Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Sydney sparkies here?

Any Sydney sparkies here?

Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:18 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Any Sydney sparkies here?

I've been trying to buy some 3 pin mains plugs to swap the for the plugs on our UK A/V equipment, without any luck. The woman in Bunnos tells me that they cannot be sold to anyone without a sparky license!

I'm not happy with using adapters, so this seems to be forcing me to cut moulded cables off thrown out appliances on hard rubbish day, opening my uk appliances and hardwiring the Oz power cords into them.

I find it incredible I can't just buy some proper mains plugs - does anyone know if the Bunnos woman told me the truth, or better still, where I could acquire some mains plugs?

Cheers,
Alex
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:29 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Sydney sparkies here?

Hmmmm, I've heard the same that you required a sparky to change a plug which sounds a bit mad.

However I'm sure you can find some plugs somewhere, have you tried tandy?

Originally Posted by 4lex
I've been trying to buy some 3 pin mains plugs to swap the for the plugs on our UK A/V equipment, without any luck. The woman in Bunnos tells me that they cannot be sold to anyone without a sparky license!

I'm not happy with using adapters, so this seems to be forcing me to cut moulded cables off thrown out appliances on hard rubbish day, opening my uk appliances and hardwiring the Oz power cords into them.

I find it incredible I can't just buy some proper mains plugs - does anyone know if the Bunnos woman told me the truth, or better still, where I could acquire some mains plugs?

Cheers,
Alex
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rapitts
Hmmmm, I've heard the same that you required a sparky to change a plug which sounds a bit mad.

we bought some from tandy for the tv & laptop.

we also brought with us an english extension lead ( for 4 plugs ) and changed the end to an oz plug !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4lex

Cheers,
Alex
This is an Aussie urban myth. You can change your own plugs & even if you couldn't, that would be one nanny state law that needed to be broken.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:42 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by rapitts
Brilliant, hadn't thought of them. Couldn't get any at DSE, remarkably.

Thanks for the hint,
Alex
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:48 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

In case anyone should dig this thread up on a search in future, here they are

Thanks again,
Alex