Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:51 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Originally Posted by HUP

No sorry. The stream services does not delve into the persons visa status.
Just wondered. I feel like a bloody cash cow. Everyone I know except us got thousands of bucks for the cyclone. We can't leave the state to get work but are not entitled to anything. Just trying to sort out our mess as cheaply as possible and get PR so the whole experience hasn't been a pointless expense. Sorry I'm so moany today - my self esteem has been shattered after another shop job rejection.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Apr 13th 2011 at 5:05 am.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:53 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

The link below is quite useful to look at labour market information around Australia. Drill down to the area that is most relevant to you. Also check out the links to top occupations in the area and the country

http://www.myfuture.edu.au/The%20Fac...formation.aspx
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:04 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
There are no career opportunities in Cairns and never have been. Why not Darwin where these opportunities exist?

I don't understand whyanyone would migrate there unless you were a loser. Any young person who completes their degree at James Cook will leave Cairns permanently.
Darwin isn't in Queensland!!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:18 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Darwin isn't in Queensland!!
Its close (In the grand scheme of things), whats wrong with a 2849km (give or take) commute
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:37 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
But if they haven't registered it sort of implies that their unemployment status is transitory until they gain their next position and through their own planning they do not need to seek government assistance. How would it be possible to capture that information.
Not at all. If you go to centrelink they ask before they do all the form filling if you have a partner on over $500 per week and if you have, they advise not worth filling in the form as you don't get anything. Therefore you are in essence not registered as unemployed.

Originally Posted by HUP
The Hidden Job Market in Australia is massive and tapping into it is one of the most effective ways of finding work. I got my first job in Australia by sending out cold call emails promoting my skills.

One of the things that I consistently encounter (With both skilled and unskilled clients) is that people do not really understand the fact that when they are applying for a job they are trying to sell themselves. The process of gaining a job is a marketing exercise.
Agreed. And there's a way in which to do it with the application letter and resume. However if there is no job (as per the above examples) or the role is given to an insider anyway (happens a lot for Government jobs) then no matter how great the letter or resume, you aint gonna get the job.

Do you have any hints and tips re applications you could share mate
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:57 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Do you have any hints and tips re applications you could share mate
The main tips I give people are;

1) Make sure your resume and cover letters give the employer the information they need as concisely as possible.
2) When you apply for jobs online ensure that you have optimised your resume. What I mean by this is that very often there will be software sitting somewhere behind the process that will be scanning the resumes for keywords and phrases. These are generally in the job ad (The skills etc that they are looking for) If you have those skills make sure they appear in their resume and to be sure of getting a good hit rate use the same terminology as they use (There will be variations but best to be safe.)
3) Presentation is critical. If you have sloppy presentation, non uniform formatting etc this will be giving the employer an impression of of the type of work you will do.
4) Always get someone else to check your letters unless you are very confident about reading your own work objectively.

If you want me to check over your applications just send me a PM and I'll give you my objective opinion.

Last edited by HUP; Apr 13th 2011 at 7:02 am.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:05 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP

1) Make sure your resume and cover letters give the employer the information they need as concisely as possible.
2) When you apply for jobs online ensure that you have optimised your resume. What I mean by this is that very often there will be software sitting somewhere behind the process that will be scanning the resumes for keywords and phrases. These are generally in the job ad (The skills etc that they are looking for) If you have those skills make sure they appear in their resume and to be sure of getting a good hit rate use the same terminology as they use (There will be variations but best to be safe.)
3) Presentation is critical. If you have sloppy presentation, non uniform formatting etc this will be giving the employer an impression of of the type of work you will do.
4) Always get someone else to check your letters unless you are very confident about reading your own work objectively.

If you want me to check over your applications just send me a PM and I'll give you my objective opinion.
Thanks HUP you are a star mate
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HUP

5) Forget about the application, chances are you'll not get a reply anyway!

If you do, then still forget about it. An interview, still forget, and ONLY think about it when you've GOT the job.

Then sit back and wonder what it was you applied for as you've done 150 applications in the last month (3 replies).
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

If you do, then still forget about it. An interview, still forget, and ONLY think about it when you've GOT the job.

Then sit back and wonder what it was you applied for as you've done 150 applications in the last month (3 replies).
So true. Applying for jobs in this country can be very soul destroying - esp for government jobs.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
So true. Applying for jobs in this country can be very soul destroying - esp for government jobs.
I spoke for Nic there. I've been relatively lucky, but have seen it all with her on Seek for night upon end. Applying for job after job, Gov jobs ... anything to get a foot in the door, but alas ... the replies trickle thru, often thanks but no thanks.

She's thankfully got a decent enough job now, but wants to get back into tertiary education, where she's more settled.

Both happy/lucky to have jobs anyway ...
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice

The job market in OZ is small and the competition is very fierce. For every position you have many applicants. That's my opinion.

I think the real unemployment rate is far higher than the government's estimate.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:52 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

(3 replies).
The problem is there is so much competition so you have to understand how to market yourself effectively. When you are applying for a job you have to make sure you stand out from the crowd.

When your applying ensure your resume says you want the job that your applying for, and is not the resume that you send out for every single job.

If you have a broad range of skills/trades then try and make a couple of different resumes so that the employer is not confused about what type of job you are after.

One of the things I get people to do is put the following structure in place at the start of the resume (This is NOT suitable for every type of resume)

Personal Details

Name, Numbers, Email etc

Career Objective

A short compelling statement about the type of work you are after

Relevant skills
A bullet point list of skills that are relevant to the job that you are applying for

The reasoning behind this is that you can change the entire focus of your resume very quickly with little effort. You amend the career objective so that it very clearly implies that you want the job that you are applying for. You amend the skills so that they are relevant to the job (Ensure you have the skills in the job ad) that you are applying for. So when the person viewing your resume reads it they see

1) You want the job that you are applying for
2) You have the skills that they are looking for.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gere
The job market in OZ is small and the competition is very fierce. For every position you have many applicants. That's my opinion.

I think the real unemployment rate is far higher than the government's estimate.
And a lot of the "vacancies" are not real ones/will be filled internally
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HUP
The problem is there is so much competition so you have to understand how to market yourself effectively. When you are applying for a job you have to make sure you stand out from the crowd.

When your applying ensure your resume says you want the job that your applying for, and is not the resume that you send out for every single job.

If you have a broad range of skills/trades then try and make a couple of different resumes so that the employer is not confused about what type of job you are after.

One of the things I get people to do is put the following structure in place at the start of the resume (This is NOT suitable for every type of resume)

Personal Details

Name, Numbers, Email etc

Career Objective

A short compelling statement about the type of work you are after

Relevant skills
A bullet point list of skills that are relevant to the job that you are applying for

The reasoning behind this is that you can change the entire focus of your resume very quickly with little effort. You amend the career objective so that it very clearly implies that you want the job that you are applying for. You amend the skills so that they are relevant to the job (Ensure you have the skills in the job ad) that you are applying for. So when the person viewing your resume reads it they see

1) You want the job that you are applying for
2) You have the skills that they are looking for.
Good advice
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:22 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally Posted by paulry
And a lot of the "vacancies" are not real ones/will be filled internally
Do some research on the hidden job market in Australia (Estimates suggest over 50% of jobs are not advertised). You can beat the rush if you do some research. Find the companies who may have suitable work for you and send a cold call cover letter and copy of your resume.

Its how I got my first job in Oz.

Also research networking. It is another valuable job hunting technique that not enough people do it or leave it until they need a job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.