Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Quantity Surveyors out there?

Any Quantity Surveyors out there?

Old Sep 14th 2005, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

mollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant future
Default Any Quantity Surveyors out there?

I looked through the website, the AIQS in particular, for a salary survey for QSs in Australia, but I would like to hear from someone who has a good idea about what a Senior QS/Commercial Manager with 7 yrs experience & degree should earn in Australia. Is $100,000 a reasonable salary? Would that be enough for a family of 4 (housewife, 2 yr old and newborn - so no school worries yet) in Sydney or Melbourne?

We would like to rent a 3-bed house near the city centre - "nice" areas near the beach. We lived in Bondi for 3 months before and loved it, but what are the house rentals like there? Rose Bay and Double Bay were nice, but I think they were posh areas? Out of our league maybe?

Thanks for the input!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Quantity Surveyors out there?

I'm here Molly ...

QS man and boy ... well I'm 35 now.

Still in the UK (well the IOM actually) but have checked out prospective QS salaries.

Firstly, I'm told QS's are treated like s**t, looked down upon by Architects and Engineers ... they are termed Contract Administrators in OZ and are deemed no better than pen pushers.

I was offered a basic of $60K Aus for a job in Perth although I think I could hanker for $75k if needed.

You should definately be looking $100K plus in Sydney more likely $125K. Melbourne $100K would seem reasonable.

As in the UK ... CQS's are paid better than PQS's.

Hope this helps.

Three Legs

Originally Posted by mollymalone
I looked through the website, the AIQS in particular, for a salary survey for QSs in Australia, but I would like to hear from someone who has a good idea about what a Senior QS/Commercial Manager with 7 yrs experience & degree should earn in Australia. Is $100,000 a reasonable salary? Would that be enough for a family of 4 (housewife, 2 yr old and newborn - so no school worries yet) in Sydney or Melbourne?

We would like to rent a 3-bed house near the city centre - "nice" areas near the beach. We lived in Bondi for 3 months before and loved it, but what are the house rentals like there? Rose Bay and Double Bay were nice, but I think they were posh areas? Out of our league maybe?

Thanks for the input!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

mollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Quantity Surveyors out there?

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated!