Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for car rental ?

Any recommendations for car rental ?

Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any recommendations for car rental ?

When we arrive in Brisbane we intend to hire a car ?

Would appreciate any recommendations?

Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any recommendations for car rental ?

Originally posted by footie chick

Thanks

Hi

We used http://www.rexellent.com.au/ very cheap and cheerful but otherwise are alright.

Jo
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

tanderra will become famous soon enough

we used avis - good prices, good service. If you book online you can get a better rate.

Watch out for the ones that advertise a really cheap rate they put a large hold on your credit card. AVIS puts no hold on your card.

They even upgraded us to a bigger car for nothing. Also make sure that you fill up the tank before you take the car back. At the airport it is double the price.

Enjoy Brisbane, we just got back.......
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:25 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

My O/H has been to Oz before and he said most people actually buy a car with the understanding that it will be bought back when you leave.

Not sure how this works but could be a good idea if you're going for a long visit.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:43 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Hired a car two weeks ago at Yulara Airport, NT from Thrifty. It was so dodgy I filmed all the marks and dents on it with my video camera before I drove it away. The engine sounded like a bag of spanners.

I commented on the condition of the vehicle to the lass in the airport and she said that's our reputation "Shifty Thrifty"!

We still made it to Uluru and Kata Tjuta though
Attached Thumbnails Any recommendations for car rental ?-ayersrock-daytime-rich.jpg  
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Alex used Budget when he came over, pick up and drop off at the airport; car was clean, got a Refidex (A-Z) to use while he was here. No problems at all. We also used Budget when we went to Tassy last year, he was under 25 then but they still gave us a cheap deal with no hidden extras (the car was flthy when we returned it, but no comment or extra charge!)

Footie - I've just realised, the day you land in Brissy is the day I finish work! Party weekend!!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:12 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

I used www.rentnewcars.com.au worked out really well picked up from Brissie airport too.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:15 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by footie chick

Thanks

AVIS get my vote, we have used several and they are by far the best.

No hidden extras etc.

Just watch the return though they will charge even if you are only half an hour over!

PJ
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I used Europcar excellent service. Lovely ford focus.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:29 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by helinuk
I used Europcar excellent service. Lovely ford focus.
I just rang around loads of car hire companies and Alamo were the best $480 for 2 weeks, Pick up from Perth Airport in Aug.

I got a discount as I am Airline staff but even there normal price was a lot cheaper than all the others.

It was also cheaper to book over the phone than on the net.

Cheers
Kala
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I generally use AVIS wherever I go.
You usually find most companies are around the same price.

You need to check just what insurance you REALLY need as this is where they make their profits.

G
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
I generally use AVIS wherever I go.
You usually find most companies are around the same price.

You need to check just what insurance you REALLY need as this is where they make their profits.

G
Another tip is to go for one a size bigger than you think you need as you will probably be spending a lot of time in it.

Have a good trip

G
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:51 pm
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
Another tip is to go for one a size bigger than you think you need as you will probably be spending a lot of time in it.

Have a good trip

G

Looks like nobody likes Hertz. I use them always in the US and will do so when I get to Sydney this October hopefully. www.hertz.com. Book online ..its much cheaper. Also, go for the express upgrade for free after you book it. (It will offer it to you) That way you don't stand in line with everyone else, there's a seperate line for you, shorter always than the general line. For me, I am a gold member and so the car is waiting for me in a "weather protected" area with my name flashing.

Get in, drive out. No more worries.

Keyur
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:58 pm
I CU HACKN

Here is a quote for a UK resident without any discounts. You can get it cheaper if you have any Auto clubs affiliated with Hertz. AAA in the US gets me anywhere from 10-35% discounts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
339.88 GBP
339.88 GBP (base amount) is guaranteed and will be charged to your credit card when you reserve. Any additional amount is paid at the counter and is calculated based on current daily exchange rates.
The total rate was calculated based on the following:
RATE (RQ) CODE HHS8
RATE IN POUND STERLING - GBP
GUARANTEED
BASE AMOUNT:
WEEKLY: 2 @ 169.94 GBP
UNLIMITED FREE KM
THE BASE AMOUNT INCLUDES AIRPORT CONCESSION FEE RECOVERY:, TAX, VEHICLE REGISTRATION RECOVERY:, STAMP DUTY:
(MI=Miles, KM=Kilometers)
Additional Charges (included in the 'Approximate Rental Charge') - PER RENTAL

The rate quoted is based on available information at time of reservation. Additional fees or surcharges may be applied at time of rental.

PER DAY
ACCIDENT EXCESS REDUCTION: 8.43 GBP
PROTECTION PACKAGE: 10.03 GBP

1 HOUR ADVANCE BOOKING REQUIRED
14 DAY MINIMUM RENTAL
99 DAY MAXIMUM RENTAL OR AS OTHERWISE ALLOWED BY LAW
AIRLINE TICKET REQUIRED: NO
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:10 pm
I CU HACKN

Forgot to mention, this was for a Toyota Camry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.