Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any primary teachers?

Any primary teachers?

Old Jul 20th 2006, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Any primary teachers?

I wondered if there are any primary teachers in Australia? Am wondering how much time you spend out of school (on average) working? Are you doing a lot? Do the holidays make up for it?!?!?!
Thinking about a career change but don't want to jump from the frying pan to the fire with long hours !!
Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:13 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any primary teachers?

I would be interested to hear from primary school teachers in OZ.
I am a primary school teacher here in the UK and having been granted our PR visa we are hopeflly off to OZ in 8 weeks time.

I absolutely love my job and am feeling very sorry for myself as I have been away from school for the last two days with a very bad back - taking down displays!! I miss the children dreadfully, especially as I only have 3 days left with them before I leave.

In terms of teaching it is a hard job, I get into school for about 7.30 and often don't leave until gone 5. I never have much of a lunch break because I am also setting things up for the afternoon. The marking of work is horendous and one day of the weekend is always spent planning and preparing for the week ahead. Yes the holidays are long and compared to my husband I do get a lot of time off but lots of this is spent planning for the new term! I also find that I use up all my patience during the school day and when I get home I am not patient at all! However as already mentioned I absolutely love it and I wouldn't want to do anything else. The chidlren in my class are amazing and I am so proud of their achievements this year. It is very rewarding.

I have found the summer term is a lot easier in terms of planning but more draining due to QCA tests, end of term performances, camp, school trips and the dreaded reports! I teach at a very demanding school (not the children, the management!!!) and they expect a lot from us. Whereas the start of the term is draining due to planning. I also think I have found it hard this year as I am new to teaching so everything takes me longer and I am planning everything/making resources from scratch

Anyway getting back to the point, it is an amazing job but very draining and you do give a lot of yourself over. You rarely leave at 5 and just forget about the day.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Michelle
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Crikey !

Originally Posted by Vernons
I am a primary school teacher here in the UK and having been granted our PR visa we are hopeflly off to OZ in 8 weeks time.

I absolutely love my job and am feeling very sorry for myself as I have been away from school for the last two days with a very bad back - taking down displays!! I miss the children dreadfully, especially as I only have 3 days left with them before I leave.

In terms of teaching it is a hard job, I get into school for about 7.30 and often don't leave until gone 5. I never have much of a lunch break because I am also setting things up for the afternoon. The marking of work is horendous and one day of the weekend is always spent planning and preparing for the week ahead. Yes the holidays are long and compared to my husband I do get a lot of time off but lots of this is spent planning for the new term! I also find that I use up all my patience during the school day and when I get home I am not patient at all! However as already mentioned I absolutely love it and I wouldn't want to do anything else. The chidlren in my class are amazing and I am so proud of their achievements this year. It is very rewarding.

I have found the summer term is a lot easier in terms of planning but more draining due to QCA tests, end of term performances, camp, school trips and the dreaded reports! I teach at a very demanding school (not the children, the management!!!) and they expect a lot from us. Whereas the start of the term is draining due to planning. I also think I have found it hard this year as I am new to teaching so everything takes me longer and I am planning everything/making resources from scratch

Anyway getting back to the point, it is an amazing job but very draining and you do give a lot of yourself over. You rarely leave at 5 and just forget about the day.

Michelle
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:28 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any primary teachers?

Michelle
Hey Michelle - are you sure your not my wife in disguise.
I reckon It has to be her - she's going through exactly the same.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Another one-this is putting me right off !

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Hey Michelle - are you sure your not my wife in disguise.
I reckon It has to be her - she's going through exactly the same.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

My bestie is an aussie primary teacher here, she has almost 20 years experience (and I am doing my BEd at uni at the mo...)...she spends hardly any time at all doing out of school hours work during the week - she has two kids and makes a conscious decision not to...but... she does go to work (school) on Saturdays to mark and prepare and plan.

During 'report' time, I avoid her like the plague 'cos shes always stressed.

Generally, she does well, managing kids, home life and school work but she is really experienced and I think that makes the difference.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:34 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, experience reduces the number of hours you work. I am one of 5 NQT's (newly qualified teachers) at my school and we are in before the other staff and leave after they have gone home. I am sure they worked as hard as we do when they were new to the profession as well!

I still think it is a job you have to work hard at but after a few years I am hoping I will be full of ideas, have loads of resources and can re-use my planning, especially if I have the same year group!

I hope I haven't put you off, it is an amazing job and I absolutely love it but you do have to put the hours in. Have found if you work on the evenings you can have the weekend off and if you work on the weekend then you get your evenings.

Go for it, it is brilliant!!
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, experience reduces the number of hours you work. I am one of 5 NQT's (newly qualified teachers) at my school and we are in before the other staff and leave after they have gone home. I am sure they worked as hard as we do when they were new to the profession as well!

I still think it is a job you have to work hard at but after a few years I am hoping I will be full of ideas, have loads of resources and can re-use my planning, especially if I have the same year group!

I hope I haven't put you off, it is an amazing job and I absolutely love it but you do have to put the hours in. Have found if you work on the evenings you can have the weekend off and if you work on the weekend then you get your evenings.

Go for it, it is brilliant!!
That is great and so encouraging for a uni student to hear (albeit I am a "mature student"!!!). Put in the hard yards and you'll get the rewards later on...it's like any job - experience is everything....