Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any part qualified accountants out there?

Any part qualified accountants out there?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:34 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light
Question Any part qualified accountants out there?

Just a quick question.
Have any part qualified accountants been granted visa's. If so which type.
I'm half way through intermediate level ACCA and have been told to complete the qualification before atempting to apply for a visa.
Any info would be very helpfull.
Thanks
Rick
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:22 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any part qualified accountants out there?

Originally Posted by Rick C
Just a quick question.
I'm half way through intermediate level ACCA and have been told to complete the qualification before atempting to apply for a visa.
Thanks
Rick
To get the visa, you have to pass the skill assessment first. To pass that, you do need the qualification plus so many months' experience.

Have a look at the DIMIA web site (booklet 6). The booklet also lists the organisations that carry out the skills assessment for accountants.

Gina
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
To get the visa, you have to pass the skill assessment first. To pass that, you do need the qualification plus so many months' experience.
There is normally no work experience requirement to get skill assessed as an accountant.

DIMIA will expect to see skilled work experience when you apply to them, and this can be a problem for some newly qualified people.

The original poster should concentrate first on getting the joint ACCA/Oxford Brookes BSc degree. This may be accepted by the skill assessing authorities (especially ICAA and NIA).

But the skilled work experience issue must be addressed before applying to DIMIA. They will refuse an application from someone with an assessment as an accountant if they think the work experience is really that of a book-keeper or accounts clerk (for example).

Have a look at the DIMIA web site (booklet 6). The booklet also lists the organisations that carry out the skills assessment for accountants.

Gina
Accountants have a choice of three - ICAA, CPAA and NIA. DIMIA don't care which one you use.

In terms of requirements, ICAA and NIA are a little easier than CPAA.

Jeremy
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 8:34 am
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is normally no work experience requirement to get skill assessed as an accountant.

DIMIA will expect to see skilled work experience when you apply to them, and this can be a problem for some newly qualified people.

The original poster should concentrate first on getting the joint ACCA/Oxford Brookes BSc degree. This may be accepted by the skill assessing authorities (especially ICAA and NIA).

But the skilled work experience issue must be addressed before applying to DIMIA. They will refuse an application from someone with an assessment as an accountant if they think the work experience is really that of a book-keeper or accounts clerk (for example).

Accountants have a choice of three - ICAA, CPAA and NIA. DIMIA don't care which one you use.

In terms of requirements, ICAA and NIA are a little easier than CPAA.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sorry if this is asking a question you've already answered, but is it possible to get a positive skills assessment with just the ACCA Oxford Brookes degree and not the full ACCA qualification? At recent expo's all the migration agents kept saying that having a degree was the most important thing.

Thanks
Rick
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 10:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy
Sorry if this is asking a question you've already answered, but is it possible to get a positive skills assessment with just the ACCA Oxford Brookes degree and not the full ACCA qualification? At recent expo's all the migration agents kept saying that having a degree was the most important thing.

Thanks
Rick
Look at the websites of the skill assessing bodies and you'll see their requirements.

A degree in accountancy is normally the main thing (it's sometimes possible to substitute a fully completed overseas professional qualification) but:

1. They might not accept this particular degree (especially CPAA - try the others instead).

2. You still need skilled work experience to satisfy DIMIA requirements.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 3rd 2005 at 11:03 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question.
Thanks
Rick
Hi Rick

I am a part qualified accountant , also half way through ACCA before I came to Oz. I am married and therefore got my visa through my husband's trade, and not mine so I am afraid I can't help you with your question but just wanted to say that I am currently working for a recruitment agency for accountants and at the moment it is a candidate short market. There are loads of jobs for part qualified and qualified accountants and nobody to take them! Maybe sponsorship from an employer might be an option?? Otherwise finish ACCA while gaining more experience, get your visa and you should get work easy.

JB ( Perth )
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:16 pm
G'day Sport

Originally Posted by KBREMBO
Hi Rick

I am a part qualified accountant , also half way through ACCA before I came to Oz. I am married and therefore got my visa through my husband's trade, and not mine so I am afraid I can't help you with your question but just wanted to say that I am currently working for a recruitment agency for accountants and at the moment it is a candidate short market. There are loads of jobs for part qualified and qualified accountants and nobody to take them! Maybe sponsorship from an employer might be an option?? Otherwise finish ACCA while gaining more experience, get your visa and you should get work easy.

JB ( Perth )
Hi JB
That is an option but I wouldn't know where to start looking.
Got any info you could give me.
Thanks
Rick
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JB
That is an option but I wouldn't know where to start looking.
Got any info you could give me.
Thanks
Rick
Most recruitment agencies and employers advertise on the seek website
www.seek.com.au . Try this for starters and see how you go. Give me a shout if I can help with anything else.

JB
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by KBREMBO
Hi Rick

JB ( Perth )

In a situation like that I'd recommend completing the BSc/Oxford Brookes degree (if you've not already done so). But then think hard as to whether you should give the ACCA final stage priority, or do Australian CPA first instead, provided CPAA give your degree some recognition.

Better still, if you work for an accredited firm (it doesn't have to be in practise), do the Australian CA program, it's a more prestigious qualification and ICAA are quite flexible in comparison to most other chartered bodies.

Jeremy
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:19 am
G'day Sport

Originally Posted by JAJ
In a situation like that I'd recommend completing the BSc/Oxford Brookes degree (if you've not already done so). But then think hard as to whether you should give the ACCA final stage priority, or do Australian CPA first instead, provided CPAA give your degree some recognition.

Better still, if you work for an accredited firm (it doesn't have to be in practise), do the Australian CA program, it's a more prestigious qualification and ICAA are quite flexible in comparison to most other chartered bodies.

Jeremy

Hi guys
Thanks for all the info. Looks like which ever route I take I've got alot of work in front of me before I can start my application.
But it will all be worth it in the end, I hope.
Cheers Rick