Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any point in hassling those customs ba***rds

any point in hassling those customs ba***rds

Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:04 am
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future
Default any point in hassling those customs ba***rds

Hi there -
my stuff is stuck in customs
I've got a relocation company sorting out my move and they keep saying that there is nothing that they can do, immigration are short staffed and there is a backlog at the docks. What are other people's experiences of this - how long did you have to wait for your stuff to clear customs? Would there be any merit in hassling the immigration people or is this a big no no?

Going mad sleeping on the floor!!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:09 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any point in hassling those customs ba***rds

Your immigration company should have a booked time slot with the customs/ Quarantine people for an inspection - ask them when it is - and what the process is .

Im not 100% sure that 'customs' provide booking times but I know for a fact that Aqis have to be booked and AQIS will have a lead-time too!.

PIn them down on facts, not just ' theres a backlog ' , ask them how they go about booking your stuff for Customs inspection, and AQIS, (its not just all piled up on the dock and the guy walks along the line as far as he can each day... ).

Customs/Aqis wont talk to you I doubt - but beat the crap out of your shippers thats what you paid them for.

Good luck.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:40 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Juanita
Hi there -
I've got a relocation company sorting out my move and they keep saying that there is nothing that they can do, immigration are short staffed and there is a backlog at the docks. What are other people's experiences of this - how long did you have to wait for your stuff to clear customs? Would there be any merit in hassling the immigration people or is this a big no no?

We got lucky - freight took 27 days to get to Oz and a further eight days to clear customs. Our freight is waiting for us to find a rental!

Good luck - it's maddening being without your stuff.

Sue
Old Oct 6th 2005, 3:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

ALmost certainly nothing you can do. It happens at Christmas as well - mky stuff arrived at Christmas but didn't clear customs till mid Feb due to the backlog
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:52 am
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
ALmost certainly nothing you can do. It happens at Christmas as well - mky stuff arrived at Christmas but didn't clear customs till mid Feb due to the backlog
Oh my god thats AWFUL!!! :scared:
We're getting by with a matress and two chairs at the moment - but can't do that for much longer.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:13 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there -

Juanita, i work in the industry in Adelaide, believe me what your shipper is telling you is true. AQIS are putting a lot of new recruits on ,and they are checking every job according to the book. We are presently 3 days behind at are depot, also Adelaide has had an influx of Korean immigrants, and their shipments are being carefully scrutinised for food products, a lot are not declaring..........pm me if you want more imfo................ mm
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:17 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh God, what a nightmare to be stuck without your stuff for such a long period of time. I hope Juanita doesn't have to wait that long, poor love.

Nicky
Old Oct 6th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Hi there -

All the hassle and stress to get there and it don't end even when you get there. The last thing you need is a Custom's backlog, how frustrating!! Hope it gets to you soon. If you ring it will probably be the same old answer 'its being dealt with SOON' Best of luck.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:49 am
JME

Originally Posted by mr mover
Juanita, i work in the industry in Adelaide, believe me what your shipper is telling you is true. AQIS are putting a lot of new recruits on ,and they are checking every job according to the book. We are presently 3 days behind at are depot, also Adelaide has had an influx of Korean immigrants, and their shipments are being carefully scrutinised for food products, a lot are not declaring..........pm me if you want more imfo................ mm
Thanks Mr Mover,
I've been told that I should get my stuff next week - so fingers crossed!
Thanks also to all the rest of you.
Juanita
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

cat5 will become famous soon enoughcat5 will become famous soon enough

We are just in the process of deciding whether to ship our stuff or leave it behind, most of our furniture is old with some new items from ikea,the only thing we would like to take is our new leather 4 piece suite, but after seeing all these problems.....is it really worth it!!

Time you pay for shipping cost 3,500+, insurance "poss container cleaning", and the inconveniance of being without when you get there, is it really worth it!!

Our house is going on the rental market, so we are considering letting it fully furnished.