Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:36 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Sounds like the system is somewhat flawed. How long do you have to be in Cairns? (Is it specifically Cairns or just regional QLD?) Anyway it isn’t for ever.

I know you probably are well aware, but I will say it anyway; the capital cities like Sydney don’t need any more migrants – in fact they are too big as it is. That is why they are “encouraging” new migrants to move to rural areas.

Think of it like the great push west in the history of the USA. The government doesn’t care if you get skewered with arrows or the wheel falls off your wagon. That’s your problem, they just gave you an opportunity.

The logic has been a part of Australian culture for hundreds of years. People were given grants of land in the middle of nowhere. The government didn’t really worry if they succeeded or not, if they failed they just gave the land to someone else. They expect it to be hard, that’s why they gave away the opportunity.

I know this isn’t helping right now, but it might give you a different perspective.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:51 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Do some research on the hidden job market in Australia (Estimates suggest over 50% of jobs are not advertised). You can beat the rush if you do some research. Find the companies who may have suitable work for you and send a cold call cover letter and copy of your resume. Its how I got my first job in Oz.

Also research networking. It is another valuable job hunting technique that not enough people do it or leave it until they need a job.
Will try that. It worked for me once - in fact it's how I got my first IT job.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:59 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Will try that. It worked for me once - in fact it's how I got my first IT job.
I once got made redundant. As I walked out of the door I rang someone who I had done some work for at the company I was with and told him I was on the market and if he heard anything then to give me a call. A month later I was working for him at a new company that he set up.

Another key lesson I learned was, never burn any bridges. A year later that company went into liquidation. I spoke to someone that I used to work with and he said that they still hadn't finished the projects that were on the go when I left and did I want to come back on a contract.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:29 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Sounds like the system is somewhat flawed. How long do you have to be in Cairns? (Is it specifically Cairns or just regional QLD?) Anyway it isn’t for ever.

I know you probably are well aware, but I will say it anyway; the capital cities like Sydney don’t need any more migrants – in fact they are too big as it is. That is why they are “encouraging” new migrants to move to rural areas.

Think of it like the great push west in the history of the USA. The government doesn’t care if you get skewered with arrows or the wheel falls off your wagon. That’s your problem, they just gave you an opportunity.

The logic has been a part of Australian culture for hundreds of years. People were given grants of land in the middle of nowhere. The government didn’t really worry if they succeeded or not, if they failed they just gave the land to someone else. They expect it to be hard, that’s why they gave away the opportunity.

I know this isn’t helping right now, but it might give you a different perspective.
I think this is meant for me? We have to be in regional Queensland for another year. We intend to leave Cairns in August when our marina fees end (we have a sailing yacht we live on) and try other places. However, we are literally just rocking up, having to fly back to collect the car etc, in the hope there are jobs! I realise there is unlikely to be anything available fitting my CV but I am applying for everything possible - with a heavily dumbed down resume. In Cairns my partner has had some success getting marketing/sales positions but they don't work out - targets can't be met as the town is so depressed and the position becomes untenable. I had a decent job for a month but it was in the most dysfunctional organisation I've ever seen with a bullying boss. I think poor organisations, bullying and so on must be symptomatic of high unemployment towns.

At the moment I'm in the dilemma of just cutting our losses and sailing to Fiji or gritting our teeth, sail down the coast and try for jobs in Townsville, Bowen, Mackay etc etc until we can get this 12 months work done for Immi.

To be honest at the moment I feel like it was such as mistake going for a 475 regionally sponsored visa. Queensland has snapped up 50,000 quid of my money and I've had nothing back but disappointment (although some nice sailing, snorkeling and diving). My self esteem is getting damaged due through the endless job rejections and even worse, sending out CVs in to the ether and never hearing anything. In London I earned 150,000 quid a year and over here I am reduced to scratching around for reduced vegetables in Woolworths so I don't spend my life savings on day to day living.....

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Apr 14th 2011 at 12:32 am.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
To be honest at the moment I feel like it was such as mistake going for a 475 regionally sponsored visa.
Then why did you? Why did you not apply for normal PR like the rest of us? You sound like you are skilled enough.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:45 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Then why did you? Why did you not apply for normal PR like the rest of us? You sound like you are skilled enough.
I was on a 457 visa working in Sydney. After a month they decided to close down the Australian trading desk and move to Singapore. I didn't want to go so applied for a 475 visa - the migration agent came up with the state sponsorship to get the points up.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was on a 457 visa working in Sydney. After a month they decided to close down the Australian trading desk and move to Singapore. I didn't want to go so applied for a 475 visa - the migration agent came up with the state sponsorship to get the points up.
Fair enough, we all make mistakes.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:57 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you Turban, and I would be lying if I didn’t tell you that in my past I have felt the despair you are feeling right now.

I hate regional Australia with a vengeance, even though it can be beautiful. For the first 8 years of my time in Australia I spent most of my time living in cheap motels in places like Gladstone and Townsville, Mount Isa, Kalgoorlie and Roxby Downs.

The joys of working on mining contracts. The loneliness of a one horse town full of miners.

But you know, it the half full half empty glass, and the glass is only half empty for a while. I look back on those times now with good memories, even though they were not so good at the time.

Like you I went off and completed an MBA. That didn’t seem like much fun at the time either, but I look back on it fondly. I am studying again, and I hate every second of it. No doubt when it is over I will smile inwardly.

I would love to live on a boat, and sail to Fiji, and the snorkelling and diving is great where you are. Enjoy the moments, drink the memories, feel the experience. Soon it will be gone.

I think this is meant for me? We have to be in regional Queensland for another year. We intend to leave Cairns in August when our marina fees end (we have a sailing yacht we live on) and try other places. However, we are literally just rocking up, having to fly back to collect the car etc, in the hope there are jobs! I realise there is unlikely to be anything available fitting my CV but I am applying for everything possible - with a heavily dumbed down resume. In Cairns my partner has had some success getting marketing/sales positions but they don't work out - targets can't be met as the town is so depressed and the position becomes untenable. I had a decent job for a month but it was in the most dysfunctional organisation I've ever seen with a bullying boss. I think poor organisations, bullying and so on must be symptomatic of high unemployment towns.

At the moment I'm in the dilemma of just cutting our losses and sailing to Fiji or gritting our teeth, sail down the coast and try for jobs in Townsville, Bowen, Mackay etc etc until we can get this 12 months work done for Immi.

To be honest at the moment I feel like it was such as mistake going for a 475 regionally sponsored visa. Queensland has snapped up 50,000 quid of my money and I've had nothing back but disappointment (although some nice sailing, snorkeling and diving). My self esteem is getting damaged due through the endless job rejections and even worse, sending out CVs in to the ether and never hearing anything. In London I earned 150,000 quid a year and over here I am reduced to scratching around for reduced vegetables in Woolworths so I don't spend my life savings on day to day living.....
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:05 am

I feel for you Turban, and I would be lying if I didn’t tell you that in my past I have felt the despair you are feeling right now.

I hate regional Australia with a vengeance, even though it can be beautiful. For the first 8 years of my time in Australia I spent most of my time living in cheap motels in places like Gladstone and Townsville, Mount Isa, Kalgoorlie and Roxby Downs.

The joys of working on mining contracts. The loneliness of a one horse town full of miners.

But you know, it the half full half empty glass, and the glass is only half empty for a while. I look back on those times now with good memories, even though they were not so good at the time.

Like you I went off and completed an MBA. That didn’t seem like much fun at the time either, but I look back on it fondly. I am studying again, and I hate every second of it. No doubt when it is over I will smile inwardly.

I would love to live on a boat, and sail to Fiji, and the snorkelling and diving is great where you are. Enjoy the moments, drink the memories, feel the experience. Soon it will be gone.
What are you studying now? I know what you mean about being confined to regional Australia and I've seen plenty of blokes looking gloomy in grotty motels (not professionally, I hasten to add!) - I visited a friend in Sydney a couple of months ago and felt soooo jealous! Oh hindsight....!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:18 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Think of it like the great push west in the history of the USA. The government doesn’t care if you get skewered with arrows or the wheel falls off your wagon. That’s your problem, they just gave you an opportunity.The logic has been a part of Australian culture for hundreds of years. People were given grants of land in the middle of nowhere. The government didn’t really worry if they succeeded or not, if they failed they just gave the land to someone else. They expect it to be hard, that’s why they gave away the opportunity.

I read somewhere that even in those days around 50% returned to their countries of origin.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:26 am
Not allowed opinions.

Turban,

Reading back through your posts:
• You live on a yacht, you sail and snorkel.
• You have an MBA, you earned 150,000 quid a year in London,
• You came to Sydney and worked on a dealing desk, then got the chance to go to Singapore.
• You were a university lecturer
• You retired from the UK and get i get 45k per year pension.
• You are a teacher, and have a long career broking and financial journalism.
• You lived on Magnetic Island for a year.

Want to swap?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:30 am

Turban,

Reading back through your posts:
• You live on a yacht, you sail and snorkel.
• You have an MBA, you earned 150,000 quid a year in London,
• You came to Sydney and worked on a dealing desk, then got the chance to go to Singapore.
• You were a university lecturer
• You retired from the UK and get i get 45k per year pension.
• You are a teacher, and have a long career broking and financial journalism.
• You lived on Magnetic Island for a year.

Want to swap?
If you have any AUD coming in then yes.... The problem is I am 37 so I need to conserve the cash I have for quite a lot longer (if the booze doesn't catch up with me sooner!). My retirement model worked until Immi sent me back to join the horny hands of toil and the pound went to shit.... If you are ever up in FNQ you are welcome to come out for a quick spin in the yacht.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Apr 14th 2011 at 1:32 am.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:35 am
Not allowed opinions.

What are you studying now? I know what you mean about being confined to regional Australia and I've seen plenty of blokes looking gloomy in grotty motels (not professionally, I hasten to add!) - I visited a friend in Sydney a couple of months ago and felt soooo jealous! Oh hindsight....!
I discovered that you could actually study at Oxford Uni via distance education, so I’m doing an Advanced Diploma in Data and System Analysis. Strange to think that I don’t ever have to walk through the place.

Dont worry about meeting gloomy blokes in grotty hotel rooms. yuor secret is safe on BE

Next time you are in Sydney give me a shout and lets grab a coffee.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:37 am
Not allowed opinions.

The problem is I am 37 .
Now you are just rubbing it in.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:44 am

Now you are just rubbing it in.
It's a difficult age. Stuck between 'carpe dieum-ing' it now and oooh shit... will I be able to afford those incontinence pants when I'm 75.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.