Reload this Page >

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

flo&mags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Originally Posted by Kayak84
were thinking of transferring so to speak... however just really dont know where to start to be perfectly honest. my oh is a submariner so were not entirely sure where he would go we are currently looking into what positions they are looking to fill any information would be greatly appreciated

thanx in advance

lyndsey and james

hi my OH is also a submariner & we have just arrived in Oz!! We have been sent to Melbourne but its not as it seems at the moment - most other submariners went directly to Perth - we should have gone there too. Life is good though - albeit a bit hectic. PM if u want any further info.
Flo.X
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flo&mags
hi my OH is also a submariner & we have just arrived in Oz!! We have been sent to Melbourne but its not as it seems at the moment - most other submariners went directly to Perth - we should have gone there too. Life is good though - albeit a bit hectic. PM if u want any further info.
Flo.X
Wow you are here!!!! Just wanted to say hi and hope your new adventure has started ok?

We are always here and understand those first weeks/months are so hectic.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Kayak84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Flo.X
thanx for that he has sent off an expression of interest form so we will see what and when they reply to us and go from there i guess... we had heard perth but a few people had said melbourne also so we will have to wait and see.
# one of my main concerns is if all goes well and we get out there will my oh be sent away prety much straight away i really dont fancy being on my own from pretty much when we get out there. as we dont have our own family yet i really would be alone and also i was wondering what is it like for jobs ie for me. is it difficult to find work?

lyndsey
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kayak84
thanx for that he has sent off an expression of interest form so we will see what and when they reply to us and go from there i guess... we had heard perth but a few people had said melbourne also so we will have to wait and see.
# one of my main concerns is if all goes well and we get out there will my oh be sent away prety much straight away i really dont fancy being on my own from pretty much when we get out there. as we dont have our own family yet i really would be alone and also i was wondering what is it like for jobs ie for me. is it difficult to find work?

lyndsey
My OH will prob go to sea once we get to perth - poss as soon as but to be honest Im quite happy about going up there as there are so many people from this site that I dont think I will be alone. we will look after u. JOb there do seem to be a few - all depends on what u want to do - again I dont think u will have problem with that.
Flo
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Josie1100
Wow you are here!!!! Just wanted to say hi and hope your new adventure has started ok?

We are always here and understand those first weeks/months are so hectic.
Yes we are here - yippeee. All going well so far - waiting for our house so in a motel but its quite comfy. Girls have startt school & both seem happy, one is 9 the other is 3 & managed to get her into Kinder. All still a bit confussing but we are getting there.Thanks for yr message of support,
Flo.X
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Yes we are here - yippeee. All going well so far - waiting for our house so in a motel but its quite comfy. Girls have startt school & both seem happy, one is 9 the other is 3 & managed to get her into Kinder. All still a bit confussing but we are getting there.Thanks for yr message of support,
Flo.X
Hi Flo

Nice to hear things are going well We have finally found a house - not at all easy in Sydney. The house is small but in a great area with good schools and 20 min from the beach - and most importantly the house is clean and well maintained. OH have to commute 1 hour and 15 min by public transport - just impossible to find anything closer that we liked - and we still have to pay 780 a week. House is ready 8th of august - hopefully the container will have cleared customs by then. Did you have to find your own house or is it provided in Melbourne? How did you manage to get the youngest into kindergarten? Maia starts kindergarten in jan 09 after she turns 5 in nov. Euan will start pre-school - hopefully soon - having him in a flat is a complete nightmare.

Love Millie
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice
Cool Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Hi all, not surprised you went to melbourne as it seems that the RAN is sending all the new lateral recruits there first and then on to Perth after initial training, the base at Perth is a lot more laid back than over east so you should enjoy it! We came straight to perth and it was a godsend as the kids dont have to move school again, my OH has been to melbourne and sydney on courses now but they do a lot over here at Perth, Hope that helps
Wooders
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Kayak84 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx for the reassuring words we defo want to move. and by the time we get there hopefully ill have met a few friends on here so we wont be alone when we get there. just another quick question how long to pets have to stay in quarantine before they are allowed to be let to live in australia. its going to be a long road... by the looks of reading the rest of the thread... but im sure we will get there eventually
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Originally Posted by Millie11
Hi Flo

Nice to hear things are going well We have finally found a house - not at all easy in Sydney. The house is small but in a great area with good schools and 20 min from the beach - and most importantly the house is clean and well maintained. OH have to commute 1 hour and 15 min by public transport - just impossible to find anything closer that we liked - and we still have to pay 780 a week. House is ready 8th of august - hopefully the container will have cleared customs by then. Did you have to find your own house or is it provided in Melbourne? How did you manage to get the youngest into kindergarten? Maia starts kindergarten in jan 09 after she turns 5 in nov. Euan will start pre-school - hopefully soon - having him in a flat is a complete nightmare.

Love Millie

G'day mate,
I have got Abi into kinder yr 3 but she woild have to repeat the year again next year as she is just 3 - confused!! I am!! Just lucky I guess. Glad u have also found a home - thats a lot of travelling that OH will have to do & probably early in the morning too!!Thats also expensive isn't it?? Where are u at the moment then??
Can't waiting to get in tomorrow - just so that the kids have somewhere else to shout & run!! We wont get our stuff though for another couple of weeks so we are loaning stuff, if is better that Im shipping Im keeping it!!

Keep me informed.
Flo.XX
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wooders
Hi all, not surprised you went to melbourne as it seems that the RAN is sending all the new lateral recruits there first and then on to Perth after initial training, the base at Perth is a lot more laid back than over east so you should enjoy it! We came straight to perth and it was a godsend as the kids dont have to move school again, my OH has been to melbourne and sydney on courses now but they do a lot over here at Perth, Hope that helps
Wooders
Yes that does help thanks! How long have u been over here then? Is OH a subbie? How old are your children?

Flo.X
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Nick and Sara will become famous soon enoughNick and Sara will become famous soon enough

Hi - just thought I'd add my two pennorth...just received the medical papers which I have completed. Getting a medical is the next step. I was going to visit the med centre where I'm based but I have heard today that there may be 'specific' surgeries - I've heard tell there is one in Tavistock? Where did you go (if you don't mind me asking?!)

Short summary...
CPO
Submarines
Been in a loooong time...(but the Aus authorities know that and have still sent the paperwork so must be at least a little interested)
Living in Plymouth...

The other 'thing' I heard today is that there is a minimum time to serve of three years - anyone else heard of this? Or is just an urban myth so to speak?

Thanks in advance...btw, bar's open - virtual drinks on me!!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

If this paperwork is the beginning stage for your medical, then this is for you to get medical clearance to be fit to join the Navy. The Tavistock medical part is a long way down the line for the whole family to have medicals. I gather that this is the medical to get you cleared to be medically fit which you can get done at your Navy medical centre. The other medicals are for when you are applying for your visa and you have to pay for these. When you get to Australia you get reimbursed this money. When you get to applying for the Visa's you have to go to the Doctor/surgery that is the most local to you on the list. For us it was the Tavistock surgery.

Not sure what is the normal with the contracts. My husband has signed a 6 year contract but has to do a compulsary 3 of those 6 years. Hope this may be of some help.

Tammy
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Nick and Sara will become famous soon enoughNick and Sara will become famous soon enough

Hi Tammy - yes, big help - thankyou. Looks like a case of the usual half a story here, half a story there sort of situation (from people who haven't actually done it but know someone who has)...

I'll be making an appointment at the med centre tommoz then...

Last edited by Nick and Sara; Jul 22nd 2008 at 8:30 pm. Reason: to make sense out of my gobbledegook
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Hi Nick

My husband had all his Navy medical stuff done in Drake however a friend of ours who has been accepted after leaving the RN 6 years ago!! had his navy medical stuff at the Tavistock surgery. (The Stannary) Eye testing was done at an optician. As Tammy said he has to do 3 years before he can leave.

Enjoy the bar coz the pub life here in Perth isn't like the UK! I've just got back from a 5 week visit and loved being back in Plymouth! Just my luck that the sun came out as I came back! lol

Good luck

Originally Posted by Nick and Sara
Hi Tammy - yes, big help - thankyou. Looks like a case of the usual half a story here, half a story there sort of situation (from people who haven't actually done it but know someone who has)...

I'll be making an appointment at the med centre tommoz then...
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wooders
Wooders
We are here - didn't take long - arrive Oz 4/7 moved into our place 23/7 moved out 14/8 now in hotel till house is ready!! Hopefully going to Waiki. Do they have meet-ups here? if so when are they as we would love to meet some people as soon as.

Flo & Mags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.