Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Scuba Divers

Any Scuba Divers

Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:58 am
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road
Default Any Scuba Divers

Reason for this post is where ever i go i love snorkling but i can,t swim i don,t have a fear of being under water i,ll take the plundge any time, I can use flippers and would love to do some scuba diving ,so do you have to be a good swimmer first did lear n to swim once only a couple of breaths though and then got fat and lazy
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:36 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Scuba Divers

Originally Posted by pike
Reason for this post is where ever i go i love snorkling but i can,t swim i don,t have a fear of being under water i,ll take the plundge any time, I can use flippers and would love to do some scuba diving ,so do you have to be a good swimmer first did lear n to swim once only a couple of breaths though and then got fat and lazy
To get your PADI (Pay And Die Instantly )qualifications you have to tread water for 10 mins and do a 200M swim. After that then no you don't hav to be the worlds best athlete. On saying that walking down the pier with all your gear on and then back when your finished is a killer
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:55 pm
stuck in twilight

No problem treading water, but 200 mts that would be a laugh and im used to hauling weight around on me back.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:54 pm
Going to Perth late 2005

timk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by HUP
To get your PADI (Pay And Die Instantly )qualifications you have to tread water for 10 mins and do a 200M swim. After that then no you don't hav to be the worlds best athlete. On saying that walking down the pier with all your gear on and then back when your finished is a killer
I have approx 80 dives under my belt and I am a very poor swimmer, in both technique and stamina. During my PADI open waters course, my feet touched the bottom quite a few times during the treading water, don't remember having to swim 200m.

Hoping to take the diving up again when reaching perth later this year (if all goes to plan)

tim
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:23 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timk
I have approx 80 dives under my belt and I am a very poor swimmer, in both technique and stamina. During my PADI open waters course, my feet touched the bottom quite a few times during the treading water, don't remember having to swim 200m.

Hoping to take the diving up again when reaching perth later this year (if all goes to plan)

tim
Dont forget you have to do a medical ! Or dont they do that anymore? Do the Medic First Aid exam - that'll get you fit !!!!!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:42 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timk

tim
I'm just answering on HUPs behalf (nothing new there then) cos hes snoozing, but he took his PADI about an hour out at sea, so he would have had major problems touching the bottom even though he's 6ft 5 He had to do the 200 meter swim for sure, round and round the boat, i know, i was heckling errm i mean cheering him on

As for the medical, i'm pretty sure he had one yes, but maybe i'll shut up and let him confirm that one
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:35 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my open water last year. The medical cost $50 (may vary). Mainly examining the ears (you do not want dodgy ears underwater) and the heart beat, lung capacity, blood pressure. You have as long as you want on the 200m swim. The 10 min treading isn't that bad.
The course normally takes 4 days.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:41 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
I got my open water last year. The medical cost $50 (may vary). Mainly examining the ears (you do not want dodgy ears underwater) and the heart beat, lung capacity, blood pressure. You have as long as you want on the 200m swim. The 10 min treading isn't that bad.
The course normally takes 4 days.

Likewise for me. I think you'd want to be able to swim that 200meters fairly comfortably as I've had a few occasions when waiting for the tender to pick you up would take longer than the swim back to the boat. Plus, as part of your open water you need to be able to do a tired-diver tow and this is probably 25m swim pushing/pulling someone else.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Likewise for me. I think you'd want to be able to swim that 200meters fairly comfortably as I've had a few occasions when waiting for the tender to pick you up would take longer than the swim back to the boat. Plus, as part of your open water you need to be able to do a tired-diver tow and this is probably 25m swim pushing/pulling someone else.
Ended having to do that on the final dive of the course as my buddy got motion sickness underwater. She vomited on her BCD whilst I was towing her in.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:10 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Ended having to do that on the final dive of the course as my buddy got motion sickness underwater. She vomited on her BCD whilst I was towing her in.

Eeeeeeeeeugh yuck I remember a guy on my trip who was doing one of the rescue courses, telling me about someone who had done that in their regulator when underwater, can't be pleasant at all
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:20 pm
ad4ozz

Smile Re: Any Scuba Divers

The 200 meters can be in any stroke as well including on your back so it's not hard.

You have to have one proper medical and after that do yearly self form fill in this country at present (UK not sure about once in Oz). Medical prices here varied from £25 in brown paper bag to £120 over the counter.

I can swim but have crap leg strength so use Force Fins which are ideal for the easily knackered... .

Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice

Originally Posted by pike
I wouldn't recommend anyone who isn't a half decent swimmer to start diving. Most diving emergencies take place at the surface, and being comfortable swimming is a big advantage. Plus, as someone said earlier, if you can't rescue your buddy that's an issue.

Bottom line, don't do it. If you're really keen, learn to swim. I know loads of people who've learnt to swim later than childhood, and are much better than me !
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Eeeeeeeeeugh yuck I remember a guy on my trip who was doing one of the rescue courses, telling me about someone who had done that in their regulator when underwater, can't be pleasant at all
I've seen someone blow chunks into a regulator. It's no problem, but attracts loads of fish !
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:34 am
stuck in twilight

Just booked some lessons for me and the wife thought what the hell could do with the exercise and beeing in water is too much fun too miss out on especialy with the kids who are realy good swimmers
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:41 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bodger
I've seen someone blow chunks into a regulator. It's no problem, but attracts loads of fish !

I was teaching up in Darwin a few years ago - and saw someone do that - first (and last) time i had ever seen it - is amazing, like Bodger says - it is a feeding frenzy of fish !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.