British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any Teachers moved from U.K to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-teachers-moved-u-k-australia-837334/)

donzculz Jun 25th 2014 12:42 pm

Any Teachers moved from U.K to Australia

Hi. I am looking to find out the experiences of teachers who have emigrated from the U.K and are now teaching. Been a teacher in U.K for 10yrs and wondering if it's better in Australia. Any similarities/differences/problems. Cheers.

Jilliebee Jun 25th 2014 2:24 pm

Re: Any Teachers moved from U.K to Australia

Hi, you could also try asking in the 'teachers' forum.

Teaching - British Expats

😃

Bermudashorts Jun 25th 2014 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by donzculz (Post 11314847)
Hi. I am looking to find out the experiences of teachers who have emigrated from the U.K and are now teaching. Been a teacher in U.K for 10yrs and wondering if it's better in Australia. Any similarities/differences/problems. Cheers.

There are a few teachers around and I am sure one will be along soon. But I can't think of any reason why it should be different myself.

quoll Jun 26th 2014 6:17 am

Originally Posted by donzculz (Post 11314847)

Harder to get a job in a nice place. Otherwise kids are kids.

galba Jul 1st 2014 11:12 am

I'm in WA and it's almost impossible to get a permanent job. Most of the teachers in my current school have been on yearly contracts for 4 or more years.

fromthetoon Jul 5th 2014 11:57 am

Teaching expectations are very different in QLD than in the UK, it's like going back 20 years plus.
I managed to obtain a HoD position 3 years ago and when I used the terms lesson planning, lesson observations, scrutiny of work (comparing data etc.) or self evaluation, my staff erupted with the thought of madness and never spoke to me for a week! Very touchy! It's taken 2 years to calm the storm and now we all get on like a house on fire. The thought of a Pom getting a HoD job so quickly did not go down well!

Getting a FT permanent job can also be extremely difficult. All in all, I'd still much prefer to be in Australia although the education is very basic.
Unless you teach English, Maths, Science or Technology / Graphics, think twice

Gibbo Jul 8th 2014 8:50 am

Just read today that there are 44,000 qualified teachers in NSW looking for permanent work. There has been an over supply of primary school grads for a number of years. It's more positive for high school teachers. If you are maths or/and science qualified you wont have a problem securing a position.

Brian Clough down under Jul 11th 2014 12:32 pm

I've been teaching in Sydney for 9 years in a few different Primary Schools.

In a nutshell, you need to target the private, independent schools if you want a permanent job (and more money, more holidays), but unfortunately the state schools will only employ me on a casual/supply basis, because for some bizarre, annoying reason, NSW Ed Dept won't fully recognise my PGCE.

It might be easier in another state though

fromthetoon Jul 12th 2014 3:24 am

Hi Brian,
Normally a PGCE is recognised providing you have 3 further years experience, but I'm sure you have looked into that already. Private school staff are not necessarily paid more than State school staff and very often paid less, unless you are employed in a grammar or large school. Kids get longer holiday but teaching staff probably only receive a week more over the year.
The State like to keep you on contract as it's financially better business for them although worse for the teacher and sometimes for teacher quality.