Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice
Default Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Hi Congratulations the time will fly now!

Are you guys coming to Perth? My husband tells me the RAN are looking at trying to bring new people across twice a year and September is one of the dates.

We have friends who have terms of service but are now held up waiting for the labour agreement. Fingers crossed this is sorted out soon.

Good luck to all coming over

Originally Posted by flo&mags
Maybe we were lucky, I don't know. We had our medicals end Jan & we tracked them, then my step son had his done, even though he isn't coming with us, mid Feb. We had already been assigned our case office & I suppose we kept on his back!! I still can't believe that its here, but reading Trudie's email we may not be able to go till Sept - Can't wait that long so we are trying to see if we can go earlier so we can get more family time prior to OH joining-up!! Its all just a mega stress waiting game.
Flo.X
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

flo&mags is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Originally Posted by Wooders
Hi Congratulations the time will fly now!

Are you guys coming to Perth? My husband tells me the RAN are looking at trying to bring new people across twice a year and September is one of the dates.

We have friends who have terms of service but are now held up waiting for the labour agreement. Fingers crossed this is sorted out soon.

Good luck to all coming over

No we are going to Melbourne even though we are submariners!! Apparently we will be there for 12 months then up to Perth. We managed to talk with Trudie before she went on leave & she said 'pick a date to come over'. So we have & we should be there early July!!! OMG!!!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Jenine_Alan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Hi we are just looking for all the advice we can get really from anyone who has been through this process or who is currently going through the process.

My husband is in the very early stages of applying to the RAN having served in the RN previously. They have asked him to send further info via recorded internation mail which has been sent - so very early days yet.

We have a number of concerns as I am sure many other people on this forum have had before us, but I suppose we are looking for help, advice and re-assurance!?

Our main concerns are how easy will it be to cope with being so far away from friends and family? But most of all I suppose the big one is what happens if we move and all of a sudden he is deployed for months on end and I am in Australia not knowing anyone?

Has anyone asked this question on speaking to the RAN further along in the application, and if so what do you know? If there is anything else you can tell us which might help that would be great.

It's a big step and one which we would definitely be willing to take if the offer was there, but we need to get over these concerns before we start making any further progress.

Cheers Jenine & Alan
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

hazel123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenine_Alan
Hi we are just looking for all the advice we can get really from anyone who has been through this process or who is currently going through the process.

My husband is in the very early stages of applying to the RAN having served in the RN previously. They have asked him to send further info via recorded internation mail which has been sent - so very early days yet.

We have a number of concerns as I am sure many other people on this forum have had before us, but I suppose we are looking for help, advice and re-assurance!?

Our main concerns are how easy will it be to cope with being so far away from friends and family? But most of all I suppose the big one is what happens if we move and all of a sudden he is deployed for months on end and I am in Australia not knowing anyone?

Has anyone asked this question on speaking to the RAN further along in the application, and if so what do you know? If there is anything else you can tell us which might help that would be great.

It's a big step and one which we would definitely be willing to take if the offer was there, but we need to get over these concerns before we start making any further progress.

Cheers Jenine & Alan
Hi Jenine

Welcome to this thread! Don't know if I can answer any of your concerns re your hubby being at sea and you being stuck in a strange place on your own! We're currently applying to RAN but it's a long road - hubby's original application was sent July 06!!!! and to be truthful we're not much forward. This gives you lots of time to think about things and come to terms with moving away to the other side of the world. There are girls who post on here that are over in Oz already - JOSIE WHERE ARE YOU? and others that are well down the road - CALLING FLO!!! so they may be better placed to answer your question. Try not to worry too much at this stage - there's a long way to go!!! If it's any consolation I'll be int the same position. Hubby is ex RN submariner and we have 2 young kids. We don't know anyone in Oz - but hey, what an adventure!!!! I think by posting on this forum you're making the first move of speaking to other people in the same position which does help. I know there are meet-ups in Oz and i think you have to make a point of going to as many meets as possible to get to know people. I'm sure the RAN willl have some sort of support for wives/families and you just won't be left to get on with it. Keep in touch with the progress and i'm sure it won't be too long before someone else comes along with some advice.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Hi all

I have sent a Pm to Jennie with our update so far.

As you said it is a long road with many mountains to climb! We made it and are still here... almost 6 months now, not the easiest with 2 teenage kids! This site was a real help with making contacts.... don't bank on the RAN for big support as it didn't really happen. You kinda get on with life and meet people along the way.. Working helps to make and meet friends but If you have young kids you'll meet people through school etc.
It's a great place to bring up kids loads of opportunities but you have to work hard at meeting people and making friends. I am in contact with Josie and she is having a fab time in Sydney... well apart from her new white tailed friends!!! She's now working full time in a posh school! and enjoying it.

Be patient with the RAN they aren't the fastest card in the pack! As you said it's an adventure and an opportunity not to miss. Good luck to you all

Originally Posted by hazel123
Hi Jenine

Welcome to this thread! Don't know if I can answer any of your concerns re your hubby being at sea and you being stuck in a strange place on your own! We're currently applying to RAN but it's a long road - hubby's original application was sent July 06!!!! and to be truthful we're not much forward. This gives you lots of time to think about things and come to terms with moving away to the other side of the world. There are girls who post on here that are over in Oz already - JOSIE WHERE ARE YOU? and others that are well down the road - CALLING FLO!!! so they may be better placed to answer your question. Try not to worry too much at this stage - there's a long way to go!!! If it's any consolation I'll be int the same position. Hubby is ex RN submariner and we have 2 young kids. We don't know anyone in Oz - but hey, what an adventure!!!! I think by posting on this forum you're making the first move of speaking to other people in the same position which does help. I know there are meet-ups in Oz and i think you have to make a point of going to as many meets as possible to get to know people. I'm sure the RAN willl have some sort of support for wives/families and you just won't be left to get on with it. Keep in touch with the progress and i'm sure it won't be too long before someone else comes along with some advice.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

flo&mags is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

[QUOTE=Jenine_Alan;6116613]Hi we are just looking for all the advice we can get really from anyone who has been through this process or who is currently going through the process.

Cheers Jenine & Alan
[/QUOTE]

Hello Flo here. We have just completed our paperwork & should be heading off early July. I'm scared but am also very excited about the prospect of living somewhere different. We have been on quite a few overseas posts so leaving family wont be too bad - that's what I'm telling myself anyhow!! I know I will cry but its only a flight away.
Regarding friends - keep on this site and you will soon build up friendships - also I'm sure that once you arrive in Oz they will settle you in, your OH shouldn't go to sea straight away. Think about all the positives & then think why you would rather stay in the UK & then 'Go For It' - what have you to loose
I will try & help you as much as poss so feel free to PM me.
Flo.X
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Nightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mair
Hi, just found out about the forum. We initially went along to the information day in Plymouth Ap 2007, have sent all paperwork, but still awaiting to hear anything concrete, almost a year now, is this normal? We keep ringing and they keep saying all is going OK, they are awaiting to hear from category sponsor. Any info greatly appreciated!

Hi Mair

we share the same surname and live in Plymouth. We are at the same stage as you in our application and awaiting a further response from Oz. My husband has sent his application and medical.This is our second application as we stopped the last one due to family circumstances. This is our last chance to apply as OH is on the age limit threshold for the RAN.

Good luck with your application

Gina
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Nightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jenine_Alan

Cheers Jenine & Alan
Hi Jenine

we are in the early stages as well. My OH is ex RN. How long has your OH been out of the RN? We have friends (not on this forum) who followed this route and have been out there for 3 years. They went to Melbourne first, for 12 months training and then to Perth. They are heading back to Melbourne next year when he leaves the RAN. They are enjoying most of the experience and put up with the rest. Good luck with your application.

Gina
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough

Hi

What fanastic timing reading your post

DH is looking into to from today - he finishes his 22 years in 3 years and we are seriously considering the move.

We know a couple of people who have done this move, although one decided not to go for now and the other is out there already and loving it.

We had originally considered NZ, but after a lot of research we decided against it and it wasn't until speaking to someone a couple of nights ago who is in Oz that we thought about it.

Keep us in touch with how it goes, hopefully we will start the process in the next 12 months.

Best of luck I'm sure it will all go brilliantly.

Tracy
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Mair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant futureMair has a brilliant future

Hi everyone, has anyone heard anything about the new labour agreement. Our application was supposedly going along fantastically, all paperwork needed had been sent, when suddenly last month we had the disappointing news that the trade we're applying for is now probably not on the list when the new labour agreement is brought in. The trade in question is Boatswain's mate. Anyone else got any info? Trudie said she will let us know for definite in April, but has said it does not look promising. Any news would be helpful. Good luck everyone else!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mair
Hi everyone, has anyone heard anything about the new labour agreement. Our application was supposedly going along fantastically, all paperwork needed had been sent, when suddenly last month we had the disappointing news that the trade we're applying for is now probably not on the list when the new labour agreement is brought in. The trade in question is Boatswain's mate. Anyone else got any info? Trudie said she will let us know for definite in April, but has said it does not look promising. Any news would be helpful. Good luck everyone else!
We went for our citizenship test on Saturday at the Immigration office. When we were there we realised that many changes had taken place with the Labour agreements. It appears that the new Government have made changes to the agreements?

Sorry that I have no more info and hope you get the answers you want to hear
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:51 am
Just Joined

trudi1962 is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't have a date at all for the new Labour Agreement. I currently have 126 applicants, all at different stages. Around 40 of them are effected by this delay. As far as BM goes, the category in the RAN is overborne wich means they have not requested it on the new Labour Agreement. This doesn't mean it won't be included (name one corporate/ government decision that's ever made 100% sense), but if it isn't, we won't be able to continue with any of our BM applications. If it is included, the cat sponsor will look at each application on it's merit- but because they don't have vacancies, they will probably only recommend you if you walk on water. I sent an email to everyone saying I'd let you know when the Labour Agreement comes through so sit tight. If you're a BM, maybe start looking somewhere else (RNZN?) as the RAN is doubtful.
On a brighter note, one category that's screaming out for candidates is our Naval Police Coxswains. If anyone knows of and NPC who would be interested in coming down' give them my email address.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Everybody

Just thought I'd let you know that o/h got an email from Trudi yesterday advising that his medicals had all been passed and did we want to come to Oz in Sept 08 or Jan 09!!!!! Now it seems very real and it's doing my diet wonders as every time i think about things I make a bee line for the toilet!!!!! Don't think that Sept is an option for us as we've too much to do and with the hold up with immigration Trudi also thinks january is a safer bet. Can't believe that we're finally at the stage after nearly 2 years since our original enquiry was sent off. I'm assuming it's Perth we'll be going to as o/h is a submariner - but i'll keep you posted as and when we learn more. OMG - off to the toilet again !!!!!!

Hazel
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hazel123
Hi Everybody

Just thought I'd let you know that o/h got an email from Trudi yesterday advising that his medicals had all been passed and did we want to come to Oz in Sept 08 or Jan 09!!!!! Now it seems very real and it's doing my diet wonders as every time i think about things I make a bee line for the toilet!!!!! Don't think that Sept is an option for us as we've too much to do and with the hold up with immigration Trudi also thinks january is a safer bet. Can't believe that we're finally at the stage after nearly 2 years since our original enquiry was sent off. I'm assuming it's Perth we'll be going to as o/h is a submariner - but i'll keep you posted as and when we learn more. OMG - off to the toilet again !!!!!!

Hazel
Fantastic!!
Well pleased for you.
Will be watching your progress with interest as we are waiting to see if they will accept OH's medical and go on from there.

Good luck with the rest of your visa application.

Gina
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Hello Everyone

Update - Received an email from Trudi this morning as we had asked if we would be going direct to Perth.(hubby is submariner). Trudi has said we'll be going to Melbourne for 8 months for hubby's training and then onto Perth!!!! We're now in a quandry about what to do. We've got 2 girls, 10 and 7 who are a bit nervous about moving and I'm not happy about putting them in school in Melbourne for 8 months then having to unsettle them again by starting all over in Perth. Trying to think of all ways round this as we're really keen to come over. Looking at moving direct to Perth and me and the girls staying and getting settled there while o/h does training in Melbourne. It's not ideal as we don't know a soul and it's a scary thought being on my own for 8 months!! Anybody got any suggestions? My understanding from previous posts on this thread was this had caused problems in the past as people were getting settled in Melbourne and didn't cope well with the move to Perth. I thought they were trying to post direct to Perth with the training in Melbourne and Sydney as reqd.
Any suggestions or experiences will be gratefullly received

Hazel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.