Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for station wagons?

Any recommendations for station wagons?

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:15 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any recommendations for station wagons?

A thread mentioning utes has prompted me to ask:

We will be arriving in a few weeks time in Perth (yippee) and will need to buy a car. Second hand. We are a family of four with golden retreiver and a love of camping. Any ideas? I'm thinking station wagon of some kind or other.

We have a ute here, but I for one can't wait to get rid of it. Love being high up in the cab, but get fed up of having to park at the far end of Tescos so I avoid any dodgy moments of reversing into other people, their cars or posts. I haven't hit anything yet, but hubby has - the highlight being a large post outside my sisters wedding reception venue (in front of most of the guests!) cool, huh!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:02 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Re: Any recommendations for station wagons?

Originally Posted by webgum
We will be arriving in a few weeks time in Perth (yippee) and will need to buy a car. Second hand. We are a family of four with golden retreiver and a love of camping. Any ideas? I'm thinking station wagon of some kind or other.
Falcon wagons are abundant, reasonably powerful, cheap to buy, cheap on parts and easy to fix. On the downside they use a lot of fuel, handle like a blancmange and break down more frequently. I bought a good '92 example (saloon) for AUD 2k.

If you can run to AUD15k ish, I'd buy a v6 Camry wagon. Much more economical and reliable, and dynamically pretty sound for a wagon. Fewer available of course, so parts from wreckers won't be as easy to come by, but then one wouldn't expect it to break as often.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just thought I'd give you a quick reply seeing as now else has yet!

Don't know much about cars but I do know that if you like 'BIG' 'HIGH' vehicles then you are coming to the right country! 4WD are very popular over here as are utes of all sizes! You will be lost for choice! Will be relatively easy for you to find something pretty quick I would think. Second hand cars keep their value well - due to climate or something, less corrosion? Might be better to consider new for all the benefits.

Just make sure you feel comfortable driving/reversing one before you buy! Easy out on the 'BIG' roads in OZ, but not so easy in SUPERMARKET car spaces, although most are slightly bigger than in the UK.

Good luck with your move - hope all your dreams come true for you in Perth!

Take care - have a good flight!

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Go for a Falcon (or as a politically incorrect colleague of mine calls them a "Falcoon")
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by renth
Go for a Falcon (or as a politically incorrect colleague of mine calls them a "Falcoon")

A Ford!!!! Arghhh!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stewie
A Ford!!!! Arghhh!
Just as good/bad as the Holden (who some people mistakenly think is an "Aussie" make of car)
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by webgum
A thread mentioning utes has prompted me to ask:

The big debate in Oz is; is a Holden (Vauxhall) Commodore better than a Ford Falcon? Loads of people drive 4 Litre sedans with V8 engines and think its great! I couldn't afford to run one personally.

We bought a Toyota Camry - really boring as there are loads on the road. There are 2.2/2.6 Litre engines available. It's reliable, holds its price and goes like a dream. We bought the car at a government car auction in Adelaide. It was 2 years old and 30 000km on the clock. We saved about $5000 on the forecourt price of the local Toyota garage. The RAC guy at the place told us we couldn't go wrong with a Toyota, they rarely need fixing!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:55 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by linda_clarky
The big debate in Oz is; is a Holden (Vauxhall) Commodore better than a Ford Falcon? Loads of people drive 4 Litre sedans with V8 engines and think its great! I couldn't afford to run one personally.

We bought a Toyota Camry - really boring as there are loads on the road. There are 2.2/2.6 Litre engines available. It's reliable, holds its price and goes like a dream. We bought the car at a government car auction in Adelaide. It was 2 years old and 30 000km on the clock. We saved about $5000 on the forecourt price of the local Toyota garage. The RAC guy at the place told us we couldn't go wrong with a Toyota, they rarely need fixing!

I have a Camry too, think mine is '95. Partner use to work for Toyota and had a landcruiser himself at the time, so we know they're reliable cars. Very easy to drive, mine has done a lot of km's, but then it was very cheap, so swings and roundabouts I guess
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:44 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Just as good/bad as the Holden (who some people mistakenly think is an "Aussie" make of car)
well come on ,you threw the "shit on the fan" enlighten us................ mm
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:16 am
Just Joined

tonyoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive got a Mitsubushi Magna TS wagon , had it since arriving back home in oz 3 years ago,its never let me down.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 11:25 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by mr mover
well come on ,you threw the "shit on the fan" enlighten us................ mm
Holden = General Motors = American

Driving a Holden because it's an Aussie make is like saying you drive a Vauxhall because it is British.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:42 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Holden = General Motors = American

Driving a Holden because it's an Aussie make is like saying you drive a Vauxhall because it is British.
GET your hand off it son , read the Holden history before you make "stupid "statments like that, mate you are starting to sound like the "new pommie bastard" is Perth starting to get to you,??? ...... mm
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

GET your hand off it son , read the Holden history before you make "stupid "statments like that, mate you are starting to sound like the "new pommie bastard" is Perth starting to get to you,??? ...... mm
My sister had a Holden Jackaroo and half the things in it were labelled 'Isuzu'. All the big motor companies cross produce/supply.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:04 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

He's a bit simple. Still, [why can't I just let these car arguments go?] commodores and falcons are poorly designed and developed vehicles with big engines, appropriately marketed to achieve part of the sales required to stay afloat.

I'm not trying to be derisory, it must be tough to design and build a car to such a small market - the simple truth is however that those manufacturers who (really) sell internationally have the economies of scale to spend more on the development of their vehicles and thus produce better ones in general.

Reading that back I ought to qualify what I consider better: the overall running cost compared to the level of performance desired. I personally drive a falcon due to budgetary pressure, however I'd much sooner have a(nother) forced aspiration mk2 MR2. A brilliantly designed vehicle with ferrari-esque pace when needed and corolla economy round town. Only two seats obviously, but I don't feel the need to reproduce just yet. It sadly lacks in handling dynamics compared to italian exotica but stock for stock (or modified for that matter) totally eclipses the best aussie v8.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4lex
He's a bit simple.
Who?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.