Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any one with Raynaud's

Wikiposts

Any one with Raynaud's

Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any one with Raynaud's

Any one with Raynaud's
that are suffering with the winter cold in the UK.
Today it is so cold that i can not go out side.
My body feels like it is shutting down, with head and heart aching and hands that just wont work.
Once again year round come the gloves, hat, and scarf to wear inside.
How do you cope in the cold with this condition? Any tips!

And those that have lived through winters in the warmth of Aus or others, do you find that the symptoms are far less or not at all.
Would you say that uprooting your life to live in the warmth of another country has made a considerable difference to your way of living with this condition, and if so what?
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one with Raynaud's

I used to wear gloves inside at times in winter when we lived in Canada. I also wore thick cotton socks and slippers all winter and just warm slippers on cooler days in summer.

Really, being in Australia hasn't helped all that much. I still wear gloves in winter and have days where my fingers don't work and my feet hurt so much I can barely get out of bed. As for summer, my feet still hurt, but they're not as cold. Winters my feet are bloody freezing - moreso than ever in Canada. I blame the crap construction here and the fact that the houses are built on cold concrete slabs instead of warm subfloors.

I also suffer with arthritis in my knees and left hip as a result of years of gymnastics. The heat here doesn't seem to have helped much with that, either.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a postie and has been through one winter here and had no problems.Though the houses get very cold here in the winter but he has been fine.In England his fingers would turn yellow and he would lose any feeling in them and to be honest it played a large part in moving to Oz.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I used to wear gloves inside at times in winter when we lived in Canada. I also wore thick cotton socks and slippers all winter and just warm slippers on cooler days in summer.

Really, being in Australia hasn't helped all that much. I still wear gloves in winter and have days where my fingers don't work and my feet hurt so much I can barely get out of bed. As for summer, my feet still hurt, but they're not as cold. Winters my feet are bloody freezing - moreso than ever in Canada. I blame the crap construction here and the fact that the houses are built on cold concrete slabs instead of warm subfloors.

I also suffer with arthritis in my knees and left hip as a result of years of gymnastics. The heat here doesn't seem to have helped much with that, either.
Hi Dorothy, i too wear thick socks, three pairs on at one time when the weather is like this.
If i attempt to go out when it is this cold i put three pairs of socks and woolly boots on and about five thick layers of tops on under my coat two pair of trousers, one normal and one joggers, then a couple of scarfs and hat followed by a top with a hood on and two pairs of gloves, and that is just to go to the shops.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petensue
My husband is a postie and has been through one winter here and had no problems.Though the houses get very cold here in the winter but he has been fine.In England his fingers would turn yellow and he would lose any feeling in them and to be honest it played a large part in moving to Oz.
Hi, Just a question to ask.
Did your husband find that each year in UK his condition would deteriorate a little bit more each winter?
And did it just effect his hands or did his whole body start to hurt when going out into the cold?
Do you feel you have made the right choice in moving to help your condition and how you feel.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ausi dream
Hi, Just a question to ask.
Did your husband find that each year in UK his condition would deteriorate a little bit more each winter?
And did it just effect his hands or did his whole body start to hurt when going out into the cold?
Do you feel you have made the right choice in moving to help your condition and how you feel.
Hi there, his condition remained the same in the UK with just his hands and feet feeling the cold and geting numb.

He feels it is the right choice as he worked outside in England aswell and feels so much better now.

I should add that he thinks he has Raynaud's though never had it confirmed by a doctor.Sue.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The DH has Reynauds and chilblains every winter here. He just puts it down to terrible circulation. One of his brothers also has it. Mind you he does cycle in all weathers with shorts and t shirt so he is probably a bit daft.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Sudden changes in temperature should be avoided with Raynauds.

Cold does not help but it is not the absolute temperature that matters it is any change....the problem is circulatory and affects people all over the world...not just 'cold' countries.

G
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Sudden changes in temperature should be avoided with Raynauds.

Cold does not help but it is not the absolute temperature that matters it is any change....the problem is circulatory and affects people all over the world...not just 'cold' countries.

G
You are absolutely right, my worst months of the year are spring/summer and autumn/winter when the change is coming.
And even when inside the air-con affects it.
Year before last when i had returned from holiday i ended up at the hospital due to the air-con in the room affecting my hands.
Even during summer time i still have the same problem and have to avoid wind blowing as this seems cold too.
Having spent time in warmer countries i do find that it helps and my body does not feel so poorly and i have more energy.

Last edited by ausi dream; Jan 4th 2009 at 7:37 pm. Reason: adding