Reload this Page >

Any regrets anyone?

Any regrets anyone?

Old Oct 17th 2002, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any regrets anyone?

Hi

All i can say to this thread is Everyone is different what doesn`t work out for one person may be the making of another. Life is to short. Everyone at one time or another hates where they are and yes Australia will be a strange new concept to those hoping to live there but life is what you make it and you can always come back to the UK possibly broke but you can always say at least i tried it.

There will always be the negative side in anything but that will always be an individual negativity.

Footie chick
Old Oct 17th 2002, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shona

No- i dont know anyone who has gone and come back. I know a few who have come back, realised their mistake and returned- does that help?

Hope to see you out there- all of you.

Love

Nicky
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Ceri,
If you are that damn unhappy, why don't you pee off and go back to England.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by micky:
For anyone who has had doubts - but has made the move, 'for a better way of life', ever regretted it?
We've heard the stories of folk who have been and love it but not of those who have arrived & hate it.

SAM xxx (new sign off name)
(Shona And Michael)
Hi SAM,

Our rellies have been in Adelaide now for 12 years and have never regreted going, they only thing they did regret was not doin it sooner !

I asked if she'd ever thought about coming back to England for a holiday and the reply was not in the winter it'd kill me off.
Lots of people suffer arthritis and in the winter months their joints can be more painful, I for one can't wait to go at least I won't be one of them.

Julie
Adelaide by early 2003
Old Oct 17th 2002, 8:26 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by suebo:
Ceri,
Are you for real??? Lol
Seeing the way you’ve so “charmingly" addressed me: Is your stupidity a born trait or did it take years of practice to get that way?

I cannot go back to a country that I did not come from

I sense you have a real problem; stop worrying about others and concentrate on your own life.
My life is just fine; thanks ever so much for your concern.

While you’re at it I suggest you brush up on your geographical knowledge, and don’t be so insulting next time. Learn your facts before you personally attack someone. I think you should also pick up a dictionary - you do know swearing is a lack of vocabulary don't you?
Old Oct 17th 2002, 9:59 pm
LoungeLizard

I have been in Sydney for about 18 months, and although things are not perfect here (where is?), I do not regret coming to oz. I have been back to see family/friends recently and THAT was tough - made me realise what I left behind. Still, life is not bad here. As with everything, things are what you are prepared to make of it.

Ceri,
You are being awfully aggressive about suebo's post. Did he/she hit a nerve? Anyway, I agree: there's always the option of going back/elsewhere.

Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Herman:

Lots of people here dont want to hear anything negative so you wont be popular for starting this one!
We only ever came to Oz for 2 years on a work transfer and have not regretted it. Its been fantastic. We never expected to stay longer than the 2 years and were surprised when my company offered to sponsor us to stay. Its been a tough decision but on balance we have decided to return to England. So, no regrets at all after 2 years here.
My step sister and husband emigrated to the Gold Coast 5 years ago or so and after 2 years they still loved it. After 3 years they began to get the odd twinge of regret and now after 5 years they are totally fed up with the GC and plan to return to England. Materially they have an awesome life compared to the UK but they say life on the GC is too insular for them and they find it a dull and lonely existence compared to England. Even after 5 years there they do not have what you might call 'deep' friendships and they have come to conclusion that they never will there. Their 'best' Australian friends recently abandoned them in a time of crisis, which obviously has left a bitter taste in their mouths. My step sister claims people on the GC only understand a rather shallow 'mateship' and not what really deep friendship means. I think the key in Australia is to participate in team sports - I dont play soccer, rugby or cricket and so dont participate all the macho male bonding with the 'boys' in our office, which means I have a big barrier to get over with most of the guys I work with. I'm afraid gentler hobbies such as photography, cooking, wine tasting and reading wont get you far out here! When an Aussie bloke asks you what you did at the weekend he is likely to walk away mid sentence when you say, "oh we had a quiet one, a stroll around the park, reading on our balcony and then a glass of red and a home cooked meal on Saturday evening....." Anyway, my step sister and husband are prepared to take the material downgrade to live back in Britain.
So no regrets at all from us, but for my step sister and her husband they tell me they regret not returning sooner (before house prices got so scary in England). I think they plan to try to ride out the current high UK house price/weak Australian dollar scenario and hop on a plane the minute this reverses (could be a long wait!).
Herman, you have hit the nail on the head for me here. I have met some very "nice" aussies since coming here in May, but there is very little beyond the "nice". In England, we had many good friends, who we could have stimulating conversations with, a bloody good laugh (good old English sense of humour) and who would be there for us when needed. I really haven't met ANYONE in Oz like that, although I have met people from lots of different walks of life. Even the "professional types" don't seem to have a great deal between the ears when it comes to social intercourse.

For me, the lack of stimulation from others is a BIG drawback to living here - I have two very bright children, and I fear for their future here - OK, so the UK has BIG problems, not least of which is the schooling and crime etc. etc. .(reasons why we tried it here in the first place) but on balance, I think we will probably return to the UK next year, despite loving the climate and scenery here (in Brisbane) - but at least WE DID IT - I will never have to say "I wish I'd done that"...
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri:

Are you for real??? Lol
Seeing the way you’ve so “charmingly" addressed me: Is your stupidity a born trait or did it take years of practice to get that way?

I cannot go back to a country that I did not come from

I sense you have a real problem; stop worrying about others and concentrate on your own life.
My life is just fine; thanks ever so much for your concern.

While you’re at it I suggest you brush up on your geographical knowledge, and don’t be so insulting next time. Learn your facts before you personally attack someone. I think you should also pick up a dictionary - you do know swearing is a lack of vocabulary don't you?
ooo you got me shaking in my boots.....lol..... If you life is "just fine" why are you slagging off Australia so much??????? Expat package in Singas....can't go back to UK, if you are not from England, then I guess you are Irish... Go back to Ireland then... swearing, I don't see a single swear word there. Maybe you should brush up on your vocabulary and learn what a swear word is
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:31 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sydneyrose:

PB, I note your parentage is in question
Is that what you came to search for in oz?
Was daddy an australian?

Wait a minute I will check , one head 2 legs and 2 arms no everything seems normal, no ball and chain I would say a POM.
Came to Oz to do missionary work very hard the natives beyond help but done my best . Good day Petal
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:34 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grub:
Hi Shona

No- i dont know anyone who has gone and come back. I know a few who have come back, realised their mistake and returned- does that help?

Hope to see you out there- all of you.

Love

Nicky
Read your post its utter drivel try again?
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:45 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Juls:

Hi SAM,

Our rellies have been in Adelaide now for 12 years and have never regreted going, they only thing they did regret was not doin it sooner !

I asked if she'd ever thought about coming back to England for a holiday and the reply was not in the winter it'd kill me off.
Lots of people suffer arthritis and in the winter months their joints can be more painful, I for one can't wait to go at least I won't be one of them.

Julie
Adelaide by early 2003

God save me from dreamers ,lots of Australian suffer arthritis in fact my friends wifes arthritis is worse here.
Your rellies most likely cannot afford a holiday in UK and having seen Adelaide I agree with Billy Connolly opinion of it which was ,if the world needed a enema Adelaide was the place to put it.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:53 pm
Banned

Ceri,

Great input thats realy helpful was that the question?
I think Ceri gave an opinion as asked , what did you give same old bollocks , calling someone Irish when they are Welsh shows you are off the planet? if you cannot find your way around UK what hope have you in Australia
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking yo chimp.

i bet the aussies and abos cant wait till you ***** of home to the uk with all the ilegal immigrants and muslim extremist hate westerners uk, you go back to bullshit political correct england sorry ethnic uk person.
i wondered where michial jacksons chimp went,yes its PBarstered no mum or dad. i will see you in 2 years time when you go back to auss for a rest
+ not - about life.
tipper he-mail and snapper.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: yo chimp.

Wait a minute I will check , one head 2 legs and 2 arms no everything seems normal,

and a bollock for a brain get off the internet you anorack and give misses PB a good shaggy you boreing pom.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 12:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

ooo you got me shaking in my boots.....lol..... If you life is "just fine" why are you slagging off Australia so much??????? Expat package in Singas....can't go back to UK, if you are not from England, then I guess you are Irish... Go back to Ireland then... swearing, I don't see a single swear word there. Maybe you should brush up on your vocabulary and learn what a swear word is
Ceri is Welsh! The Welsh Dragon sort of helps
In case I get told to pee off back - I am Irish

The thread requested viewpoints about regrets - I for one found your remark of 'pee off back' an offensive response to a person who had taken the time and effort to write their opinion. I have masses of regrets and masses of reasons to enjoy being here. If I express my viewpoint that I do not think Australia is the best place in the world, will I be wrong?

My main regret is I miss my family very badly, I miss my friends and I am lonely some of the time, I am trying hard to make new contacts and make the best of what we have. I am not a sad loser, I am employed and doing ok finacially but feel I am spending the money accumulated over the last 15 years in the UK on financing my life here. That is not necessarily a bad thing as why not enjoy the fruits of our hard work and live now rather than retirement time. I agree with an earlier post about education for our kids, it worries me too, I am going to have to work hard to understand if I am doing the right thing for them, I am reasearching the differences to help me understand if the educations systems are better or worse, I have been here too short a time at the moment and do not have enough information to make a call. I have lots of visitors planned for the coming months, but what about two/three years time when people have visited and would rather not spend the money to return, not all the people we care about are in the position to make more than one trip ever if at all. $8000 dollars for the return flights for our family is looking very expensive already whilst I am earning Aussie Pesos (and before you shout the locals I know call them that). And also it will take a few years to work up the holiday to be able to take the time to return, only 20 days leave a year ever no increases.

There is a plus side, we are having a life challenging experience, the kids are in awe of the different things they are doing. Husband has changed careers after 22 years in printing, he is feeling excited and different about the next 20 years work, because if this new job does not work out he now has the confidence to try something else again. I have parrots feeding off my bird table, possums keeping hubby awake at night frolicking on the roof.

My sum experience is six months so far - I am no expert on what is right and wrong for anybody else, but I am a master of my own experience.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.