Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:59 am
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice
Default Re: Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Originally Posted by Zambia
Time sure fly's when your having fun.

Same to you mate
HI Zambia,

How is Melbourne these days,

We are loving it here in the South West of WA.

Problem solving all the way, but with vineyards on your door step, and the beach is only a 3 min walk away. those problems soon fade away....

Regards
Silverski
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:04 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverski
HI Zambia,

How is Melbourne these days,

We are loving it here in the South West of WA.

Problem solving all the way, but with vineyards on your door step, and the beach is only a 3 min walk away. those problems soon fade away....

Regards
Silverski
Melbourne like Perth is stinking hot, but I am not complaining by any means. I had a lifetime of rain.

We are about 6 months ahead of you timeline wise and have probably the same problem solving taking place.

I need to figure out how to get my builder to start work thats this months one.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

shirl62 will become famous soon enoughshirl62 will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

Been in Perth now about 10 weeks and on the whole loving it,still a few obstacles there but hopefully we will get through them.Took 5 weeks to get a decent rental,delighted with house,brand new first time let almost next door to the Train station.
OH had no prob getting a job,,,one phone call,one interview,and he was sorted,thank god.My youngest (18) has just started a pre apprenticeship course in Tafe for Carpentry.On the down side myself and 3 daughters have been trying hard to get work to no avail its really starting to effect them...girls you know...clothes,clubbing etc.
I am finding it just a little bit lonely..not working so not meeting people but hopefully it will all come together in the end.
We have some good day trips out at weekends,beautiful places to visit and go to the pub then in the evening (Train comes in dead handy here).As I said though we all love Perth so far
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

trice_ie will become famous soon enoughtrice_ie will become famous soon enough

Hi there

just wondering if theres anybody on this thread living in adelaide and fancy a meet up?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

dor34 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shirl62
Hi all,

Been in Perth now about 10 weeks and on the whole loving it,still a few obstacles there but hopefully we will get through them.Took 5 weeks to get a decent rental,delighted with house,brand new first time let almost next door to the Train station.
OH had no prob getting a job,,,one phone call,one interview,and he was sorted,thank god.My youngest (18) has just started a pre apprenticeship course in Tafe for Carpentry.On the down side myself and 3 daughters have been trying hard to get work to no avail its really starting to effect them...girls you know...clothes,clubbing etc.
I am finding it just a little bit lonely..not working so not meeting people but hopefully it will all come together in the end.
We have some good day trips out at weekends,beautiful places to visit and go to the pub then in the evening (Train comes in dead handy here).As I said though we all love Perth so far
Hi Shirl,

Do you happen to know how the college system works in Perth ie. do the leaving cert results from Ireland count towards a place in college. We moved to Perth in 2008 but left after 9 months because we got very homesick and my daughter who is nearly seventeen really didn't settle. We are hoping to go back next January and my daughter will stay in Ireland with her Nan and finish school and hopefully follow us out after the leaving. Ireland's in an awful mess at the moment and for the forseeable future.

Good luck with the job hunting, I hope you and your daughters get something soon!

Dor
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dor,

I'm afraid I don't know to much about the college system,Aaron had to do this to be able to start an apprenticeship,he was however asked for exam results from Ireland,you could try the Tafe website for information,one thing I can say is there is most definitely more opportunities here for youngsters coming out of school.As you said Ireland is in a mess at the moment and Aaron had been on the dole before we came,there was'nt much hope of him getting a job.I think if you already have a visa coming back would be a very wise decision...your daughter would have a lot more going for her here.
Will keep you updated on the job front....fingers crossed lol
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:55 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

Hi all,

Hi Shirl,

What kind of work are you looking for and where in Perth are you based.

Regards
Silverski
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Hi,
I am applying for all sorts at the mo..I don't really have a particular skill or training,I was a supervisor in a multi screen cinema at home but trying to avoid late night work here,just looking for part time,I have ECDL but with no hands on exp.its hard to get someone to give you a chance,I've applied for sales assistant in Jewelry store,garden centre stuff like that.I live in Clarkson right beside the train line and also drive.
On a good note,my eldest daughter got good news today,she starts work with the Flight Centre in a couple of weeks,she worked for Ryanair so she is thrilled to get this.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:48 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Shirl get yourself into the local job centres and see if there are any courses you can do that the goverment will pay for.

Its only by getting out there and meeting people i find in Oz that good stuff springs up.

best of luck
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

dor34 will become famous soon enough

Hi Dor,

I'm afraid I don't know to much about the college system,Aaron had to do this to be able to start an apprenticeship,he was however asked for exam results from Ireland,you could try the Tafe website for information,one thing I can say is there is most definitely more opportunities here for youngsters coming out of school.As you said Ireland is in a mess at the moment and Aaron had been on the dole before we came,there was'nt much hope of him getting a job.I think if you already have a visa coming back would be a very wise decision...your daughter would have a lot more going for her here.
Will keep you updated on the job front....fingers crossed lol
Hi Shirl,

Thanks very much for your reply. I have checked some of the college sites and found out that they do indeed take the leaving cert results into account when applying for a place in college in Oz. We also have two younger daughters so I think with the way Ireland is and will probably be for the forseeable future they will have more opportunities in Australia.

Good luck with the job hunt, I hope you get something sorted soon

Dor.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:42 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

Hi all,

how is everyone doing.

We have celebrated nearly 18 months here and are loving every minute.

If anyone still needs information please ask.

Regards
Silverski
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:36 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Well done 18 months thats brilliant and ireland i bet is a far distance memory lol. I bet ur gonna be celebrating . Well hopefully we will be celebrating after sunday night when down win the match lol.
We all should organise an irish get together in kings park or something if anyone fancys organising it im up for going .But then again everytime its mentioned no one seems to wanna reply or even go.xx
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:42 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Hey My son is 19 and has just finished his carpentery apprentship a few months ago and is always up for a beer .Him and his mate r heading to the irish club on sunday night to watch the down match if us son want to meet up its harder for him to make friends as he isn`t going to be at school but ur girls will be fine just give it time we have all been there so u are not on ur own
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:44 pm
Sharon

Originally Posted by Al and Jacque
Hi everyone we are moving to Melbourne at the end of April, we live near Markethill co.Armagh, can't wait, lots to do, will be flying with Etihad from Dublin.

Al and Jacque
Hey u guys its a pity use weren`t coming to perth we could have met up for a beer good luck with your new life in melbourne
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=silverski;8796916]Hi all,

how is everyone doing.

We have celebrated nearly 18 months here and are loving every minute.

W will be here 2 years on 6th Sept Time sure does fly but we've loved every minute of it too

Lynn xx