Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:59 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Request for sub forum for Ireland

Originally Posted by silverski
Hi all,

I have taken the bold move of requesting a subforum for all those from ireland.

The moderators are thinking about this.

We may need to request 2 forum sections one in Immigration for the visa stuff and one in lifestyle for things like shipping.

the 2 forum headings have been suggest by Pollyana.
I am hoping that Pollyana agrees with my request.

This would help us as we have slightly different requirements than the UK.

Police clearance
Meds and Xrays
Shipping and meet ups to name but a few.

Hope that you all agree with my request.

Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Silverski
Excellent Idea a lot more of us in BE than ever before I think any way hope it goes a head
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:12 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all
Default Re: Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Yes, this would be great so we can share details that are relevant to those leaving Ireland e.g. Shipping, booking flights, etc
Irish Gal
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:02 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Yes, this would be great so we can share details that are relevant to those leaving Ireland e.g. Shipping, booking flights, etc
Irish Gal
Many thanks for your support. Pass the news around if you can

Regards

Silverski
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Glad to be of some help Sally.

We've settled in Lyndhurst, East Melbourne and we love it. If you have any queries at all then just let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

Your girls will be fine here. Mine would mutiny now if I even entertained the thought of leaving Australia.

The first month or so was hard, there's no doubt about it but if you just plod along then it does get easier.

Hope the blog helps - even just a little bit.

Trish

Hi Trish,
Thanks for the link to your blog. Even my OH has been reading it - and he hates sitting at the pc . Will probably take me a few days to catch up but looks like you've settled well. Glad your girls are doing well too. I have two girls who will be going to school too and I'm a bit nervous for them. I'm hoping there will be a buddy system in place.

Whereabouts are you again? You did say but I hadn't heard of it before and have forgotten
Irish Gal
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Shippers - I thought this information may be of some use to you.

We dealt with Don Cusak for shipping our stuff and he was fantastic
his telephone number is 061-500700 and his email is don@eastway Everything he said was true and there were no
hidden extras or unforseen events at all.

Point to note - we did all our own packing.

He will quote you for flying your stuff over AND for shipping it over.
We sent 808kg in total and Don's quote for flying it over was cheaper
by far than any of the agents who were going to ship it.

To give you an idea of charges at this end:-

We saw customs at the airport who were fine. They just chat to you
for 5 or 10 mins and then send you to quarantine - across the office.

Then we saw quarantine who checked our manifest and said they would
like to inspect 3 or 4 boxes. At this stage we payed 90 AUD to book a
half hour inspection - it was all they said they needed. They also
told us which boxes they wanted to open such as, box 1 which had
footwear in it, box 3 which had Christmas decorations in it (checking
for pine cones), box 5 which had a tent in it, box 7 which had a hover
and boxes 1&2 which had mountain bikes in (check wheels for dirt).

The quarantine inspection has to be booked for the next day (minimum)
- it cannot be done on the day.

We arrived up the following day and went to Quantas where we paid
their fee of 250 AUD. Once that was done I had to go into the bonded
warehouse with the two AFIS officers while they inspected the
shipment. Don't forget to bring your own knife for opening boxes as
they will not do this in case they damage anything and bring your own list of what is in each box.

They only opened 3 boxes and then released everything to us. We had a
hire van with us which cost 75 AUD for the day.

The beauty of it was that all our belongings arrived within 6 hours of
us landing at Melbourne airport. We did not have to wait weeks or
months for it and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. In addition, it
has really helped the kids to settle in well, they love having their
own bits and pieces with them.

I don't want to scare you or anything but a mate of mine who moved to
Townsville shipped her belongings. She was initially quoted 1500 STG
but while she was on the flight over the shipping company actually
took 3,000 STG from her account and told her they had gotten the
volume wrong. She thought she was paying for door to door and it
turned out to be door to port. Her belongings took 8 weeks to arrive
in Brisbane and since then she has paid another 8,500 AUD to get it
released from the port, customs, quarantine, fork lift drivers, bonded
warehouse, inspection fees, fumigation fees and that was before it ever left the port delivery was more again.

Anyway I hope this helps someone out there.

Trish
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Kat71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ladies, Hate to drop in on your conversation but can you help me out. I have just gotten back from Cork (after a holiday with my parents) and booked my flight to Heathrow and then did a seperate flight from Heathrow total nightmare with two kids.

Anway I am flying again next year and want to go via the states any ideas of airlines that fly direct to cork or dublin going that way round. grateful for any help. Cheers Kate
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

I have taken the bold move of requesting a subforum for all those from ireland.

The moderators are thinking about this.

We may need to request 2 forum sections one in Immigration for the visa stuff and one in lifestyle for things like shipping.

the 2 forum headings have been suggest by Pollyana.
I am hoping that Pollyana agrees with my request.

This would help us as we have slightly different requirements than the UK.

Police clearance
Meds and Xrays
Shipping and meet ups to name but a few.

Hope that you all agree with my request.

Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Silverski
Great idea. Any word back from Polly?

Originally Posted by scrum
Shippers - I thought this information may be of some use to you

I don't want to scare you or anything but a mate of mine who moved to
Townsville shipped her belongings. She was initially quoted 1500 STG
but while she was on the flight over the shipping company actually
took 3,000 STG from her account and told her they had gotten the
volume wrong. She thought she was paying for door to door and it
turned out to be door to port. Her belongings took 8 weeks to arrive
in Brisbane and since then she has paid another 8,500 AUD to get it
released from the port, customs, quarantine, fork lift drivers, bonded
warehouse, inspection fees, fumigation fees and that was before it ever left the port delivery was more again.

Anyway I hope this helps someone out there.

Trish
Thanks for the info Trish. I contacted Eastway last week and they really do seem professional so hopefully once this place sells we will be using them to ship our stuff over. Trish the show home looks fabulous. How are you finding dealing with PD? No news here. Unfortunately the house has still not sold and at this rate is looks very unlikely to be sold before the summer. We have only had three viewings since January which is very disheartening.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:48 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scrum
Shippers - I thought this information may be of some use to you.

We dealt with Don Cusak for shipping our stuff and he was fantastic
his telephone number is 061-500700 and his email is don@eastway Everything he said was true and there were no
hidden extras or unforseen events at all.

Trish
Thanks Trish, Eastway are shipping our stuff too. Relieved to hear that it all went well. We are doing all our own packing too and its actually quite therapeutic as we're coming across SO MUCH junk etc
Cheers
Irish Gal
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Trish, Eastway are shipping our stuff too. Relieved to hear that it all went well. We are doing all our own packing too and its actually quite therapeutic as we're coming across SO MUCH junk etc
Cheers
Irish Gal
Yep, I reckon we will be having a few good trips to the dump with our stuff!!! I have always been a bit of a Hoarder!!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold

Great idea. I am always looking to see how many of my fellow country men and women are looking at taking the chance on a new future.

i will help anybody if i can.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:00 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chef69
Great idea. I am always looking to see how many of my fellow country men and women are looking at taking the chance on a new future.

i will help anybody if i can.
Hi chef69.

Congrats on getting there, hope to be there someday soon.

We just put our property on the market.
Still waiting for our meds to be finalised.

So selling the property is being done in faith.

Regards

Silverski.

PS. would welcome support for getting a subforum for all those from Ireland
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:04 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

Cheers
Irish Gal
Hi Irish Girl,

Did you organise the packing boxes from Esatway or did you source your own,

We were thinking of starting the packing sooner rather than later, will give us a chance of deciding what to keep and what to give away or throw out.

Regards

Silverski
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:02 am
Oh, George.....

Hi Irish Girl,

Did you organise the packing boxes from Esatway or did you source your own,

We were thinking of starting the packing sooner rather than later, will give us a chance of deciding what to keep and what to give away or throw out.

Regards

Silverski
Bought moving pack from Argos. Found it great as I can go and get more if I need it. Otherwise it means ordering a huge amount from a packing company and guessing how much you need.

I agree with starting as soon as you can. Even clearing the attic we found boxes of old photos, etc. from our LAST move . Divide into a KEEP, BIN and GIVE AWAY. I've given away lots of clothes and toys to friends of mine with smaller kids. They are happy to take them.
Irish Gal
Old May 1st 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info Trish. I contacted Eastway last week and they really do seem professional so hopefully once this place sells we will be using them to ship our stuff over. Trish the show home looks fabulous. How are you finding dealing with PD? No news here. Unfortunately the house has still not sold and at this rate is looks very unlikely to be sold before the summer. We have only had three viewings since January which is very disheartening.[/QUOTE]

How are you finding dealing with PD?

I'm having a senior moment here LOL what's PD?

Trish
Old May 1st 2008, 7:08 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Bought moving pack from Argos. Found it great as I can go and get more if I need it. Otherwise it means ordering a huge amount from a packing company and guessing how much you need.

I agree with starting as soon as you can. Even clearing the attic we found boxes of old photos, etc. from our LAST move . Divide into a KEEP, BIN and GIVE AWAY. I've given away lots of clothes and toys to friends of mine with smaller kids. They are happy to take them.
Irish Gal
Hi Irish Girl I found that pack expensive its only 5 boxes for nearly 30 euro Try Viking direct they do packs of 20 starting at 18 euro upwards Ill try find the link

http://www.vikingdirect.ie/catalog/s...rtialmax&Nty=1

there you go for any one that needs it I have mine coming today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.