Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any sparky's out there?

Any sparky's out there?

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

kevsyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any sparky's out there?

I am on the first rung of the emigration process and was wondering if any electricians could help me with any info on the exams or any advice that may help my cause, i am visiting oz quite soon for a period of 3 months, would i be able to sit my TRA exams then?
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any sparky's out there?

Originally posted by kevsyder
I am on the first rung of the emigration process and was wondering if any electricians could help me with any info on the exams or any advice that may help my cause, i am visiting oz quite soon for a period of 3 months, would i be able to sit my TRA exams then?

My electrian husband asked the TRA the same question and was told that you cannot sit your exams or apply for a trade licence until you are a fully fledged PR with an aussie address.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, they dont make it easy for electricians do they!

You go to considerable effort/expense to prove you are experienced/qualified as an electrician to TRA just to get your skilled PR visa. But then you have to go back to TRA with another cheque and further prove your abilities during which time you are unemployed, not contributing to the Australian economy or able to feed your family.
The only winners here are the TRA.

Makes you wonder if they really want electricians at all.

Am I cynical or sceptical?
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:29 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any sparky's out there?

The previous thread is correct you cannot do anything untill you actually have your visa.my partner is a sparky and when he was in sydney last oct picked up a copy of the australian regualtions froma sydney book shop to help him, it cost him around £15.00 our money while we found that other people ordering them online were paying a total of about £70.00 so if you do not have one already we would suggest you get one whilst there to save you some cash.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

kevsyder is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you still waiting for your visa?
:lecture: