Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any(positive)advice on getting a management/admin/clerical job in Perth, please ?

Any(positive)advice on getting a management/admin/clerical job in Perth, please ?

Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Chris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really nice
Default Any(positive)advice on getting a management/admin/clerical job in Perth, please ?

Hello everyone.

I am newly-arrived in Perth and am in need of a 457 visa, so need an employer to sponsor me. Unfortunately, my 'skills' don't appear to be in great demand here - I was a customer service/complaints/investigations manager for a large company in the UK, but the employment agencies I've spoken to in Perth ( about 10 so far ) are not confident of finding me a job, nor do they seem very inclined to help me.

I have only had one interview so far and am really in need of some good, positive advice ( please don't say "Try Sydney or Melbourne" as one agent did !! ) to help me get a job.

If anyone works for or knows of an organisation that may be interested in an experienced manager who is prepared to take on almost any role to get a foot on the ladder ( doesn't have to be management ), I would be very grateful.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:47 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any(positive)advice on getting a management/admin/clerical job in Perth, please ?

Originally Posted by Chris P Duck
Hello everyone.

I am newly-arrived in Perth and am in need of a 457 visa, so need an employer to sponsor me. Unfortunately, my 'skills' don't appear to be in great demand here - I was a customer service/complaints/investigations manager for a large company in the UK, but the employment agencies I've spoken to in Perth ( about 10 so far ) are not confident of finding me a job, nor do they seem very inclined to help me.

I have only had one interview so far and am really in need of some good, positive advice ( please don't say "Try Sydney or Melbourne" as one agent did !! ) to help me get a job.

If anyone works for or knows of an organisation that may be interested in an experienced manager who is prepared to take on almost any role to get a foot on the ladder ( doesn't have to be management ), I would be very grateful.

Kelly Services in Perth CBD are very good - got to be worth a try. I don't have their number to hand but should be easy to google to find it.

What visa are you on at the moment?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Chris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really niceChris P Duck is just really nice
Default Re: Any(positive)advice on getting a management/admin/clerical job in Perth, please ?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Kelly Services in Perth CBD are very good - got to be worth a try. I don't have their number to hand but should be easy to google to find it.

Thanks. I'll try them tomorrow.

Student visa. We wanted to get over here so our daughter could attend school. Didn't have enough points for the normal skilled visa, hence the need for a 457.

Have you used Kelly ? You on a 457 too ?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Or do you know any companies/organisations who sponsor on a 457 ?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:59 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Or do you know any companies/organisations who sponsor on a 457 ?
Try the health sites. Google Western Australia Health and that should give you the official site. Then search for manager or admin jobs - and apply. Don't be put off if you dont have health experience. PM me if you want more info.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Try the health sites. Google Western Australia Health and that should give you the official site. Then search for manager or admin jobs - and apply. Don't be put off if you dont have health experience. PM me if you want more info.
Thank you.

I'll give it a go.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

proactivedestiny is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you interested in self employment. I know of a company that is looking for people in perth?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by proactivedestiny
Are you interested in self employment. I know of a company that is looking for people in perth?

I'm pretty sure I can't go self-employed at this stage as DIAC said I have to go from student visa to 457 visa, then to ENS visa if I wish.

Worth me looking into, though.

I'll send you a PM.

Thank you.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:02 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

The difficulty you are going to have is that there are lots of locals that can do the kind of jobs you are looking at.

What are you studying and why do you no long want to study?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by northernbird
The difficulty you are going to have is that there are lots of locals that can do the kind of jobs you are looking at.

What are you studying and why do you no long want to study?

Hi,

Yes, the employment agencies have made that perfectly clear, dammit !

Environmental Science Management. I'm 99% sure I'd easily get a job in December with just the interim qualification, BUT, the house in the UK hasn't sold and the money is dwindling.

I'm going to keep on trying to get a job in the meantime and hope the house sells. Pity the house market is on its arse in the UK right now. <sigh>
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Anyone else ? Please.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Scotland to Saudi to Scotland to Netherlands to Scotland to Oz!
Fima_Cege will become famous soon enoughFima_Cege will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I am not sure that this is what you want to hear but.....

If you can't get a job with the skills you've got then you need to do 1 of 2 things:
1: relocate (not an option as you say)
2: retrain

Option 2

Sounds like you have at least some business process skills so why not put that on paper?

What I mean to say is why not do a little bit of cross-training to open the door to the biggest employers? By that I mean the IT world!

Your can fairly easily build upon your existing skill set by completing an ITIL course.

There are almost as many non-technical jobs in IT as there are technical. ITIL is largely non-technical as it is process and reporting based.

ITIL is a very broad set of prinicples and best practices to control IT services within companies.

All and I do mean ALL serious companies employ ITIL.

If you are hungry for it - and it sounds like you are - then getting certified is fairly straight forward. And should take you nolonger than a few weeks at most. Then get yourself down to the IT agencies and offer to work for bottom dollar (never that bad in IT) until you get experience.

Or go home....or relocate.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fima_Cege
Hi,

I am not sure that this is what you want to hear but.....

If you can't get a job with the skills you've got then you need to do 1 of 2 things:
1: relocate (not an option as you say)
2: retrain

Option 2

Sounds like you have at least some business process skills so why not put that on paper?

What I mean to say is why not do a little bit of cross-training to open the door to the biggest employers? By that I mean the IT world!

Your can fairly easily build upon your existing skill set by completing an ITIL course.

There are almost as many non-technical jobs in IT as there are technical. ITIL is largely non-technical as it is process and reporting based.

ITIL is a very broad set of prinicples and best practices to control IT services within companies.

All and I do mean ALL serious companies employ ITIL.

If you are hungry for it - and it sounds like you are - then getting certified is fairly straight forward. And should take you nolonger than a few weeks at most. Then get yourself down to the IT agencies and offer to work for bottom dollar (never that bad in IT) until you get experience.

Or go home....or relocate.

Thanks for that. I'll do some leg-work and see if I can fit in a short course to get the accreditation. That may be a good option for me - just as long as it doesn't get too technical !
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Scotland to Saudi to Scotland to Netherlands to Scotland to Oz!
Fima_Cege will become famous soon enoughFima_Cege will become famous soon enough

Hi Chris - just a little bit more info:

ITIL is not technical - you are not expected to know how to fix computers at all.

If memory serves me correctly, ITIL foundation certification is the one to go for - its not that much of a time investment.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Some links to help you out:
http://www.itil-officialsite.com/faq.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITIL
http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...=ITIL&MLS=true
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fima_Cege
Hi Chris - just a little bit more info:

ITIL is not technical - you are not expected to know how to fix computers at all.

If memory serves me correctly, ITIL foundation certification is the one to go for - its not that much of a time investment.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Some links to help you out:
http://www.itil-officialsite.com/faq.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITIL
http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...=ITIL&MLS=true

THANK YOU !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.