Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all
Default Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Mick and I have recently sent in our application again (first one got lost in post) to transfer to RAN - after reading your posts I think I will pre-order a case of wine and a bumper box of chocs, oh and maybe some valium!

Fingers crossed for us all

Adrienne
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by handbagmad
Mick and I have recently sent in our application again (first one got lost in post) to transfer to RAN - after reading your posts I think I will pre-order a case of wine and a bumper box of chocs, oh and maybe some valium!

Fingers crossed for us all

Adrienne
I just wanted to mention as we have had a very hard time getting my husband to be released from the navy here. It might help to not use the word transfer. The Navy here have taken 6 months to give my husband an official date even though he gave 12 months notice, he made the mistake of using the word transfer and they tried to use a BR clause that took months and legal advice to try and get around, even thought the clause could never stand but there we go.

Actually our men are not transferring at all. They are leaving the Navy here and joining the Australian Navy there with a gap of about 2 days in between.

When we leave my husband will finish on the Friday here and join the RAN on the Monday in London.

Hope this may help a little bit as I don't want anybody to have to go through the stress that we did for those 6 months
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all

Thanks for that advice about not using the word transfer. I knew you left RN to join RAN but didn't know that it could cause problems like you had with that one word. It is gone from my vocabulary!

Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:18 am
Just Joined

OddsandSods is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Josie1100
I just wanted to mention as we have had a very hard time getting my husband to be released from the navy here. It might help to not use the word transfer. The Navy here have taken 6 months to give my husband an official date even though he gave 12 months notice, he made the mistake of using the word transfer and they tried to use a BR clause that took months and legal advice to try and get around, even thought the clause could never stand but there we go.

Actually our men are not transferring at all. They are leaving the Navy here and joining the Australian Navy there with a gap of about 2 days in between.

When we leave my husband will finish on the Friday here and join the RAN on the Monday in London.

Hope this may help a little bit as I don't want anybody to have to go through the stress that we did for those 6 months
Shouldn't be a problem with JPA now as all you do is tick boxes. The only thing I had to do was make sure my Line Manager put in his text box that I was not to be given Reserve Liability on leaving (a requirement to join the ADF). I was released with little fuss or fanfare - quite an anticlimax after 21 years in the mob!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We were one of the first people to do it through JPA. After 3 months and 4 attempts trying to use it they had to go to hard copy as it was not playing ball. With outstanding pay also over £1,500 with JPA we can only but wish that it was oh so easy
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:36 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

JPA is only as good as the writer or line manager putting in the info,I used to work ina UPO on the RN desk ) - we had a nightmare with hubby when he left this year (although not to join RAN)as they put put him as PVR rather than leaving 3 months early due to job offer. We found it very hard to get help or answers from anyone, it caused major problems with his pension and a lot of stress. It was sorted out out but we really didn`t need it 4 wks before we flew to Perth. Check everything and chase it along the way if you are due pension.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Hey Guys

Can any of you tell me how long it takes for the temporary accomodation to be booked? We have been told that the DHA have a shortage of housing in Perth so can anyone tell us what happens if they can't give us a house. I know we get a rent allowance but is it up to us to find somewhere to rent? We have delayed the departure of our dog now as we aren't sure how long it will take to get somewhere to live. Are there many dog friendly places to rent privately? Nightmare!

My hubby didn't have any problems leaving the RN but then again he'd done over 22 years and was extended time. Pension not due till end of September so we are hoping there will no problems. It would be nice to get the lump sum now to change up seeing as the exchange rate is so good, have just done our house money so very happy seeing as it was looking grim a week or so ago! Just about 6 weeks to ago and loads to do..... I'll do it tomorrow!

Hopefully your visa will be with you Monday Josie exactly one week after ours(fingers crossed for you again)

Kate
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Wooders;5201554]Hey Guys

Can any of you tell me how long it takes for the temporary accomodation to be booked? We have been told that the DHA have a shortage of housing in Perth so can anyone tell us what happens if they can't give us a house. I know we get a rent allowance but is it up to us to find somewhere to rent? We have delayed the departure of our dog now as we aren't sure how long it will take to get somewhere to live. Are there many dog friendly places to rent privately? Nightmare!

My hubby didn't have any problems leaving the RN but then again he'd done over 22 years and was extended time. Pension not due till end of September so we are hoping there will no problems. It would be nice to get the lump sum now to change up seeing as the exchange rate is so good, have just done our house money so very happy seeing as it was looking grim a week or so ago! Just about 6 weeks to ago and loads to do..... I'll do it tomorrow!

Hopefully your visa will be with you Monday Josie exactly one week after ours(fingers crossed for you again)

Kate[/QUOTE

I must be quite lucky as we have been allocated temporary accommodation within 1 week of faxing the forms away Kate but then we are going to Sydney and not joining all of you lovely peeps

I thought that if you rented yourselves you do it and then go on the rent calculator? Not much help I am afraid as I haven't looked at this option yet.

As for pension, we have emailed and written to the pensions people here to get a forecast and we have had no reply. We have had luck with Australia though, who have said as long as we contact them within 90 days or arriving they will put 26% in our pension as they recognise Martyn's time he has done in the Navy here So some good news for a change
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Josie1100;5201589]
Originally Posted by Wooders
Hey Guys

Kate[/QUOTE

I must be quite lucky as we have been allocated temporary accommodation within 1 week of faxing the forms away Kate but then we are going to Sydney and not joining all of you lovely peeps

I thought that if you rented yourselves you do it and then go on the rent calculator? Not much help I am afraid as I haven't looked at this option yet.

As for pension, we have emailed and written to the pensions people here to get a forecast and we have had no reply. We have had luck with Australia though, who have said as long as we contact them within 90 days or arriving they will put 26% in our pension as they recognise Martyn's time he has done in the Navy here So some good news for a change
Hey Josie, when do you fly out? We go through the High Commission on 3 Sep en route to Sydney.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=OddsandSods;5201959]
Hey Josie, when do you fly out? We go through the High Commission on 3 Sep en route to Sydney.
If we ever get these visa's then we fly 5th November..out with a bang lol!!!

We have just been given our first temporary address and I am very impressed with it. Martyn my husband is joining the Australian Navy Band and will be based at HMAS Kuttabul.

Are you going to be anywhere near us? Kind of exciting to hear of another person going the same place as us
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Josie1100;5202085]
Originally Posted by OddsandSods

If we ever get these visa's then we fly 5th November..out with a bang lol!!!

We have just been given our first temporary address and I am very impressed with it. Martyn my husband is joining the Australian Navy Band and will be based at HMAS Kuttabul.

Are you going to be anywhere near us? Kind of exciting to hear of another person going the same place as us
I think you may have had dealings with the missus. We're going to Holsworthy (Army). We're in the throes of trying to get a decent house out of DHA - difficult as they have no 4 beds in the areas we want, so we'll be driving around a lot when we get there.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=OddsandSods;5202104]
I think you may have had dealings with the missus. We're going to Holsworthy (Army). We're in the throes of trying to get a decent house out of DHA - difficult as they have no 4 beds in the areas we want, so we'll be driving around a lot when we get there.
Hmmmm. Now you have me thinking Holsworthy and Army I remember but I am struggling with a name for her. A gentle reminder might help after the past few months with trying to remember so much?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Josie1100;5202151]
Originally Posted by OddsandSods

Hmmmm. Now you have me thinking Holsworthy and Army I remember but I am struggling with a name for her. A gentle reminder might help after the past few months with trying to remember so much?
Sarah! We're up at Yelverton and I have just left the RN - last job was at Stonehouse.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=OddsandSods;5202167]
Sarah! We're up at Yelverton and I have just left the RN - last job was at Stonehouse.
Yep I remember now.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

we have temporary accommodation for when we arrive at Sydney. It is 1 road back from Darling Harbour. WE have been told we are going to be based about 45 minutes commute to the barracks. How far will you be from us roughly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.