Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For any Plasterers who need to know

For any Plasterers who need to know

Old May 6th 2006, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future
Default For any Plasterers who need to know

Sorry took so long for a reply, it's wierd because you use a plastic bag full of water and a stuff they call putty Which in the uk was something you kept glass in with or made pots with, but this is white and sloppy and sealed in a bag which looks a bit like a pillow. Depending on how big a mix you want although the ozys call it a gage (I think thats how you spell it) you cut the bag and pour the contents into a large mixing bowl then with you're mixer which is the same back in the UK, a whisk, you gently mix at first until light and fluffy and put on a slow gentle simmer at gas mark 5, i'm joking, No sorry, mix untill blended then you add your Hardwall. Not the same as UK this again is pure white and like flour. Pour that in to the putty and mix while adding a little bit more water (as required), untill same sort of texture as Thistle or carlight finish back in the Uk, or for those of you who are not plasterers thick moose or slightly thicker Mc donalds milkshake.
You then apply to the wall from the bucket or mixing bowl more or less the same way as the UK but taking a bit more care as to getting most of the lines out and as flat as poss. Only troweling twice as it tends to go off pretty quick esp in the summer months. I find it's just different to back home. Also they don't have any bonding, Browning, any finishes, american hardwall, and they don't tend to plaster ceilings, which lets face it is never a favorite anyway. Everything is on render which they call floating and screeding, I know thats something on the floor back home but here it's the walls. and a straight edge is a T bar and you wait for the muck to just turn before you level your walls which makes a lot of mess and a hell of a lot of wastage. They don't unibond anything because they hav'nt got it here yet. So before adding your Plaster to the walls they wet it with a hose twice.
There's loads of work here. The pay varies but usually around the 4 or 5 dollers a mitre for both setting and Floating and no one asks you for your papers. I'm earning about $1400 to $1800 a week but tax is high. I take off 30% Owch!
Good luck Oh and where a hat if your working outdoors!
Old May 6th 2006, 1:47 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For any Plasterers who need to know

Originally Posted by monkeymark
Sorry took so long for a reply, it's wierd because you use a plastic bag full of water and a stuff they call putty Which in the uk was something you kept glass in with or made pots with, but this is white and sloppy and sealed in a bag which looks a bit like a pillow. Depending on how big a mix you want although the ozys call it a gage (I think thats how you spell it) you cut the bag and pour the contents into a large mixing bowl then with you're mixer which is the same back in the UK, a whisk, you gently mix at first until light and fluffy and put on a slow gentle simmer at gas mark 5, i'm joking, No sorry, mix untill blended then you add your Hardwall. Not the same as UK this again is pure white and like flour. Pour that in to the putty and mix while adding a little bit more water (as required), untill same sort of texture as Thistle or carlight finish back in the Uk, or for those of you who are not plasterers thick moose or slightly thicker Mc donalds milkshake.
You then apply to the wall from the bucket or mixing bowl more or less the same way as the UK but taking a bit more care as to getting most of the lines out and as flat as poss. Only troweling twice as it tends to go off pretty quick esp in the summer months. I find it's just different to back home. Also they don't have any bonding, Browning, any finishes, american hardwall, and they don't tend to plaster ceilings, which lets face it is never a favorite anyway. Everything is on render which they call floating and screeding, I know thats something on the floor back home but here it's the walls. and a straight edge is a T bar and you wait for the muck to just turn before you level your walls which makes a lot of mess and a hell of a lot of wastage. They don't unibond anything because they hav'nt got it here yet. So before adding your Plaster to the walls they wet it with a hose twice.
There's loads of work here. The pay varies but usually around the 4 or 5 dollers a mitre for both setting and Floating and no one asks you for your papers. I'm earning about $1400 to $1800 a week but tax is high. I take off 30% Owch!

where abouts in aus are you working??

my other half is a plasterer (just trawling through the tra at the moment) and has a job contact in brisbane, so its where we are heading.

sue
Old May 13th 2006, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins

my other half is a plasterer (just trawling through the tra at the moment) and has a job contact in brisbane, so its where we are heading.

sue
Perth no where near Brisbane, sorry
Old May 13th 2006, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Perth no where near Brisbane, sorry

Hi i arrive in Perth July30th ...great post any tips on how to find work as a plasterer asap?
Old May 13th 2006, 9:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: For any Plasterers who need to know

They don't unibond anything because they hav'nt got it here yet.
Unibond products in Australia.

Contact details:

HENKEL AUSTRALIA PTY LIMITED
PO Box 232 Bundoora
Vic, Australia 3083

EMAIL: [email protected]

PLEASE FREEPHONE Henkel on 1800 810 280 (Aust)
Old May 13th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clanwylie
Hi i arrive in Perth July30th ...great post any tips on how to find work as a plasterer asap?

Hi

Get in contact with Kris Maynard (from BE), they have only been here about 4 weeks, I gave them some contacts and I know he started this week as a plasterer

Her husband may be able to give you some tips

HTH

K
Old May 14th 2006, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

this is the type of plastering i am doing:-

its a lot brtter than skim. you have to be a lot more careful with the face of the plaster sheets though.
plastereboard comes in 6m x 1200 x 10mm & 6m x 1350 x 10mm :scared:
Attached Thumbnails For any Plasterers who need to know-inside-house-025.jpg   For any Plasterers who need to know-house1-016.jpg   For any Plasterers who need to know-house1-009.jpg   For any Plasterers who need to know-inside-house-027.jpg   For any Plasterers who need to know-inside-house-034.jpg  

Old May 14th 2006, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

Taping and Jointing, that ain't real plastering ! You take what you can get though I suppose.

Originally Posted by robert cowan
this is the type of plastering i am doing:-

its a lot brtter than skim. you have to be a lot more careful with the face of the plaster sheets though.
plastereboard comes in 6m x 1200 x 10mm & 6m x 1350 x 10mm :scared:
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:41 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

hi, hope you can help my husband, he is a very good plasterer, 10 years exp but nothing on paper as he was taught by a friend, will this stop him getting a license in aus. i understand that to be able to get a job plastering you first have to obtain a licence - is this right - can you give us some guidence please x x x x
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:18 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins

sue
any chance you could pass me on your job contact, my husband is a plasterer, we are going over in October for a months holiday to do a bit of research, would be good to meet up with another plasterer to find out the in's and out's (if you know what i mean).
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emmalina
hi, hope you can help my husband, he is a very good plasterer, 10 years exp but nothing on paper as he was taught by a friend, will this stop him getting a license in aus. i understand that to be able to get a job plastering you first have to obtain a licence - is this right - can you give us some guidence please x x x x
hi emmalina in Vic you dont have to have a licence to work as a plasterer but my employer did have a look at my references.
you asked about the T R A if you have no trade papers but lots of experience i had to get references from all my previous employers going back 17 years. :scared:
with my first two employers i set out the reference with what i had learned in my first year.start with the most basic of things then second year,then third year,then forth.putting in more technical things for as you go at the end your employer can state the he regarded you as fully qualified you have to include as much detail as you can ie all tools used and materials the you worked with.i also got tax & NI contributions records so the dates on these match the one on the references.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350260
hope this helps

Last edited by robert cowan; Jun 26th 2006 at 9:20 pm.