Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Single Parents out there?

Any Single Parents out there?

Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Single Parents out there?

Originally Posted by Clara W
Daunted
I have only looked at the northern suburbs so far as travelling into the city for work. When I visited, the journey looked relatively easy. Despite having my hire car number pates stolen. I just want to be a near to the sea as possible but I am not sure if I will ever be able to own a house / apartment anywhere near Perth with the prices the way they are. I have always owned my own house!

What is your time scale now?

Seniors was the club my mother went to not a suburb LOL.. Sorry I did make it sound like that... She loves the outdoor life and I thought I know where I would rather get old!

Natmcg
Thanks for your encouragement your children are young to move across country!! I am glad you are enjoying Perth more. I think my biggest fear is making friends because I have such good ones here!! But most of them were made through work and I guess I can do it again!
Sorry to hear you had your car number plates stolen from the northern suburbs........ it was probably the same barsteward who scratched my Jag with a key all down one side.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Clara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud of

Ah things happen everywhere.... I don't trust park and rides anywhere I had the actual car stolen in Cardiff and at this very moment my little Citroen is hiding in my garage after being beaten up by a Vauxhall on Sunday!!

It hasn't put me off northern suburbs at all!!! Can't come quick enough now!

I just hope that you say is right about making friends through the school. My daughter isn't at all sporty so it will all be down to me! (I am certainly not sporty so I can't blame her) BUT that is why we are moving to leave the TV behind and get outside!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clara W
Daunted
I have only looked at the northern suburbs so far as travelling into the city for work. When I visited, the journey looked relatively easy. Despite having my hire car number pates stolen. I just want to be a near to the sea as possible but I am not sure if I will ever be able to own a house / apartment anywhere near Perth with the prices the way they are. I have always owned my own house!

What is your time scale now?

Seniors was the club my mother went to not a suburb LOL.. Sorry I did make it sound like that... She loves the outdoor life and I thought I know where I would rather get old!

Natmcg
Thanks for your encouragement your children are young to move across country!! I am glad you are enjoying Perth more. I think my biggest fear is making friends because I have such good ones here!! But most of them were made through work and I guess I can do it again!

Im so confused by all the suburbs i just presumed Seniors was another one
I wonder why anyone would bother nicking hte car number plates well unless they were planning an armed robbery and then i guess it would make perfect sense
I dont think you should worry too much about making friends. I think it would be much harder without children as you dont get to meet the parents of kids friends etc etc and like you said work provides opportunity to form friendships.
I cant wait to be there now. I am an April applicant and had full ack on 25th July but no case officer yet. My pcc have been sent for and we had our medicals on 7 aug, the doc is now on holiday so wont be vetting our blood results and sending htem off until he is back in couple of weeks :curse: Hopefully the back log will have cleared a little by then. I had hoped to go end of November but dont see that happening now.
How about you ? where are you upto in all this craziness??

Natmcg - ditto what clara said. Its lovely to hear that the end of your relationship didnt signal the end of your australian life. It was hard going through the same thing in hte uK with my family around me so couldnt have been easy so far away. we uk birds are made of tough stuff hey??

PS: i LURVE australian REAL estate agents
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Clara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud ofClara W has much to be proud of

Well we started our journey in February with my application going off to VETASSESS. This all came back 2 months later not certified properly by my solicitors. Oh I was so happy!!! All went again and finally passed 2nd July. My application then went off on the 17th July and we aim for medicals in October. I would love to be there in January (very ambitious now) but with the new school year starting in February I told my daughter we would do our best to be there in time.

Did you find you ranting email to your mum you were going to send? I hate it when PC's eat things!!

Have you been to Perth? If so where did you like?

NAMMCG where do you live/ recommend?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:19 am
Australia since 09/2001

Location: Chichester > Wellington 04/00 > Melbourne 09/01 > Perth 12/06
natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice

Natmcg
You'll be fine :-) I came here not knowing the city at all or anyone in it. Eight months on I have a superb network around me and feel completely at home. As someone else has said, the thing to avoid is sitting at home and moping - I think it's best to hit the ground running and network, network, network. Join all sorts of things - always the numbers game - if you just get one friend from joining something then it's been worth it.

I like the Southern Suburbs (considered distinctly 'lesser' by the Northern Suburbs!) ...I think the view here is better though ;-) I'm central enough though that I guess I'm pretty much in the middle irrespective. Very fortunate. All the best
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Hi
I am a single parent and first started thinking about emigrating when my kids were early secondary school.
I didn't do anything about it then, so they could sit exams, finish school etc, which I realise now might have been a mistake.
My youngest has just turned 18 and started a job a few days ago.
We all have visas now and flights booked for nov. (daughter staying to finish uni).
He is now thinking about staying here and leaving him and going on my own is not what I had in mind, starting a new life as a family etc.
On the social side I found this website seems to be based all over Australia.
Groups of people getting together for social activities, sports etc
www.getalife.co.au
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pata
Hi
I am a single parent and first started thinking about emigrating when my kids were early secondary school.
I didn't do anything about it then, so they could sit exams, finish school etc, which I realise now might have been a mistake.
My youngest has just turned 18 and started a job a few days ago.
We all have visas now and flights booked for nov. (daughter staying to finish uni).
He is now thinking about staying here and leaving him and going on my own is not what I had in mind, starting a new life as a family etc.
On the social side I found this website seems to be based all over Australia.
Groups of people getting together for social activities, sports etc
www.getalife.co.au
Sorry that link is wrong its www.getalife.com.au
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping for Em
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

now its back on front page HOW is everyone doing???
Im still in UK waiting for med clearance from LCU. They only got signed for on 2 Sept so in for a bit of a wait yet im afraid.
have decided on Bunbury - feel so much better having made the decision on WHERE to go ! wanted to be there for christmas but looking a bit dodgy now
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Ahhh suddenly i dont feel so alone or crazy!

I am actually an aussie citizen but been living in uk since 94... and now have 2 lovely children aged 12 and 9 in tow so the move back home is somewhat more difficult!

Added to that i hate my job or at least my managers and am seriously tempted going on the sick whilst i find another job here in uk til we leave for nsw or qld in Feb/mar.

Oh the stress and in reality i would just love to jump on a plane tomorrow and say ***holes to work!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:03 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Ahhh suddenly i dont feel so alone or crazy!

I am actually an aussie citizen but been living in uk since 94... and now have 2 lovely children aged 12 and 9 in tow so the move back home is somewhat more difficult!

Added to that i hate my job or at least my managers and am seriously tempted going on the sick whilst i find another job here in uk til we leave for nsw or qld in Feb/mar.

Oh the stress and in reality i would just love to jump on a plane tomorrow and say ***holes to work!

I'm too an oz that is also homeward bound.Moved here in 95. I have my court date on Monday for the court order to leave the Uk (gone through all the cafcass stuff etc) and am waiting for 'him' to see if he will sign the oz passport applications. I'm sick of being a single parent with no family here. Sorry to whinge I don't hate life here - just want the whole permission crut to be over so I know that I can go back.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

suzy 1 will become famous soon enoughsuzy 1 will become famous soon enough

Me and my 2 yr old daughter are off to Perth dec time, exciting/scary as a single parent (and returning to full time work!) have some short term back up in the fact that my friend is coming out on a working holiday visa for a while. Anyone heading in the same direction with young ones?
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone, I am hoping to move to Perth with my two teenage children in March 08. I am in the middle of the visa process and have a job interview next week for a full time position in a large Perth hospital. I was feeling a bit daunted yesterday and then i found this forum! I spent hours reading all of the information and chat and now I am feeling positive again. I would just like to say hello to all of you and wish you all luck
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I just want to wish each and every one of you the very best . I know you will all be fine once you have settled in. My stepson works in the Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth and just loves it . Much love to all of you and may you be here soon....Bindi xxx
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone

Good to catch up!

I am still heading for Perth early next year (hopefully) and I am pleased to see our gang is getting bigger!

I have no doubts I am doing the right thing for me and my daughter (12) and I can't wait to just be there now!

Daunted ~ glad to see you have chosen stay positive!

Good luck everyone OZ.... here we come!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.