British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any Sydneysiders been to Bill Granger's restaurants?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-sydneysiders-been-bill-grangers-restaurants-503737/)

pommybird Jan 5th 2008 11:35 am

Any Sydneysiders been to Bill Granger's restaurants??

I've been watching Bill Granger on telly here on the UK and really like his recipes and style of cooking - I know he has 2 or 3 restaurants in and around Sydney and wondered if any of you had been and what your thoughts were on them.

Although I am somewhat cynical about the Aussie lifestyle being wonderful, Bill Granger really sells the Australian Dream on his programmes - he's cooking lovely light, summery food in his fab kitchen in his fab house right by the beach and afterwards he is seen eating the food with his fab wife and fab kids in his gorgeous fab garden and despite my cynicism it does kind of give you that feel good factor!

Anyhoo, I love his programmes and just wondered if any of you guys had been to his restaurants and how popular he is in Oz??

julesmc Jan 5th 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Any Sydneysiders been to Bill Granger's restaurants??

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 5742773)
I've been watching Bill Granger on telly here on the UK and really like his recipes and style of cooking - I know he has 2 or 3 restaurants in and around Sydney and wondered if any of you had been and what your thoughts were on them.

Although I am somewhat cynical about the Aussie lifestyle being wonderful, Bill Granger really sells the Australian Dream on his programmes - he's cooking lovely light, summery food in his fab kitchen in his fab house right by the beach and afterwards he is seen eating the food with his fab wife and fab kids in his gorgeous fab garden and despite my cynicism it does kind of give you that feel good factor!

Anyhoo, I love his programmes and just wondered if any of you guys had been to his restaurants and how popular he is in Oz??

Hi pommybird

I'm not a Sydneysider (unfortunately!) but do get over there every so often and have been to the original bill's in Darlinghurst. You can't book and we had to queue for brunch but the food was great and worth the wait. I think he has other restaurants now that are open in the evening but I've not had the chance to try one yet.

He might be more popular now in Australia but when I mentioned him to a friend of mine who lives in the Blue Mountains a couple of years ago she had never heard of him (but she had heard of Jamie Oliver!).

His books are worth buying too - his recipes are pretty easy to follow (although my efforts never look quite as good as his do on his TV programmes!).

Ozzidoc Jan 5th 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Any Sydneysiders been to Bill Granger's restaurants??

I have lived in the UK for 10 years now. I was in Sydney for the six years immediately prior to that.

I went to 1 & 2 LOADS of times, and loved it. The thing is, now that I actually think about the food etc, well actually I wouldn't have a clue as to what the style was or what I ate. Sigh. Must make a trip back home sometime.