British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any Singaporean Migrants? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-singaporean-migrants-502012/)

cookiemonster Dec 28th 2007 8:47 am

Any Singaporean Migrants?

Any Singaporean Migrants? Did you give up your Singaporean Citizenship? How your life? Which part of Australia you staying?

I have no relative/friends in Australia before settled in there.

Kooky. Dec 28th 2007 9:17 am

Re: Any Singaporean Migrants?

There are lots of Singaporeans in Australia; it seems to be a favoured destination for migration. I personally know some in Melbourne - both Indian and Chinese Singaporeans. I know others who have studied there and then moved back.

I don't mean to be kaypoh, cookiemonster, but do you mind telling me why you want to move there if you know nobody? Have you visited Australia, do you have a job lined up, do you know which city you will move to? It's a big move to make alone, without considering all factors. Don't make it on a whim.

As a Singaporean you should know there is no such thing as Dual Nationality for a Singaporean so taking Australian citizenship is also a big thing.

Geelong Gent Dec 28th 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by cookiemonster (Post 5711679)
Any Singaporean Migrants? Did you give up your Singaporean Citizenship? How your life? Which part of Australia you staying?

I have no relative/friends in Australia before settled in there.

Wife has retained her Citizenship, but others are holding dual :sneaky: just not telling Singapore.

We are in Melbourne

Miss chilli Crab but thats all.

Kooky. Dec 28th 2007 9:36 am

Have heard about that, GG - any risks involved? Not that I'm Singaporean but it might help the cookiemonster.

Have to be honest, cookiemonster, you might be better asking on a local Singapore forum. I could recommend one where they have a section on migration but it doubles as a sex trade forum so I'd better not do it in a post.

Chilli crab is a very messy, labour intensive treat. :D (Want me to send you a spice mix? Recently sent a care package to a friend who's moved to Philly and got withdrawal for mee goreng.)

cookiemonster Dec 29th 2007 8:07 am

what forums people complaining they give up pr visa status, i am booking a flight on 24jan, arrived on 25jan. can i PM to any kind person regarding about accommodation in Perth

Geelong Gent Dec 29th 2007 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 5711784)
Have heard about that, GG - any risks involved? Not that I'm Singaporean but it might help the cookiemonster.

Have to be honest, cookiemonster, you might be better asking on a local Singapore forum. I could recommend one where they have a section on migration but it doubles as a sex trade forum so I'd better not do it in a post.

Chilli crab is a very messy, labour intensive treat. :D (Want me to send you a spice mix? Recently sent a care package to a friend who's moved to Philly and got withdrawal for mee goreng.)

Appreciation for good food is Melbourne - similar to Singapore and KL.

Plenty of mee goreng over here:D

Can not advice on Perth CM. But Melbourne is very easy place to live if ex singaporean or chinese. plenty of Chinese shops for food cooking essentials (and advice). No racial issues (so far have we faced).

moneypenny20 Dec 29th 2007 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 5711784)
. could recommend one where they have a section on migration but it doubles as a sex trade forum so I'd better not do it in a post.

Blimey, you could get more than you bargained for :ohmy: Always knew BE was lightweight :lol:

cookiemonster Dec 29th 2007 1:27 pm

Geelong Gent, I love melbourne too, which part you staying? any recommend room rental available on jan 08. melbourne is a nice place. looking in melbourne.

Geelong Gent Dec 29th 2007 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5715618)
Blimey, you could get more than you bargained for :ohmy: Always knew BE was lightweight :lol:

After the recent spate of polls what is the difference :p

Geelong Gent Dec 29th 2007 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by cookiemonster (Post 5715880)
Geelong Gent, I love melbourne too, which part you staying? any recommend room rental available on jan 08. melbourne is a nice place. looking in melbourne.

During school term we are based around Armdale/Malvern/Toorak but now its summer we are down in our investment property in Seaford.

Check out www,Thegumtree.com.au

PTM Apr 10th 2008 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 5711745)
Wife has retained her Citizenship, but others are holding dual :sneaky: just not telling Singapore.

We are in Melbourne

Miss chilli Crab but thats all.

Hi Geelong,

How can you maintain dual citizenship without Singapore knowing? Kindly advise.

PTM

Geelong Gent Apr 10th 2008 5:34 am

Originally Posted by PTM (Post 6186609)
Hi Geelong,

PTM

Because they dont tell;)

NKSK version 2 Apr 10th 2008 5:48 am

Originally Posted by PTM (Post 6186609)
Hi Geelong,

PTM

I'd be interested in these replies also.

BTW Perth has lots of Singaporeans also. And the usual culinary delights - nasi lemak, laksa etc etc. But I haven't found good chilli crab yet. I tend to make my own but the crabs aren't as good as the ones we used to get in SE Asia).

("Australian crabs are NOT INFERIOR."
"Australian crabs are just different that's all - not worse, just different"
"Austro-CRABTASTIC!!"
"If you don't like our crabs, you should just leave".
"If you move to Australia you have to accept the Australian way of crab"
"You think Australian crabs are crap but look at these pictures of UK crabs:

tiny crab UK
Another tiny UK crab
And another tiny UK crab