Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any offers? The quickest way to go and live in NZ?

Any offers? The quickest way to go and live in NZ?

Old Dec 23rd 2002, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

pamcorry is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Any offers? The quickest way to go and live in NZ?

Can anyone tell me the fastest way to apply for residency in NZ? Is it better to get a job over here and work through in NZ and wait for the residency to arrive in NZ or what? I'm a UK trained primary teacher.

It seems like there are a lot of people with answers for Aus but not a lot of people with info on NZ!
Think from other threads on the discussion forum on immigration companies that we are going to 'go it alone'!

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!!!
Old Dec 27th 2002, 7:28 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very quick to get a work visa, provided you have an appropriate job offer, if that's what you mean (ie permission to live and work in NZ). If you've got the points, converting a work visa to PR from within NZ is supposed to be quick outside Auckland.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that! I'm watching the Gen Skills passmark at the moment and about to get CVs forwarded etc. Is there anyone who knows how to pepare a CV NZ style?
Old Jan 1st 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future
Default NZ CV

Try visiting http://www.nzherald.co.nz/employment...on=mjfindajob4
Old Jan 1st 2003, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Stan-it was the format I was worried about. Great link to the Herald.
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any offers? The quickest way to go and live in NZ?

Originally posted by pamcorry
Can anyone tell me the fastest way to apply for residency in NZ? Is it better to get a job over here and work through in NZ and wait for the residency to arrive in NZ or what? I'm a UK trained primary teacher.

It seems like there are a lot of people with answers for Aus but not a lot of people with info on NZ!
Think from other threads on the discussion forum on immigration companies that we are going to 'go it alone'!

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!!!
I have been teaching here for 2 years pam. Getting residency BEFORE you leave UK is sensible. However the job situation is not so great! Vacancies are few and far between and there is a lot of nepotism that goes on in schools. If you see the phrase 'present incumbent applying' don't even bother. I sent out 75 CV's when I arrived (I taught for 11 yrs in Brighton) and received 3 replies.....two told me how hard it was to get work here and one gave me his philosophy of life! The only way to be sure you get what you want is to supply teach and eventually someone will/might offer you a longer term position. Bear in mind too that standards in NZ are NOT as high as in the UK...the numeracy project just implemented here is simplistic and aimed at the lowest common denominator! Reading schemes rule everything and the paper work is atrocious. Pay is two thirds less than I was getting in the UK. There are considerable behavioural problems in many junior schools....I have taught in at least 12.......and all special needs are included so you are likely to have profoundly deaf children, cerebal palsy victims, downs syndrome etc in your class alongside all the others. If this doesn't worry you then you wil be impressed by the amount of green space the schools all have! Good luck! Pete
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your input Pete, I appreciate your straight talking. You mention supply teaching but that is, as far as I am aware, pretty impossible form this end. I am hoping to apply for residency as soon as I receive my Teachers Council Cert back. You also mention the paper work-surely it can't be as bad as the UK!!!You also mention SEN children, do you teach in a lower decile school? Do the Kiwi schools not employ NNEBs and teaching assistants?
Could you either reply on this forum or send me a private email telling me a typical weeks paperwork in comparison to what we have in the UK?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input Pete, I appreciate your straight talking. You mention supply teaching but that is, as far as I am aware, pretty impossible form this end. I am hoping to apply for residency as soon as I receive my Teachers Council Cert back. You also mention the paper work-surely it can't be as bad as the UK!!!You also mention SEN children, do you teach in a lower decile school? Do the Kiwi schools not employ NNEBs and teaching assistants?
Could you either reply on this forum or send me a private email telling me a typical weeks paperwork in comparison to what we have in the UK?

Thanks!
Why oh why do UK-based teachers always feel so hard done by and always quote the mythical endless paperwork?

I've taught for 2 years in Aus (and 10 years in the UK prior to that). UK teachers have it pretty easy - good pay, (usually) proper contract, excellent pension scheme and teaching assistants to help out in the classroom. This is why so many Kiwi and Aus teachers head straight to the UK and why I'll be heading back later this year!
Sometimes you can see things more clearly from a distance.
Get yourself into a decent UK school and you've made it!
Old Jan 4th 2003, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Exclamation

Thanks Bernard, I DO come from a good school-it's actually a Beacon School, but I want to find out about NZ schools and their support systems etc!!

I appreciate your comments however.
Old Jan 4th 2003, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bernard, I DO come from a good school-it's actually a Beacon School, but I want to find out about NZ schools and their support systems etc!!

I appreciate your comments however.
I wasn't trying to be negative, Pamcorry, just giving you some background.

I've taught in the US and Aus (and heard a lot about NZ from Kiwi teachers). In the English-speaking world is seems that UK teachers have it very good.
In Aus and NZ, teaching is not really considered to be a 'profession' - you are regarded as a sort of quasi-professional. Permanent contracts are not that common and pay is really very poor.

Despite what you might read in the UK papers the UK school system is really very good when compared with other English-speaking countries and the standards are very good. Attainment in Aus/NZ schools is at least a year behind. There are also a lot of 'racial issues' popping up (surprised me a bit). Both Aus and NZ have large ethnic groups (indigenous and immigrant) and there can be considerable racial tension in some schools.