Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

Old Aug 16th 2014, 3:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There are places like Silicon Valley where the weather is very nice all year around with doses of sun - and good employment perhaps. Still cold at night in winter - if you want to be warm at night you are almost obliged to go to the tropics.

I don't think anyone likes hot weather not even a local. I think in the main, Australia is a good place if you like the outdoors - it is still very much an outdoor lifestyle. It's not too bad.

I wouldn't consider California at all. No desire to live in the USA in the slightest, and the weather has nothing to do with that decision!
Old Aug 16th 2014, 10:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's the windscreen - careful you don't crack it....People sometimes forget that when they are cold they forget what it felt like to be warm - and when they are too hot they would love to be cold - or cool. People talk about how it is easier to warm up etc but when people are cold and am feeling it - it's hard.

I am looking forward to Spring now but in the main I look forwards to Daylight Saving. I would take Melbourne's climate with a few days of 40 a year over the UK given the choice. People forget there are months in Melbourne where the weather is not particularly hot or cold - try Oct-Dec, Mar-May (etc). There are probably few places in the world where the weather is just right. I've heard people say LA is great for that but then you have to live in LA and deal with the pollution..
It's that horses for courses thing again. I love Perth's weather in winter, and in late autumn and the first couple of months of spring. It's the November - March weather that does me in these days - days and days over 35 degrees, it just doesn't suit the things that Scouse and I like to do now. In contrast, I spent my teenage years on the beach and have great memories of that.

Of course, the weather is only one consideration when we're talking about what we like/dislike about a country. There's actually nothing that I vehemently dislike about Australia, and much that I love (and will miss, especially family). It's just that, for Scouse and I, our foreseeable future is in the UK and as I make a point of always finding the best in wherever I happen to be - I know it's going to be a hoot
Old Aug 16th 2014, 11:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW we are making tentative steps to go back to the UK. Both places have good and bad points, but as retirees we came for the space and the weather; now that we find there's not much else we might go back to die at "home".

If we do, we won't regret having had ten years here, anyway. But then again, it may never happen!
Old Aug 16th 2014, 11:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
FWIW we are making tentative steps to go back to the UK. Both places have good and bad points, but as retirees we came for the space and the weather; now that we find there's not much else we might go back to die at "home".

If we do, we won't regret having had ten years here, anyway. But then again, it may never happen!
Gawd Wol, don't go home to die, go home to live! You can die after that

Every single person who has or hasn't posted on here is different. There's Wol and spouse, coming to Australia to retire, and may be going back again, and here's Scouse and I, going to the UK to retire. I know he'll never come back to Australia to live, too much of his heart is in Liverpool. But if he pops off before me, I think I'll come home. To family and 'my' country, but mainly because I don't think I could bear to be there without him.

What a silly old chook I am, I read that back after I'd posted it and got all teary. I suppose that's what happens when you find the love of your life at 50 - you don't want inconveniences like old age and death separating you until you've had at least another 50 years together. Oh well, what's that old saying? - it's not the years in your life, but the life in your years.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 16th 2014 at 12:00 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Gawd Wol, don't go home to die, go home to live! You can die after that

Every single person who has or hasn't posted on here is different. There's Wol and spouse, coming to Australia to retire, and may be going back again, and here's Scouse and I, going to the UK to retire. I know he'll never come back to Australia to live, too much of his heart is in Liverpool. But if he pops off before me, I think I'll come home. To family and 'my' country, but mainly because I don't think I could bear to be there without him.

What a silly old chook I am, I read that back after I'd posted it and got all teary. I suppose that's what happens when you find the love of your life at 50 - you don't want inconveniences like old age and death separating you until you've had at least another 50 years together. Oh well, what's that old saying? - it's not the years in your life, but the life in your years.
I haven't even begun to think about life without my Partner..... Hopefully I'll never have to.

Plus I only ever tend to look forwards to the future with optimism and am happy to live in the present and rarely look back.

We are both really looking forwards to sharing selfish time with each other again, like we did when we were younger, no responsibilties, or as little as possible, freedom, and being able to go anywhere and anyplace. If that happens to be then UK so be it. I think the location will be of secondary importance to us.

Hope it goes well for you, spouse of scouse.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I haven't even begun to think about life without my Partner..... Hopefully I'll never have to.

Plus I only ever tend to look forwards to the future with optimism and am happy to live in the present and rarely look back.

We are both really looking forwards to sharing selfish time with each other again, like we did when we were younger, no responsibilties, or as little as possible, freedom, and being able to go anywhere and anyplace. If that happens to be then UK so be it. I think the location will be of secondary importance to us.

Hope it goes well for you, spouse of scouse.
Thanks Ozzie! Quite out of character for me, that little - whatever it was. I blame Scouse for being a fair bit older than me, most inconsiderate of him

Fully agree about the 'selfish time' - lots of fun ahead for Scouse and I, and you and your partner! Travelling's our thing, and with so many places easily accessible from the UK - woohoo

Wishing you and your partner all the best too
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Wow Wol, I'd never have picked that! If you do move on to UK you may well find, like us, that you get an amazing new lease of life in retirement! Our lives have developed into an amazing experience - busy, buzzy, rich and interesting. Whatever though, enjoy!
Old Aug 16th 2014, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

nic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to all

Funny thing, grass greener etc. We're working on the reverse. Done all the Europe thing, Florida etc and now looking at retirement soon and already checking out buying a caravan and intend three months visiting/travelling then three months back. Just had another "summer day" of rain and wind and trying to dry off golf gear for hubby tomorrow. Would welcome some recommendation of places north/ south of brisbane.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:07 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

Lived in Sydney for 9 years, but been back to England 6 times for a holiday. Also going again in December and January.

I'm over the long, too-hot summers as well. I've got two little girls, and I sometimes chuckle to myself when I think that it's basically too hot to do anything with them outside between about 11am to 5pm for most of the summer, whereas at home I might have been whinging about the rain or the cold wind. So in the end, unless we've gone to the beach for the day, the extreme heat is a hassle, as you have to apply the SPF 30 all the time and the kids just flake in the heat.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 6:38 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I wouldn't consider California at all. No desire to live in the USA in the slightest, and the weather has nothing to do with that decision!
Yup, certainly don't move here just for the weather. Although CA does has it's positives, like everywhere.

(10 year countdown)
Old Aug 17th 2014, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
Lived in Sydney for 9 years, but been back to England 6 times for a holiday. Also going again in December and January.

I'm over the long, too-hot summers as well. I've got two little girls, and I sometimes chuckle to myself when I think that it's basically too hot to do anything with them outside between about 11am to 5pm for most of the summer, whereas at home I might have been whinging about the rain or the cold wind. So in the end, unless we've gone to the beach for the day, the extreme heat is a hassle, as you have to apply the SPF 30 all the time and the kids just flake in the heat.
I see you are in Nth Western Sydney. I'm in the eastern suburbs. I know there can be quite a temperature difference between the west and the east, but I wouldn't describe a sydney summer as hot. Long maybe.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

What I am saying is I love Ireland but the weather means I could never live there...I went there for two weeks in summer and was grey and drizzly every day. Countries can't help their weather it is just a geographical accident. My kids were inside kids in the UK...they would go outside of course, one of my boys loved football the other rugby but when we moved to Australia they got into all sports, one joined surf lifesaving the other a tennis club and saling club plus keeping up with their original sports...Perth weather is awesome, it is winter this weekend and you can be doing out all weekend. To deny the awesome weather is just silly.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

It is only 40 plus five or so days a year and the nights are then beautiful! There are months and months of great weather in Perth:-) anyway I am over and out tired of the same, boring conversation about a few 40 plus days of weather means Perth doesn't have a great outdoor lifestyle.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe the weather stops kids doing anything anywhere. Remember Australia is a large place and the weather you get in Perth is a vast difference you in Hobart. What weather does give kids is opportunity. For example, the long British winters presents less opportinuty for children than a child living close to a mountain an hour flight away in Switzerland where the winters are long but often sunny and surrounded by mountains that thrive off cold.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
What I am saying is I love Ireland but the weather means I could never live there...I went there for two weeks in summer and was grey and drizzly every day. Countries can't help their weather it is just a geographical accident. My kids were inside kids in the UK...they would go outside of course, one of my boys loved football the other rugby but when we moved to Australia they got into all sports, one joined surf lifesaving the other a tennis club and saling club plus keeping up with their original sports...Perth weather is awesome, it is winter this weekend and you can be doing out all weekend. To deny the awesome weather is just silly.
My partner also thought the same about Ireland, because you always hear the negative and yes you can be unlucky and every year is different, but that just happens in Northern Europe. My uncle from Ireland visited France for two weeks and said he'd never seen that much rain. We had friends visit us recently from the US and they were upset that the sun was shining every day. I don't mind the heat, but I'd rather work in this climate and if I want sun I can be in Spain in around two hours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.