Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Personal Views On Financial Status

Any Personal Views On Financial Status

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 9:35 am
Just Joined

paulap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Personal Views On Financial Status

I know finances are a very personal matter, but I would appreciate any opinions.

I am starting a new job at the end of the month in order to work 20 hrs or more to enable us to apply as skilled independant (I'm a nurse). We would then be in a position to apply for Regional Sponsorship in 6 months due to having family in NSW.

Our problem is this. We are not in a very strong position financially & once all the costs involved in migrating are met we would not have much left over to take to Oz with us. Due to this I feel it may be better to wait a while especially as we have 2 small children to support. I know I would be able to obtain work, but my husband is in the police & before that the Parachute Regiment so is limited as to what he can do.

However, after reading Paul Froome's story in the Australian News this morning, not being able to migrate years ago due to finances & other stories like it, I wonder if we should take a chance & go for it. If it was only myself & hubby I would have no hesitation, but it is the kids that make me feel I should be more practical, but on the other side I worry that if I leave it too late there wont be the same opportunities for nurses.

If anyone has actually read all these ramblings & has any experience or views they would be most appreciated.

Paula
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Personal Views On Financial Status

Paula - if I were you I'd go for it. Children are very adaptable and will soon settle into whatever life you build for them in Oz.

I would imagine you are going to Oz for a new, probably better lifestyle not because of money. I would seize the opportunity when it is presented to you. Life is too short to wait for things and who wants to live a life of regrets. There will always be some reason or other why you could put this decision off, if its money now it might be something else later. If you and your family really want to go then I say go for it. It sounds as though you will be OK for employment when you get there, I suggest you and your husband start doing a little planning/research into what he could possibly do when he gets there and it will make you all feel more positive. I have one regret in life and that is that I didn't start this migration process years ago!!!

Best of luck with whatever you decide

Lizzie
Old Jul 4th 2002, 3:20 am
Wagga

Why not u got first and established a career? Then maybe a couple of months later,
the rest of the family join in.

Old Jul 7th 2002, 4:20 pm
Ravenhousehold

I agree with earlier postings - go for it My husband and I are going for our two boys
- now 2yrs and 8 months. We are hoping to give them a better life - not having to
worry everyday about the high crime rate and low schooling qualities. At the end of
the day - if you don't like it there is nothing to stop you coming back Nikki

Old Jul 7th 2002, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I'm looking forward to spending time with my 5yr old as I've worked full time in my own business since she was born. Alot of time to catch up, some regretably that will never be experienced again.
Anybody in the same situation?
Go for it girl! Nursing is something that can be returned to if needs be and as the other postee said - Life stlye and experiances for the children make for way better memories than money!!!
Best wishes
Britbird
Old Jul 7th 2002, 10:14 pm
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it girl,
This world would not advance at all if we wern't willing to take a risk.

Good luck
Col.
Old Jul 7th 2002, 10:30 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paula,

I too am a nurse..if you want to email me privately youre welcome.

Me and my family have been going to do this migration thing twice before and god do I wish we had gone the first time we thought about it...11yrs ago.
Our children are older and can vocalise their opinions much more and Im sure it will be harder on them than if we had gone when they were younger..emotionally I mean. They worry about how things are going to be etc now whereas they wouldn't have yrs ago. There will be tears from them when the time to go comes, so it will make it much more difficult for myself too having to cope with 2 girls who are upset as well as myself...upset may be the wrong word but you know what I mean....
If there is any way at all I would say go for it now or as soon as you have the required 6 months @ 20hrs/wk, because as lizzie says there are always excuses as to why its best to do something later and not now and when the time comes there will be a different problem....

Could your hubby not be in the police in Oz??
You can get lots of info by 'researching' as lizzie says. I have lots of contacts re nursing in my particular field, its amazing that 99% of all the contacts I have made via email have replied and offered help if they could.
You will have plenty of time during the next 6 months to do all this

I would say ..go for it girl....

But good luck whatever you decide
Old Jul 7th 2002, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point

There are lots of job an ex-serviceperson could do in Australia. It depends more on what he *wants* to do.
To save costs, you may want to move to a smaller town than the big metro areas of Australia. It will help you save costs, get a job and save some money.
Old Jul 8th 2002, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point

The police in Queensland do have a special course for exsisting police officers from overseas. Check out their website at
police.qld.gov.au
If your hubby needs more info, get him to contact us privately on email.
Britbird
Old Jul 8th 2002, 7:17 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Paula,

I can't claim to know how it's like for anyone other than myself, but I think one should never be paralysed by indecision, or inaction.

The one great feature about Australia's PR system is that it allows you to apply for the PR up to 5 years before you are actually ready to move in.

While migration is a decision not to be taken lightly, applying for it can be done with a long-term view of actually doing it a few years down the road. If you have an inclination to move Down Under in the forseeable future, it won't hurt you more than a few hundred pounds than to put in an application now, and hold on to the visa (if it's approved) until you are ready to permanently relocate.

It's always better to have and not need, rather than to need and not have.

Peter
Old Jul 8th 2002, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

paulap is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think you're right, that in 6 months we should go for it as life's too short. Like someone said before you tend to regret what you don't do as opposed to what you do.

This NG is brilliant, not just for the amount of info. I've already picked up, but for the support everyone gives each other, as other people who aren't in the same situation don't really understand what it means to you. (Especially parents who don't want the grandchildren taken away).

Thanks again & I know I'll have loads more questions & traumas over the coming months.

Paula