Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any pilots here?

Wikiposts

Any pilots here?

Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by darkless
Does anyone know what the rough cost of getting a PPL is in OZ (Perth area). I heard it was cheaper to achieve in OZ than in the UK.
Can't tell ya about UK, but I sure have sticker shock from the prices in Oz. That's why I'm getting all my currencies back to minimize the time needed to fly dual for the conversion.

Interesting enough, it seems that the threshold in Oz of renting vs ownership is lower. Haven't done much research there yet.

What really drives prices up is ATC costs. In Aussie it's all privatized and they charge you everytime you as much as look at a tower. I find that most ironic - seeing as here in the US where the right wants to privatize just about everything, including Congress, you don't hear much about privatizing the ATC system. Ironic because the vast majority of pilots I've met are all staunch Replicants.

As a result I've thought nothing of calling up ATC at Denver Intl and doing some approaches with the big boys. In Oz I'd prolly need to take out another mortgage. Oh well, I've always liked flying in the system, but Australia is empty enough that I'll get used to flying uncontrolled.

Mike
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Found this out

http://www.aviationinst.com.au/courses.html#ppl

looks like about $10,000 for PPL

That said I am sure I have seen somewhere it said about $6500 - but i cant find the link any more.

Dave
Dave,

Nothing beats flying. Well, *one* thing, but errr..... only barely!

In Australia from my current research it looks like you want to make sure it's a non-controlled/towered airfield. The cost of added in ATC is what blows the cost up.

I'm comparing Moorabbin and Tyabb and the differences are stark. You'll have to do SOME flying into controlled aerodromes, but later you'll avoid it for cost reasons.

Sad, as I love flying under ATC control, it's always great to have another guy on the ground looking out for you.
Mike
Old Jul 8th 2004, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Found this out

http://www.aviationinst.com.au/courses.html#ppl

looks like about $10,000 for PPL

That said I am sure I have seen somewhere it said about $6500 - but i cant find the link any more.

I must admit the notion of being able to fly a plane up tot shark bay etc for the weekend is very appealing

Dave
Cheers Dave thanks for that I will get saving.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
Cheers Dave thanks for that I will get saving.

Me too!!!

I did a trial flight here in the UK and loved every second. I would love to fly a solo flight - how amazing would that be.

One day.....
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to fly a solo flight - how amazing would that be.
Its the most unbelievable feeling ever, and I don't think you ever forget how good it was; its just you and the plane and all that space......your first solo is usually just a short circuit around the airfield - about 15 minutes or so in all. I learned at Shoreham, and part of the circuit there is over the sea. I remember seeing the sky above me, sea below me, poodling along at 1,100 feet in my trusy Cessna, Juliette, thinking "WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You then spend the rest of the week walking round with a silly grin on your face!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:46 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Micro-light aircraft?

Airborne Microlight Aircraft

Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pollyana
Its the most unbelievable feeling ever, and I don't think you ever forget how good it was; its just you and the plane and all that space......your first solo is usually just a short circuit around the airfield - about 15 minutes or so in all. I learned at Shoreham, and part of the circuit there is over the sea. I remember seeing the sky above me, sea below me, poodling along at 1,100 feet in my trusy Cessna, Juliette, thinking "WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You then spend the rest of the week walking round with a silly grin on your face!

That sounds great - I can't wait until I am in a position to do that. Unfortunately there are just a couple of more important things to do when we first get to OZ - jobs etc - Damm!!

Have you flown since you have been over there?

Dave
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't flown in Queensland yet - lack of cash, etc, but when I've been out before to visit friends in Tassie I've done a few flights down there - scenery is stunning!!!