Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Small Business Operators?

Any Small Business Operators?

Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:48 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Any Small Business Operators?

Guys,

Although for the first few years, i intend to try and get work in my chosen career field, i have always had a hankering after my own business.

My question, is pretty basic, and broad ranging......how on earth do i start!!?!! It would probably be a small photographic and graphic design studio, so there would be limited overheads. No problems there....but what do i need to do about setting up a business? Anyone got any useful links about how to get set off....what do i need to do from a financial point of view. If i decide to hire any staff....what do i need to do. Are there professional people/companies i can talk to regarding this? Special protocols that need to be followed down under?

Any offerings would be very helpful.....i would like to do a bit of groundwork over the next 6 months, but i hav'nt got a clue where to start.

Many thanks,

Pete.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:27 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Small Business Operators?

Pete,

The attached factsheet might help for starters.

See also:
http://www.gomatilda.com/business_issues/index.cfm

Best regards.

Originally posted by PeteY
Guys,

Although for the first few years, i intend to try and get work in my chosen career field, i have always had a hankering after my own business.

My question, is pretty basic, and broad ranging......how on earth do i start!!?!! It would probably be a small photographic and graphic design studio, so there would be limited overheads. No problems there....but what do i need to do about setting up a business? Anyone got any useful links about how to get set off....what do i need to do from a financial point of view. If i decide to hire any staff....what do i need to do. Are there professional people/companies i can talk to regarding this? Special protocols that need to be followed down under?

Any offerings would be very helpful.....i would like to do a bit of groundwork over the next 6 months, but i hav'nt got a clue where to start.

Many thanks,

Pete.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:32 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Pete,

The attached factsheet might help for starters.

See also:
http://www.gomatilda.com/business_issues/index.cfm

Best regards.
Thats great, many thanks.

Just had a quick scan of the link (will look thoroughly later), and i think it may answer most of my Qs.

Cheers

Pete.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:14 pm
owieb

Originally posted by PeteY
Guys,

Many thanks,

Pete.
Try this link Pete, lots of useful info for you http://www.business.gov.au

Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

aussielawyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Pete,

Three excellent websites are;

www.business.gov.au
www.industry.gov.au
www.investaustralia.gov.au

Yours faithfully,
JUSTIN K. RICKARD M.A LL.B (Syd.) M.M.I.A

Principal Lawyer & Migration Agent
Admitted to practice law in NSW 1986
Admitted to practice law in High Court of Australia 1989

JUSTIN RICKARD & ASSOCIATES
AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRATION LAWYERS
Established 1992
Member Law Society of NSW # 11272

Member Migration Institute of Australia # 1130
Registered Migration Agent # 90625

Suites 4 & 5, 876A Pittwater Road
Dee Why, NSW 2099, Australia
Phone: 61 2 9981 7755
Fax: 61 2 9981 7766
Mobile : 612 416.212.021

HYPERLINK mailto:[email protected]
Web: www.livedownunder.com
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I've attached a PDF checklist which is from some Australian accountants and is both readable and daunting!

Let me know what you think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
aus business checklist.pdf (71.5 KB, 132 views)
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:50 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

http://www.sd.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/htdocs/global/start.cfm

Qld government -Starting a business in QLD. It pretty much tells you everything you need to know to get started, plus links to the relevant sites
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:24 am
A Male Member

Many thanks for the links and pdf...All extremely helpful.

Got some reading to do in the 24 hours i've got stuck in a flying tin tube next week.....

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Alex Kay is an unknown quantity at this point

Great topic with lots of helpful links, thanks!

I'm also going to become self-employed when I move to Australia (hopefully in 2005). I was thinking a course like this one could help as I have neither education nor experience in operating a small business.

Has anyone heard about Certificate IV in Small Business Management? Would it be useful to go for it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Alex Kay; Nov 21st 2003 at 1:13 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Lots of useful links here. We emigrated on skills, followed our chosen careers for 1st few years but always hankered after our own business.

Bit the bullet, & went self employed this year. It's just the best feeling & we found heaps of help available. Not saying we couldn't have done it in UK, but the society here is definitely geared up for small business. Things fell into place & you don't feel isolated - always lots of help available.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I have no evidence for this, but Australia seems to have a lot more self-employed people than the UK. Working like this appeals to me as an idea, but I'd like to work less and trade it off against lower earnings. The thought of running flat out 24/7 with no holidays or benefits is terrifying.

Has anyone on this forum managed to achieve this "just right" life balance through self-employment? (I'm assuming the ones who haven't are stuck in their home office trying to get their tax returns done or something, rather than idly surfing web forums!)
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:31 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by Zebra4
Lots of useful links here. We emigrated on skills, followed our chosen careers for 1st few years but always hankered after our own business.

Bit the bullet, & went self employed this year. It's just the best feeling & we found heaps of help available. Not saying we couldn't have done it in UK, but the society here is definitely geared up for small business. Things fell into place & you don't feel isolated - always lots of help available.
Nice to hear that you got it going. Can i ask what your first steps were? Did you go see someone at your bank? Book an appointment with a financial advisor? Or did you just research and set it up yourselves?

The self employed bit really appeals to me. Im not worried about doing the long hours, or the risk at this stage. I know lots of people who have had their own businesses turn out very successfully.....and i want in on the action!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:40 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Pete,

A mate of mine moved to Coolum last year - he attended night classes organised by the QLD govt. on starting a small business (see Ceri's post) and within a few weeks he was up and running. Said the whole process was quite easy. He makes and sells garden furniture in the Coolum/Noosa area, if anyone's interested (might get some commission)
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

CHnJ

I have no evidence of this, but you're right, Aus does appear to have more self-employed people pro rata.

Don't want to put you off, I work hours that most people would not put up with, don't take holidays, but absolutely love doing what I do.

So, I'm not balanced - bad example, but I have Australian friends here who are very successful being self employed.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 11:19 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Thought I'd add this too as it may help some of you expats here in Aus who are thinking of running their own business. There is a scheme run by centrelink I think it is called the enterprise incentive scheme.

My understanding of it is instead of going on the "dole" if you have an idea for running your own business they will pay you the equivalent of the "dole" money while you are running/setting up your own business. They also have business advisers, back up support etc, apparently they also send you on various business training too.

To qualify it is probably the same "rules" as it's for claiming the dole... ie PR or citizen and two years of residing here .. but you'd better check out the facts further with centrelink regarding eligibility etc, as I have not got the full facts. .May help some of you who are already here and are deciding to set up your own business.

cheers