Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Single Parents out there?

Any Single Parents out there?

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 6:01 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Single Parents out there?

Really think we need a single parents mega forum - saves us having to bump the thread.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Positve vibes and lots of lurve only from wet and rainy lancashire I did have a bit of a wobble a while back but am now back and fully focused - if not a little insane by all the waiting.
I think the turning point was when i FINALLY decided exactly where i was going to head to. You may have seen my posts where i have been considering pretty much every corner of Australia (well except Darwin perhaps!) I am now settled on Bunbury. despite never having been there I just know it is where I want to be. I have contacted the schools and i have tracked down some teenage kids same ages as mine who go to the schools so the my kids now feel much happier about first day at school - when it finally arrives
In some ways i think i have found it easier than if i had a partner to consult about everything. At least this way there is only myself to argue with
good luck to us all - we all ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I agree on the 'deciding on somewhere'... I still havent decided and its bugging me!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Positve vibes and lots of lurve only from wet and rainy lancashire I did have a bit of a wobble a while back but am now back and fully focused - if not a little insane by all the waiting.
I think the turning point was when i FINALLY decided exactly where i was going to head to. You may have seen my posts where i have been considering pretty much every corner of Australia (well except Darwin perhaps!) I am now settled on Bunbury. despite never having been there I just know it is where I want to be. I have contacted the schools and i have tracked down some teenage kids same ages as mine who go to the schools so the my kids now feel much happier about first day at school - when it finally arrives
In some ways i think i have found it easier than if i had a partner to consult about everything. At least this way there is only myself to argue with
good luck to us all - we all ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Why Bunbury if you've never been there?
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:25 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Where is Bunbury? Sounds like a one horse town.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I researched Bunbury and it sounds like a really nice place and was high on my list but a job interview has come up in Perth. How did you research schools? It is next on my very long list of things to sort out. Its so nice to know there are other single parents doing the same as me I dont feel crazy anymore
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Clara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud of

Hi Mandy

This is main worry!

I have looked at the schools web sites (I googled and wikkipedia areas a lot!) and they all sound great so I think you have to allow the time to visit and meet the teachers etc. Some web sites are more up to date than others and give term dates etc Some give details of uniforms and this has had my daughters interest. LOL

I think this is the hardest part because it is a long term decision (you always change jobs but changing schools again would kill my daughter so I have to make the right decision. When I moved in the UK I moved to be near a good school but I just don't feel there is a way of telling from so far away!

Good luck
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Clara, I feel the same as you and my daughter is already worried about the uniform and if there is a Top shop in Perth! She has been on line viewing all of the shops in Perth. I just want to get it right for her. My son who is 16 is staying in the UK to finish his A levels but every day he changes his mind, it depends on how much homework he has been given. I am going to be researching schools all week so if I come up with any good sites/info I will post them.

All of the schools sound good on paper but my daughter needs a mixture of academic and social life. Being 14 she has already made a good network of friends and she is going to find it hard to move. Its just another thing for me to feel guilty about thats why i want to get it right.

Good luck
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Where is Bunbury? Sounds like a one horse town.
It is
Old Sep 24th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Why Bunbury if you've never been there?
hello there you! Long time no see!
Why Bunbury?? Good question. To begin with I prefer south of the river from my ok somewhat limited experience of the place! (dont shoot me - its just the way i have felt when there) I then started lookin at loads of suburbs and was really scared by the house prices. It is very important to me to be able to buy asap. I just need my security. You may laugh but to me its a big deal to have somewhere that is mine. I also want to be by the beach, (well near enough for kids to get there under their own steam). The first sort of suburbs that had houses i could probably afford to buy was around Kwinana, all sounded good until i did a bit of research and found perhaps it wasnt really for me. I then gradually moved further south. lead primarily by the housing market. When i came upon Bunbury house prices i decided to have a better look into it and spoke to lots of people around there, through this site and others, emailed employment agencies and hospitality employers, schools and it all came back very positive. I figured if i aim to live somewhere arouind Australind/Eaton area i am near enough to Bunbury for work but it is also possible to get ot Mandurah if need be. I guess at a push if i was prepared to travel i could get into city to work but it would only be a temporary measure.
At the end of the day I am trusting my gut feeling. I love living where i do in the UK, approx an hour from hustle and bustle of the city but i couldnt live and work in it all day, Im a bit of a country gal at heart!
I will land in Australia with all the determination anyone can have. I will head to Bunbury and plan to settle there BUT if it REALLY doesnt work there I will move on. After moving to the opposite side of the world moving within a state or country cant be that hard surely
Old Sep 24th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by midwife-mandy
Hi, I researched Bunbury and it sounds like a really nice place and was high on my list but a job interview has come up in Perth. How did you research schools? It is next on my very long list of things to sort out. Its so nice to know there are other single parents doing the same as me I dont feel crazy anymore

I have a pretty unique BUT very succesful way of researching schools PM me (all perfectly above board and legal!!)
Old Sep 24th 2007, 7:40 pm
Canberra bound

Hi sorry to go off the subject and I have already posted my news in a new post but I wanted to reassure others that things can go right. I won't go into the detail as Iv'e already posted it before but life hasn't been that easy in terms of my son's ''''father'''''. We got our court order today for removal from jurisdiction and I finally feel like the system has worked for me. I appreciate my circumstances will be different in terms of experiences and visas etc but we are all striving for the same thing.

My journey has really only begun and I have the joy of putting the house up for sale and dealing with the ruddy Aus Embassy for passports but please don't give up.

Single parents have received a rough deal in the past - seen as peasants and spongers but we aren't.

We bring up healthy and well balanced kids and we dare to be different and this thread shows that in buckets loads. We can do anything we want to - it may just take a little longer than others - but sometimes not.

Hey we get to decide what goes in the boxes and we don't have to confer with someone else.

Being a SP or a SPWGUG (single parent with get up and go) is something to be proud of.

SORRY SPEECH OVER. OOh my wine glass is nearly empty..
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:18 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

I commend your courage, girls, it's a brave step you're taking. I didn't come as a single parent, but might just as well have been................
If any of you coming to Perth need a suurogate grandma (south of river), I'm more than happy to oblige! PM me
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Hi sorry to go off the subject and I have already posted my news in a new post but I wanted to reassure others that things can go right. I won't go into the detail as Iv'e already posted it before but life hasn't been that easy in terms of my son's ''''father'''''. We got our court order today for removal from jurisdiction and I finally feel like the system has worked for me. I appreciate my circumstances will be different in terms of experiences and visas etc but we are all striving for the same thing.

My journey has really only begun and I have the joy of putting the house up for sale and dealing with the ruddy Aus Embassy for passports but please don't give up.

Single parents have received a rough deal in the past - seen as peasants and spongers but we aren't.

We bring up healthy and well balanced kids and we dare to be different and this thread shows that in buckets loads. We can do anything we want to - it may just take a little longer than others - but sometimes not.

Hey we get to decide what goes in the boxes and we don't have to confer with someone else.

Being a SP or a SPWGUG (single parent with get up and go) is something to be proud of.

SORRY SPEECH OVER. OOh my wine glass is nearly empty..
Well said!!! Always annoys me when it is quoted as a dilinquant (sp?) from a single parent family!
My three are some of the best mannered, pleasant and well balanced kids anyone will ever meet and all are achieving well at school or Uni in my eldests case! (first one in family to go to uni!)
I think we are setting really good examples to our kids about how anything is really possible if you really want it
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daunted
Well said!!! Always annoys me when it is quoted as a dilinquant (sp?) from a single parent family!
My three are some of the best mannered, pleasant and well balanced kids anyone will ever meet and all are achieving well at school or Uni in my eldests case! (first one in family to go to uni!)
I think we are setting really good examples to our kids about how anything is really possible if you really want it
Hear, hear. Well said I totally agree.
My son is hard working, polite, well educated and everyone comments what a lovely, considerate, thoughtful person he is.
Didn't do him the slightest bit of harm being raised by a single mum.
Don't think it would make the slightest bit of difference either with regards our move to Oz whether there was one parent or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.