British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any suggestions on packing widescreen tv? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-suggestions-packing-widescreen-tv-306245/)

johnkay Jun 1st 2005 1:04 pm

Any suggestions on packing widescreen tv?

Hi all
Need to sort out shipping company asap. Not taking furniture, mainly lots of boxes, bikes and the TV, comp, dvd etc, so we can DIY packing.
We haven't got original box, and I spoke to PSS about using their services and chap I spoke too was not happy about our widescreen tv.
I was a bit baffled, :confused: they surely must have this all the time, all he could suggest was trying local electrical shop for unused box or perhpas we can have one made up that suits. I telephoned PSS because they have been recommended on here by lots of people.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can obtain good packaging or preferably can you recommend a company to me that you know will not have a problem with this?

Much appreciated :)

Secretsquirral Jun 1st 2005 2:02 pm

Re: Any suggestions on packing widescreen tv?

Hi,

We used John Mason who put a crate around it and it arrived safe and sound!

Debbie

Lynn W Jun 1st 2005 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Secretsquirral
Hi,

We used John Mason who put a crate around it and it arrived safe and sound!

Debbie

Hi Johnkay,

We have PSS coming around to give us a quote tomorrow, and we have a wide screen flat plasma TV. i will let you know what they say !

We have had John mason come round too and they said it would be no problem with the tv..

cheers Lynn :)

TraceyandPeter Jun 1st 2005 3:28 pm

Hi JK,
We got a quote off PSS and they charge £75 to box your TV for you.
Tracey.

spalen Jun 1st 2005 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by TraceyandPeter
Hi JK,
We got a quote off PSS and they charge £75 to box your TV for you.
Tracey.

Phone local removal companies - the proper ones, but try for non 'major' chains ie not pickfords. They''ll happily flog you their packing materials - they do TV boxes etc .

Flat screens are ok because they are heavy so wont get thrown around - you just need to protect the glass at the front from smashing after being hit by somethign else - mostly you can do that with eg another box folded against it and lots of padding/bubble wrap. Once its in the container, so long as they dont pack it stupidly then it will be safe. At the Aus end it wlil be unpacked by AQIS/Customs so mark it up as fragile/heavy/this way up / etc

GLR Jun 1st 2005 11:46 pm

If it's an expensive flat screen one then definitely pay for them to build a wooden crate around it. It'll only cost c. GBP70 and well worth it.

If you don't take that option then at least make sure that you place it in a box and that you pack lots of protective bubble wrap/foam balls to take the weight above it. PSS may pack it well in the UK but when it gets to oz the container will be unloaded for customs and then reloaded back onto a container or lorry. At that point the oz packers may not notice what you've got so it could end up at the bottom of the load. As a result you need to make sure that the box is strong enough to withstand a load of other boxes being packed above it.

Please make sure that they don't just wrap it in sheets and sheets of paper and not put it in a box as that's the guaranteed way to damage it.

Good luck

GLR

mr mover Jun 2nd 2005 12:03 am

Originally Posted by johnkay
Hi all
Need to sort out shipping company asap. Not taking furniture, mainly lots of boxes, bikes and the TV, comp, dvd etc, so we can DIY packing.
We haven't got original box, and I spoke to PSS about using their services and chap I spoke too was not happy about our widescreen tv.
I was a bit baffled, :confused: they surely must have this all the time, all he could suggest was trying local electrical shop for unused box or perhpas we can have one made up that suits. I telephoned PSS because they have been recommended on here by lots of people.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can obtain good packaging or preferably can you recommend a company to me that you know will not have a problem with this?

WE aways crate or box large TV,s especially rear projector TV,s as the backs are fragile, plasma TV,s should go back in original box as the have a cradle inside, or get a purpose built box [makes a great coffee table] they must travel upright. Wide screens we either box or crate they are generally front heavy and tricky to load.................. :beer: mm

johnkay Jun 3rd 2005 10:02 am

Thanks for the replies, bit odd that PSS man didn't offer me a box for £75.00 though, I reckon he must have got out the wrong side of bed.
Going to make some more enquiries today.
cheers!

colinmorgan Jun 3rd 2005 10:33 am

Hi all

Hi,

If you pack it yourself make sure it is covered under the insurance. I have moved at least 10 times with various companies and any thing "packed by owner" is noted and was not covered.

Good luck.

Colin

chaddyb Jun 3rd 2005 8:24 pm

[QUOTE=johnkay]Hi all
Need to sort out shipping company asap. Not taking furniture, mainly lots of boxes, bikes and the TV, comp, DVD etc, so we can DOY packing.
We haven't got original box, and I spoke to PSS about using their services and chap I spoke too was not happy about our wide screen TV.
I was a bit baffled, :confused: they surely must have this all the time, all he could suggest was trying local electrical shop for unused box or perhaps we can have one made up that suits. I telephoned PSS because they have been recommended on here by lots of people.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can obtain good packaging or preferably can you recommend a company to me that you know will not have a problem with
I thought TV's didn't work out in oz mate, check before you do it. Different power supply i reckon.

jas_uk Jun 3rd 2005 10:08 pm

[QUOTE=chaddyb]

Hi all
Need to sort out shipping company asap. Not taking furniture, mainly lots of boxes, bikes and the TV, comp, DVD etc, so we can DOY packing.
We haven't got original box, and I spoke to PSS about using their services and chap I spoke too was not happy about our wide screen TV.
I was a bit baffled, :confused: they surely must have this all the time, all he could suggest was trying local electrical shop for unused box or perhaps we can have one made up that suits. I telephoned PSS because they have been recommended on here by lots of people.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can obtain good packaging or preferably can you recommend a company to me that you know will not have a problem with
I thought TV's didn't work out in oz mate, check before you do it. Different power supply i reckon.

Power supply is the same; it is the analogue reception that varies (VHF in Aus as opposed to UHF in the UK). Some TV's may receive VHF as well as UHF, but not all, check the handbook. However SCART etc is the same so if you get a set top box/freeview digital box all would be well.
:)