Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any single parents???

Any single parents???

Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any single parents???

I was wondering if anybody who has already made the move has done so as a single parent. If so, how did they manage? Is it possible to cope financially without a struggle?

Also, what about family payments or the equivelant of child benefit, child tax credits. Is it possible to claim anything like this if you have money from a house sale? Or is everything means tested? It's just that I am hoping to have a little left over from the sale of my house, but was hoping to use it as a deposit to buy a property when we're over there. Don't want it to dwindle away .
Tracey
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any single parents???

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I was wondering if anybody who has already made the move has done so as a single parent. If so, how did they manage? Is it possible to cope financially without a struggle?

Also, what about family payments or the equivelant of child benefit, child tax credits. Is it possible to claim anything like this if you have money from a house sale? Or is everything means tested? It's just that I am hoping to have a little left over from the sale of my house, but was hoping to use it as a deposit to buy a property when we're over there. Don't want it to dwindle away .
Tracey

For the equivalent of child benefit, visit http://www.centrelink.gov.au and look up Family Tax Benefit.

Most government payments in Australia are means tested.

Jeremy
Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:36 am
ABCDiamond

Also, what about family payments or the equivelant of child benefit, child tax credits. Is it possible to claim anything like this if you have money from a house sale? Or is everything means tested?
Tracey,
Family Tax Benefit Part A & B has an Income test, but not an Asset test.

Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Tracey

I'm a single parent and I'm presently on a temp visa hoping the permanent will be here soon!! Sorry I can't help with Centrelink payments because you're not entitled to anything on a temporary visa.
I was used to struggling financially at home and I must say it doesn't seem has bad here but I still never have any money left at the end of the month
Mandy
Old Jan 11th 2005, 3:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
I still never have any money left at the end of the month
Mandy
Does anybody I think we all, or at least most of us, spend all of what we have coming in, no matter what the figure is

That's why I dont bother working, my wife would only spend it (and no, she doesn't read these forums

Old Jan 11th 2005, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks for your help.
Ithink you are right that everybody spends whatever they have, no matter what.

BTW I have looked on your website ABC and it is very helpful and informative. Well done. I need all the info I can get at the moment.

I just want to be over there now. Looking forward to leaving more every day.
Not long now though!!!
Tracey.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Talking Re: Any single parents???

Tracey
Hi Tracey
I am also a single parent hopefully moving at the end of this year. Glad to know im not the only one. What made you decide to go?? How have your family and friends reacted? Good luck with the move i hope you find a better life for you and your kidsx

Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Hi Tracey
I am also a single parent hopefully moving at the end of this year. Glad to know im not the only one. What made you decide to go?? How have your family and friends reacted? Good luck with the move i hope you find a better life for you and your kidsx

Initially decided to go as we thought it would be a better lifestyle more things to do outdoors and the weather to do it. Thought it would be a good opportunity for the kids. Was initially going with husband, but unfortunately he died just before christmas. I have decided that I am still going but more nervous now! It's a worry when everything depends on you.

Friends and family haven't really said much about me going, but people used to say we were brave or mad or both for going anyway.

Now looking at it as a fresh start. Can't wait to go really. What about you? Where are you planning on going? How old are your children and what do they think about it all? Also where in kent are you from? I was born in Margate but moved up North when I was 9.
Tracey.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Initially decided to go as we thought it would be a better lifestyle more things to do outdoors and the weather to do it. Thought it would be a good opportunity for the kids. Was initially going with husband, but unfortunately he died just before christmas. I have decided that I am still going but more nervous now! It's a worry when everything depends on you.

Friends and family haven't really said much about me going, but people used to say we were brave or mad or both for going anyway.

Now looking at it as a fresh start. Can't wait to go really. What about you? Where are you planning on going? How old are your children and what do they think about it all? Also where in kent are you from? I was born in Margate but moved up North when I was 9.
Tracey.
I have one daughter...aged 7. She fluctuates between being excited about going (as she has some family on her Dads side out there) and being apprehensive about missing the cat/her Nan.(In that order of course)
So sorry to hear about your husband....I think you are really brave to continue with your plans as it is a whole different prospect doing it single handed. I hope it is the fresh start that you are seeking...Im sure it will be.
I live in Sidcup and am heading for the Sunshine Coast (hopefully) at the end of the year if all goes well.
Have you visited before?Did you say where you were going? How are your kids bearing up and how do they feel about going now?
Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have one daughter...aged 7. She fluctuates between being excited about going (as she has some family on her Dads side out there) and being apprehensive about missing the cat/her Nan.(In that order of course)
So sorry to hear about your husband....I think you are really brave to continue with your plans as it is a whole different prospect doing it single handed. I hope it is the fresh start that you are seeking...Im sure it will be.
I live in Sidcup and am heading for the Sunshine Coast (hopefully) at the end of the year if all goes well.
Have you visited before?Did you say where you were going? How are your kids bearing up and how do they feel about going now?
Hi,
We visited back in October to validate our visas. We went to Brisbane, South Stradbroke island, Broadbeach and Nerang. Didn't look at housing or anything just had a holiday really. With hindsight not sure whether we should have made more of an effort to look into things.

Really liked Brisbane. I did manage to go and look round a unit in a hospital while I was there. Looks promising for a job. Fingers crossed. This is the area I would like to be (I think).

It's difficult. I don't know anybody at all over there so it makes no difference where we go really. I would ideally like to be somewhere near the coast so that the kids can go down to the beach. Somewhere with decent schools and plenty of young people so the kids can make friends. My options are more limited now as I am more restricted financially. Keep hearing of places on this site and decide I like it there. Might just arrive, rent somewhere in Brisbane for a few weeks and see what happens.

The kids seem to be bearing up quite well considering. Maybe it's because my husband worked away from home a lot so hasn't sunk in yet. Who knows. They all say they're fine when I ask. Don't like to ask them all the time. I think I am doing there heads in!

Mixed emotions with them all i think. Looking forward to going but sad about leaving their friends. That's the same for everyone I suppose, adult or child.

Personally, I can't wait to get over there!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,
We visited back in October to validate our visas. We went to Brisbane, South Stradbroke island, Broadbeach and Nerang. Didn't look at housing or anything just had a holiday really. With hindsight not sure whether we should have made more of an effort to look into things.

Really liked Brisbane. I did manage to go and look round a unit in a hospital while I was there. Looks promising for a job. Fingers crossed. This is the area I would like to be (I think).

It's difficult. I don't know anybody at all over there so it makes no difference where we go really. I would ideally like to be somewhere near the coast so that the kids can go down to the beach. Somewhere with decent schools and plenty of young people so the kids can make friends. My options are more limited now as I am more restricted financially. Keep hearing of places on this site and decide I like it there. Might just arrive, rent somewhere in Brisbane for a few weeks and see what happens.

The kids seem to be bearing up quite well considering. Maybe it's because my husband worked away from home a lot so hasn't sunk in yet. Who knows. They all say they're fine when I ask. Don't like to ask them all the time. I think I am doing there heads in!

Mixed emotions with them all i think. Looking forward to going but sad about leaving their friends. That's the same for everyone I suppose, adult or child.

Personally, I can't wait to get over there!

I am similar. want to go out to Sunshine Coast......somewhere near the coast then look around at all the areas nearby and see where i want to settle.

So you already have your visas? Lucky you. At least there is no waiting around left. When are you planning on going? Do you have to sell a house etc or is that all sorted?

I fluctuate between being desperate to get out there and feeling really anxious about having no-one to support me with anything(emotionally etc) I know when i went out to visit I never gave anyone/anything here a second thought! it felt like being on another planet not country. What with the time difference making it hard to communicate etc but the finality of living there sometimes freaks me out
Old Jan 11th 2005, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am similar. want to go out to Sunshine Coast......somewhere near the coast then look around at all the areas nearby and see where i want to settle.

So you already have your visas? Lucky you. At least there is no waiting around left. When are you planning on going? Do you have to sell a house etc or is that all sorted?

I fluctuate between being desperate to get out there and feeling really anxious about having no-one to support me with anything(emotionally etc) I know when i went out to visit I never gave anyone/anything here a second thought! it felt like being on another planet not country. What with the time difference making it hard to communicate etc but the finality of living there sometimes freaks me out
I am totally scared about going and for the same reasons but still can't wait. If I didn't go I know I will always regret it.

I do have a house to sell but haven't put it on the market yet. Waiting until the end of next month as I don't want to go till August. Waiting for my oldest to leave school and get her results.
The house sale is my next big stressor. Had planned to hand in my notice at work for the end of July. Now reading other peoples posts and the problems they are having with their house am worried in case mine doesn't sell in time.
I need to do less worrying and more wine drinking, then I might be able to sleep better at night!!!
Tracey.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am totally scared about going and for the same reasons but still can't wait. If I didn't go I know I will always regret it.

I do have a house to sell but haven't put it on the market yet. Waiting until the end of next month as I don't want to go till August. Waiting for my oldest to leave school and get her results.
The house sale is my next big stressor. Had planned to hand in my notice at work for the end of July. Now reading other peoples posts and the problems they are having with their house am worried in case mine doesn't sell in time.
I need to do less worrying and more wine drinking, then I might be able to sleep better at night!!!
Tracey.
Why dont you put your house on the market and then drag your feet with the sale? Most take about 4 months anyway, in my experience, and thats when you want it to go through quickly!!
Too true about the drinking. Since New Year im on a bit of a detox- have not smoked or drunk since. Cant sleep a bloody wink So much for it being good for you!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 5:05 am
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to let you know ,the people on this forum are great for giving information about pretty much anything.
From my experience, the hardest part of leaving is actually getting on the plane,once you are here you won't look back.
You should also contact sue vitnall at newcomersnetwork.com.
She is a great source of help of all kinds.
I firmly believe that the lifestyle is far better here than in the UK.
People are loads more easy going .
Living in Australia is as good or as bad as you want it to be ,it's up to you to make it work.
My clients tell me their kids have settled in just fine here,no worries.
Just keep asking away on this and the Britvics forum if you need any support or information.

Steve
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Deelia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

For those moving to the Brisbane area, there is a great service called "Brisbane Bound" which is a settlement service provided by British expats who migrating there a few years back. Definitely worth checking out and getting in contact, for contacts if nothing else. The website is: www.Brisbanebound.com.

Deelia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.