Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Perth suburbs to avoid/aim for?

Any Perth suburbs to avoid/aim for?

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Perth suburbs to avoid/aim for?

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Thats a poor guideline as Landsdale is to the right of Wanneroo Road and I would certainly not say it was dodgy !

Warren
Agree. We live in Carramar, nowt wrong the place!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:07 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

South of the River some good suburbs are Kensington, Vic Park (west of Albany Highway) East Vic Park (although there are certain streets to avoid), Karrawarra, Salter point, Rossmoyne, Attadale (Gorgeous but v.expensive) Applecross, Mt Pleasant, and East Fremantle. These suburbs are all on or v.near the river.

Como is good also but mainly units or townhouses, actual houses are normally expensive cos there's not that many.

Inland a bit near/on the hills and also good are Gooseberry Hill, Kalamunda, Lesmurdie & Roleystone

Stay away from Bentley, St James and Queens Park. Also would not recommend Thornlie. (Queens Park is the dodgiest perth suburb and should be avoided at all costs) Also would avoid any of the Kwinana suburbs (Orelia, Parmelia, medina etc..) These suburbs are cheap for a reason !!!!!! (lots of drugs + Homeswest)
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 2:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Some good rules of thumb. As Odaat said Northern suburbs, west of Marmion better than right of Marmion.

Easy acronym for suburbs to avoid - KGB, (Koondoola, Girraween, Balga) although parts of Blaga are now called Westminster, don't be fooled.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:46 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Siren
I think he was being sarcastic... as was my hubby when he suggested Koondoola...lol.
Then the landsdale and Duncraig were jibes at the Banana's (as they are building there) and Duncraig was a return jibe at Brian because we live there... are we following?? LOL (Cause even I'm confused...hahah)

In other words... AVOID all those suburbs Lathlaine and Brian mentioned first. Landsdale and Duncraig are in fact very nice suburbs near Padbury and Hillarys.

Siren
Do you mind Siren, there is no 'e' in Lathlain!!! Honestly!

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:48 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
South of the River some good suburbs are Kensington, Vic Park (west of Albany Highway) East Vic Park (although there are certain streets to avoid), Karrawarra, Salter point, Rossmoyne, Attadale (Gorgeous but v.expensive) Applecross, Mt Pleasant, and East Fremantle. These suburbs are all on or v.near the river.

Como is good also but mainly units or townhouses, actual houses are normally expensive cos there's not that many.

Inland a bit near/on the hills and also good are Gooseberry Hill, Kalamunda, Lesmurdie & Roleystone

Stay away from Bentley, St James and Queens Park. Also would not recommend Thornlie. (Queens Park is the dodgiest perth suburb and should be avoided at all costs) Also would avoid any of the Kwinana suburbs (Orelia, Parmelia, medina etc..) These suburbs are cheap for a reason !!!!!! (lots of drugs + Homeswest)
You missed out Lathlain as a good suburb, Mairi

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much everyone............

Hope to meet you all at some point??
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 4:00 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

To the 'average' Brit travelling to Perth to live I think there more likely to be living on the Right of the Marmion than on the coastal side. the coastal side like Mindarie - Ocean Reef - Hillarys are very expensive.

Thats why people who are 'average' build, in places like Brighton - Landsdale - Carramar. Places like Ellenbrook (where I lived!!) may be a 20 min drive to the coast but are more likely places to settle. It's the newer suburbs that people tend to go for because they find it cheaper to build.

I think Balga must be one of the worst, and if you live there I'm sorry but thats my opinion. There are plenty of lovely suburbs that aren't as expensive as places like Cottesloe - Applecross and Mount Lawley.

Clarkson is sometimes frowned upon but I liked it and could mention far worse. Joondalup is a nice town but again prices have risen there too.

Good luck with your search.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 4:08 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

I'm in Yokine at the moment, but dont really know where it is.

Dont get me wrong, Perth is lovely, but it does all look a bit alike.

For what its worth I like Leaderville, but only cos I dig the Astor piccies.

Not much help am I? Soz.

Hi all.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 4:10 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loose
I'm in Yokine at the moment.

Dont get me wrong, Perth is lovely, but it does alllkk a bit alike.

For what its worth I like Leadeville, but only cos I dig the Astor Theatre.

Not much help am I? Soz.

Hi all.
lol, a bit alike...yes it does!! It took us at least a month before we realised we were going around in circles!! lol Don't tell the locals that all their suburbs look alike, they hate that!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 4:13 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by janeyray
lol, a bit alike...yes it does!! It took us at least a month before we realised we were going around in circles!! lol Don't tell the locals that all their suburbs look alike, they hate that!!!
Yeah, think I've annoyed a few of 'em already.

It is lovely though, the coast and river, and loads of places have a lot going for them. Its just that I'm used to landmarks. Plus I have the worst sense of direction ever. I got lost going for the paper this morning and it was left right left only.

Now give me directions like "turn left at the Kings HEad" and I'm away no prob.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loose
Yeah, think I've annoyed a few of 'em already.

It is lovely though, the coast and river, and loads of places have a lot going for them. Its just that I'm used to landmarks. Plus I have the worst sense of direction ever. I got lost going for the paper this morning and it was left right left only.

Now give me directions like "turn left at the Kings HEad" and I'm away no prob.
Take some different colour chalk with and mark the route, so if you go out for the paper you know which way you came
Old Dec 24th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jones Family
I'd agree with most of the posters, some good advice here. I'm not sure why exactly Wanaroo gets bad press; there are some lovely large blocks over there. IMHO Hilarys is McMansion land, I would hate to live there! There are also some lovely areas East, by the Swan River. Many Poms are attracted to the North Coastal Belt and it is becoming like one large suburb. I think some of the areas popular with Poms are over valued. While you're in the UK, get a UBD and try and glean info about where other posters are living, then look at what ammenities / industrial estates etc. are nearby.

We are renting in Joondalup and are using it as a base to explore the area for the next 6 months. It's handy as we're near the train station and the school, shops and surgery are within walking distance; we didn't realise how handy this was until our car battery went flat! I don't think we would buy here though, but time will tell... there is so much choice and we're not that sure about the market at the moment.

Could you maybe rent short term when you get here and then spend a few days exploring?
ATB
Larissa
Old Dec 24th 2004, 10:09 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I don't mean this to be a contentious issue, but was just wondering, in your individual opinions which areas of Perth would be best avoided.

My goodness, I cannot believe that we've been talking about moving to Oz for over three years now, and it's actually going to happen soon , and we have no idea where we are going to live. If we had location dependent jobs it would be a darned sight easier.

I would like to be near the usual, good shops, childcare, restaurants, PEOPLE!!

Thanks all, would love to hear your views (ok they might be biased but I still want to hear them!)

PS What is that area between Hillary's and Scarborough. Personally I liked Hillary's in an ironic Stepford Wives kind of way
It all depends much cash you have and/or how much mortage you can afford.

Beach suburb living is expensive so if unless ya loaded look further inland.

Give me a ball park figure and I'll tell ya where to look
Old Dec 24th 2004, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We live in Hillarys Larissa and we like it, have been in the suburb just over 2 years now. Think we all have an oponion of different suburbs and why we like them and why we dont, otherwise we would all be overcrowded wouldnt we, but i wouldnt comment on suburb if i hadnt actually lived there
Joanne
Old Dec 25th 2004, 12:33 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Loose!!!!!

Your're near me!

I'm just above Leederville(and my friend lives there). It's very nice, but not affordable for many.
How long are you around here for???

Mount Hawthorn is nice, where we live. We're renting though, and won't ever buy here, it's too expensive(don't want to either, want more country).

Suburbs here usually don't have very clear borders, so you can't even tell if you're in the next suburb.
Only by using the UBD will you know
A lot of the suburbs seem much of the same to me too.
I'd like to end up living on the edge of the city(hills...)(or really in the southwest, but don't think that'll work with jobs)
I notice differences between older and newer suburbs though. And you can tell the more run down ones too(only if you look carefully).
Older suburbs still have a bit of a main street with shops(the suburbs around here). They also still have 'local' pubs. (we have the "Paddo" and the "Oxford" just down the road(not that we go often, we're not british )
The newer ones are well... new. With shopping centres. And not very leafy. And far away from the city(where most/a lot of people work).
But they're cheaper though, which is very important of course.

Last edited by Simone; Dec 25th 2004 at 12:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.