Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any OTs/ nurses out there?

any OTs/ nurses out there?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:41 am
Just Joined

auxwuff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any OTs/ nurses out there?

Myself and my partner have just moved out here to lovely NZ. we're loving lots of aspects about it however i have never experienced so much bad feeling amongst healthcare professionals with regards to wages.

With investigation i have further learnt that I have not been placed on the correct level, in terms of my experience, hence i am $4500 out of pocket per annum. it seems that overseas people coming over here to work as OTs, social workers, nurses etc. should find out and negotiate wages/ levels prior to signing the contract. I did ask why I had been placed on a lower level- the hospital informed me that because of the agency fees, they placed me on this lower level to compensate payment from the agency who found me the job.

I looked into this further as it seemed a very unfair explanation and the NZ association of occupational therapy stated that they found this to be very unusual practice.

I just thought i'd warn any potential HCPs considering working out here and perhaps advise people to contact the District health boards directly, rather than going through agencies.

Has anybody else experienced any difficulties working within this field?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:04 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any OTs/ nurses out there?

Originally posted by auxwuff
Myself and my partner have just moved out here to lovely NZ. we're loving lots of aspects about it however i have never experienced so much bad feeling amongst healthcare professionals with regards to wages.

With investigation i have further learnt that I have not been placed on the correct level, in terms of my experience, hence i am $4500 out of pocket per annum. it seems that overseas people coming over here to work as OTs, social workers, nurses etc. should find out and negotiate wages/ levels prior to signing the contract. I did ask why I had been placed on a lower level- the hospital informed me that because of the agency fees, they placed me on this lower level to compensate payment from the agency who found me the job.

I looked into this further as it seemed a very unfair explanation and the NZ association of occupational therapy stated that they found this to be very unusual practice.

I just thought i'd warn any potential HCPs considering working out here and perhaps advise people to contact the District health boards directly, rather than going through agencies.

Has anybody else experienced any difficulties working within this field?
hello fellow sheffielder!!
Does seem unfair!!
I am a nurse, and intend to apply direct to the agencies and/or hospitals when we get out there (Aus). I would get in touch with the agency and argue it with them, seems they havnt done their job properly - surely something like passing on the placement cost to you isnt a minor thing that can be overlooked?
Are the NZ Assoc of OTs willing to help you argue your case?
Good luck, keep us posted!!

sue
ps, if you have already left Sheffield you will pleased to know it is cold, very windy and very wet!!!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 2:52 am
Just Joined

auxwuff is an unknown quantity at this point

greetings to you in lovely sheffield!!

oh how i miss the place- no really i do! have been having lots of homesickness pangs which i'm putting down to christmas.

not missing the commute from ecclesall road to rotherham everyday though!

anyhow onto NZ / OZ business. i just wanted to make other HCPs aware to ensure they are on the right level before signing that contact- because for me it has been the bain of my life and makes me feel that i've been discriminated by coming thru' an agency. just be careful!

i wouldn't like to get back in touch with the agency as she wasn't exactly the most ameniable character at times and now they are out of the picture (with some of my wages sitting in their pocket!)

my next plan of action is to write a letter to the 'managers' at the hospital to express my grievancies.

oh well, there's always fruit picking!!

good luck with everything. by the way how old are your twins...?

Anna x