Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Nurses Made it?

Any Nurses Made it?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

hopeful_expats will become famous soon enough
Default Any Nurses Made it?

I know that there is a nurses forum but this one is much busier.

I'm seriously thinking about emigrating but OH is now having major doubts because of the housing market / interest rates

Are there any nurses / midwives who are comfortable or are you struggling with mortgage repayments etc? (I think I would be on top level 1 pay out there: Approx 60,000 AUD plus unsocial hours payments minus tax)

Which are the cheaper cities to look at (bearing in mind I would prefer to work in a large public women's hospital).

OH is obviously willing to work but not sure what as (he is a joiner / carpenter but he has said that he doesn't really want to continue in that line of work)

Last edited by hopeful_expats; Mar 26th 2008 at 3:15 pm. Reason: added stuff
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Nurses Made it?

Oops, I forgot I'm not a nurse they just look after me
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:36 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopeful_expats
I know that there is a nurses forum but this one is much busier.

I'm seriously thinking about emigrating but OH is now having major doubts because of the housing market / interest rates

Are there any nurses / midwives who are comfortable or are you struggling with mortgage repayments etc? (I think I would be on top level 1 pay out there: Approx 60,000 AUD plus unsocial hours payments minus tax)

Which are the cheaper cities to look at (bearing in mind I would prefer to work in a large public women's hospital).

OH is obviously willing to work but not sure what as (he is a joiner / carpenter but he has said that he doesn't really want to continue in that line of work)
Hi,

Major cities have higher prices and in Adelaide and Brisbane they are rising rapidly. However if you can stay in smaller places with hospitals in reach would be much easier. Lots on here done/doing it.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Hey

Im a nurse living in Melbourne with my partner, he works as a policy adviser, I earn 1700-1900$ per 2 weeks, he earns 1700 $. We have been living very comfortably and been saving about 1000 a month or more. Our rent is about 350 per week. We think we can live fairly good when we choose to buy a house next year.

We have friends who live about an hour out of the city, she is a nurse and he works in stone masonry, they live in a 4 bed modern house and also live fairly well. I think nurses wages here are fairly good compared to other jobs.

Be careful to negotiate your pay before you sign up for a job, some hospitals seem not to recognize your previous experience. I have been qualified for 6 years but get paid as if i was in my 8th year. If you have a post grad cert or diploma you are usually paid more.

People at work dont seem to suffer hardship and only a handful of nurses work full time. Nursing is different here, some things are good like the nurse to patient ratios (Victoria), and the pay. But some hospitals are firmly stuck in the past and doctors still rule the roost, nurse practioners are still fairly new. Also be careful with some Aussie nurse attitudes, I have found its a dog eat dog world, you have to watch your back as there is someone always watching ready to pounce if you have done something wrong. That might just be the dept i work in.

Anyway im rambling, and sorry for the poor spelling and grammer. Its 0534hrs im working a night shift, brain has started the meltdown, just off for a prophylactic cup if tea before I go take some blood off my poor (victims)patients

Hope it goes well for your, I dont think you are better off in the UK.

Last edited by Sugo; Mar 27th 2008 at 6:38 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

[QUOTE=Sugo;6119956]Hey

Im a nurse living in Melbourne with my partner, he works as a policy adviser, I earn 1700-1900$ per 2 weeks, he earns 1700 $. We have been living very comfortably and been saving about 1000 a month or more. Our rent is about 350 per week. We think we can live fairly good when we choose to buy a house next year.

We have friends who live about an hour out of the city, she is a nurse and he works in stone masonry, they live in a 4 bed modern house and also live fairly well. I think nurses wages here are fairly good compared to other jobs.

Be careful to negotiate your pay before you sign up for a job, some hospitals seem not to recognize your previous experience. I have been qualified for 6 years but get paid as if i was in my 8th year. If you have a post grad cert or diploma you are usually paid more.

People at work dont seem to suffer hardship and only a handful of nurses work full time. Nursing is different here, some things are good like the nurse to patient ratios (Victoria), and the pay. But some hospitals are firmly stuck in the past and doctors still rule the roost, nurse practioners are still fairly new. Also be careful with some Aussie nurse attitudes, I have found its a dog eat dog world, you have to watch your back as there is someone always watching ready to pounce if you have done something wrong. That might just be the dept i work in.

Anyway im rambling, and sorry for the poor spelling and grammer. Its 0534hrs im working a night shift, brain has started the meltdown, just off for a prophylactic cup if tea before I go take some blood off my poor (victims)patients

Hope it goes well for your, I dont think you are better off in the UK.[/QU

OMG!! Time for the internet AND a cup of tea!!! Unheard of on a nightshift where I work! Can't wait to start my new job in Oz!! Bring it on..
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=scousercarol;6120246]
Originally Posted by Sugo
Hey

Hope it goes well for your, I dont think you are better off in the UK.[/QU

OMG!! Time for the internet AND a cup of tea!!! Unheard of on a nightshift where I work! Can't wait to start my new job in Oz!! Bring it on..
LOL your so right, i forgot about that, we never had time for internet and a cup of tea in the UK, and the tea and coffee is supplies by work too. Victoria has legally enforced nurse to patient ratios, in emergency that mean 3 patients per a nurse. Makes work much easier, dont get me wrong im working in a crappy dept but atleast its not as heavy as in the UK. I dont think i have come home from work and been too tired to even get out of my uniform before, or on the walk home have an urge to sleep under a tree in the park as im so tired.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies!

It has helped me a bit on making my mind up. I had originally looked at Perth but possibly will need a decent relocation package in order to manage the move. Does anyone know of any hospitals offering one?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:59 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Now that we have decided my OH will be returning to full time study my nurses wages will be supporting a family of 4
I think it's going to be tough going but hopefully it will only be for a couple of years and the beach is free after all
We'll have to rent for the 2 years until OH is working but I'm thinking this will be ideal anyway as it will a) mean we have time to decide whether we want to stay and b) no more weekend painting, decorating and doing d.i.y
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

It has helped me a bit on making my mind up. I had originally looked at Perth but possibly will need a decent relocation package in order to manage the move. Does anyone know of any hospitals offering one?
i seem to remember a post on here a little while ago saying that the main hospital in Fremantle offers relocation packages. I have an offer from a small hospital in Mandurah. Nowhere NEAR as busy as where I work now in UK.
Good luck.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

patsmec is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know If any hospitals around Brisbane sponsor nurses on a "student visa" I was told this could be a possibility from a good source recently, but can't find out any detalls....
any advice or help would be appreciated.
I am currently a health care assistant in a private hospital and looking at going to Qld on a student visa either way.

Helen
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by patsmec
Does anybody know If any hospitals around Brisbane sponsor nurses on a "student visa" I was told this could be a possibility from a good source recently, but can't find out any detalls....
any advice or help would be appreciated.
I am currently a health care assistant in a private hospital and looking at going to Qld on a student visa either way.

Helen
Might be worth contacting the Mater. It's in the center of Brisbane city.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:19 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I work in a major womens hospital in Perth and I know the WA gov. are beginning a big recruitment drive in the UK. This website might be of help to you http://www.nursing.health.wa.gov.au/...tertrained.cfm

Perth is a beautiful city - I would say give it a go !
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks SME

I have looked at the website but no specific mention of a major recruitment drive. I would be very interested at working at KEMH if they could sponsor me
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

SharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really niceSharonK is just really nice

Hi,

just thought this might help, my OH has just been offered a job with Queensland Health, good luck what ever you decide to do..

Sharon

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/workforus/
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:56 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks SME

I have looked at the website but no specific mention of a major recruitment drive. I would be very interested at working at KEMH if they could sponsor me

You should maybe contact HR dept directly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.