immunisation and Disease, Personal Identity, Sex Ed - probably subjects covered in Science or PSHE in the UK).
I have definately not enjoyed teaching in australia as much as in UK but this may be because I have been in so many different schools and never feel settled. I suppose when you have been used to teaching in one school and know all the staff and students then it is a lot easier.
There is also a system here (QLD but not sure on other states), where when a teacher qualifies they are given a rating - if you want permanent work you must get a rating (1 or 2 I think)- either by someone watching your teaching and also you have to give a presentation about your teaching to a panel. (My brother is also a teacher who emigrated about 2 years ago and he has gone through this process). He is a special needs teacher (is currently doing a Masters to improve his chances of scoring a permanent job) - he has had 2 times 1 year contracts at the same school.
I am getting out of teaching and starting a new career but you may find that SA is a good place to teach and you can get permanent work more easily there. I wish you good luck.
If you have any more questions, please email back -
I shall try to answer as best as I can although my experience is in Qld and may not be exactly the same as SA.
Sarah
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
Hi Kirsten

Yes I think that kids here are the same as in the Uk - if they think they can get away with it then they will!! I have done some relief work - older groups tend to work well but have had some shockers! I have done a number of contracts too - up to a term and a half in length. Some have been great others very hard work. You just start getting on top of a group and then you move on.
I do not know exactly whether the system in SA is the same as QLD but there is a lot of assessment based marking. Even for PE which is my main subject the children have a theory lesson a least once a week and usually an assessment towards the end of each term. (PE teachers teach a lot of loosely related Health subjects - eg Immunisation and Disease, Personal Identity, Sex Ed - probably subjects covered in Science or PSHE in the UK).
I have definately not enjoyed teaching in australia as much as in UK but this may be because I have been in so many different schools and never feel settled. I suppose when you have been used to teaching in one school and know all the staff and students then it is a lot easier.
There is also a system here (QLD but not sure on other states), where when a teacher qualifies they are given a rating - if you want permanent work you must get a rating (1 or 2 I think)- either by someone watching your teaching and also you have to give a presentation about your teaching to a panel. (My brother is also a teacher who emigrated about 2 years ago and he has gone through this process). He is a special needs teacher (is currently doing a Masters to improve his chances of scoring a permanent job) - he has had 2 times 1 year contracts at the same school.
I am getting out of teaching and starting a new career but you may find that SA is a good place to teach and you can get permanent work more easily there. I wish you good luck.
If you have any more questions, please email back -
I shall try to answer as best as I can although my experience is in Qld and may not be exactly the same as SA.
Sarah
Thanks, sorry to hear you have not enjoyed it. Know what you mean about moving around though. As far as I know the rating in SA is done at the application stage from your references etc that you provide, I sent my application in about a week ago so should hear back sometime soon. I have looked on the internet and there seem to be loads of science jobs so hopefully I should get one. Don't have any more questions at the moment but will post again if I do. Good luck with your career change, hope that goes well.

Kersten
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by YFitz
Hi Kersten. I am a primary teacher but have taken "early retirement!!" to look after our three little ones so can't help much, however, my hubby is a secondary science teacher so I'll get him to post on here. We're moving out of our rental today and into our OWN new house so it may be a couple of days before he gets time to come on here. Is there any specifics you want to know?
Cheers Yvonne
P.S. We're in Perth BTW
Hi, that would be useful if he would. Not really any specifics just want to get a feel for what it is like compared to UK (probably not that different I suspect)
Hope the move goes well!
Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Kersten,

I taught for a while in Oz some ten years ago: we're in the process of applying to go back permanently so it couldn't have been that bad or was it?

Having taught in a private school in the UK I was surprised how different a similar Qld school was: class sizes were huge in comparison and approaches to learning were a bit of take it or leave it. I employed a strategy of explaining to the pupils what why and how we were going to do in each lesson: I guess sin the UK pupils are generally more accepting that they are here to progress where in Oz there is a degree more questioning on behalf of the pupils.

Expect a lot more ICT based teaching: get ready to receive work electronically and publish your own materials: independent learning is the thing but Oz is also very strong on teaching methodologies. Schools employ different methodologies. Be prepared to do some research. At the end of the day its just another way of dressing it up but its a game you have to play.

Also be prepared to go back to Uni. I have a BA, PGCE and an MA yet half the staff in OZ had these as well and many were doing PhD's as a way of getting on.

If you are interested in the ICT stuff have a look at :
www.williams-jones.freeserve.co.uk/eschool/index

Bezza
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Berian
Kersten,

I taught for a while in Oz some ten years ago: we're in the process of applying to go back permanently so it couldn't have been that bad or was it?

Having taught in a private school in the UK I was surprised how different a similar Qld school was: class sizes were huge in comparison and approaches to learning were a bit of take it or leave it. I employed a strategy of explaining to the pupils what why and how we were going to do in each lesson: I guess sin the UK pupils are generally more accepting that they are here to progress where in Oz there is a degree more questioning on behalf of the pupils.

Expect a lot more ICT based teaching: get ready to receive work electronically and publish your own materials: independent learning is the thing but Oz is also very strong on teaching methodologies. Schools employ different methodologies. Be prepared to do some research. At the end of the day its just another way of dressing it up but its a game you have to play.

Also be prepared to go back to Uni. I have a BA, PGCE and an MA yet half the staff in OZ had these as well and many were doing PhD's as a way of getting on.

If you are interested in the ICT stuff have a look at :
www.williams-jones.freeserve.co.uk/eschool/index

Bezza
Thanks, I will have a look at it. Interesting info, I am quite lucky that I have had a lot of training in teaching methodologies and approaches and worked in a school that employed Bill Rogers to work with them. I also have an interactive white board at school so lots of my stuff is on disk, I will make sure I take it all with me!
When are you hoping to go back to Australia?

Kersten

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.