Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any non christians / catholics working in church schools?

Any non christians / catholics working in church schools?

Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice
Default Any non christians / catholics working in church schools?

Is it worth putting an application in without a letter from your local pastor if the application asks for it?
Getting a bit tired of applying for jobs and getting nowhere when I think my application is excellent! However I am not going to pretend to be something I am not....
Hmmmm

Any advice?

Cheers
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any non christians / catholics working in church schools?

Originally Posted by movin'on
Is it worth putting an application in without a letter from your local pastor if the application asks for it?
Getting a bit tired of applying for jobs and getting nowhere when I think my application is excellent! However I am not going to pretend to be something I am not....
Hmmmm

Any advice?

Cheers
40% of teachers in my nieces catholic primary school are not catholic.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Thanks - I've not actually applied for Catholic yet - just Baptist. I think you can get accreditation to teach in Catholic schools which might be worth getting.
Thanks.
Any more positives?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Thanks - I've not actually applied for Catholic yet - just Baptist. I think you can get accreditation to teach in Catholic schools which might be worth getting.
Thanks.
Any more positives?
I am working in an anglican school in the Junior Department and although I was brought up within the anglican community I am no longer a praciticing christian.
I used my ex- headteacher (church of england school in the UK) as my christian referee. I also think you need to state on your application form how you feel you would uphold the christian ethos of the school and why you would value working in that kind of environment.
I was very open at interview about where I stood with regards to my faith but i had some quite tricky questions about it at interview. I adopted the 'honest' approach == like you I refused to pretend to be somebody I wasn't....
The other thing I would say is that the school I work at is quite evangelical in it's outlook -- took me aback at first -- so be sure you'd be happy working in that kind of school.....
Good Luck with your quest for teaching work!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I went for an Admin job in an Anglican college. Thankfully they picked someone over me and I didn't get the job. I naively thought, as Admin, I wouldn't be expected to do much in the way of god stuff but they were expecting me to fully embrace the religious side in a big way and join in all events. No way would I ever be that hypocritical and would never apply for another Church school job. Best left to the religious amongst us
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be quite happy to work in a Christian school on the basis I would be able to slip all sorts of things past them.... (stop sniggering at the back!) take my foot off the gas.

I find them all pretty trusting - last time I visited the church playgroup I cleaned them out of a whole plateful of biscuits and a few cups of tea and got a bit of child-minding too.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Hmmmm

Any advice?

Cheers
Well worth considering. These schools tend to be better than the state school system and are, in my experience, better managed.

They can be more selective about who they employ. State schools, just have to take their pick from a database of available staff. If it is a "good" school they can pick and choose their staff and if it came down to it a crucifix wearing, bible carrier he may win out over an atheist. But these schools are generally trying to recruit good teachers.

Just let them know that you support the school ethos. Wanting to do the best for the students, support their religious beliefs and generally care about the job you do and the well-being of students in your care. Most decent teachers will up-hold Christian beliefs wether they are religious or not.

I have to endure chapel once a week and say the lords prayer at assembly. I can live with that - without calling myself a hypocrite. I didn't have any covering letter from any religious body and got several interviews and a permanent job.

Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:12 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm

Any advice?

Cheers
PE teacher mate of mine couldn't get a job in the state sector but had no problem getting a job in a private school in Perth.

Cooler
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again. In the applications I've put in I've talked about how I would uphold the values of the school and would fully take part in the life of the school but nadda.... I'm getting a bit peed off to be honest! I would rather work in a non-religious school to be honest but I am also being picky as to proximity to home so I am trying to apply to only schools within a 30min drive. I worked in a church school in the UK so I could ask for another reference from them (although the pastor I knew has left now...). I'm not being a bighead but I am an excellent teacher with good credentials and excellent (written references) and I think they should stand up for themselves but maybe I'm just arrogant!! Or maybe my beliefs are more important than my teaching standards..... rant rant rant

I'll keep plugging away.....
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Thanks again. In the applications I've put in I've talked about how I would uphold the values of the school and would fully take part in the life of the school but nadda.... I'm getting a bit peed off to be honest! I would rather work in a non-religious school to be honest but I am also being picky as to proximity to home so I am trying to apply to only schools within a 30min drive. I worked in a church school in the UK so I could ask for another reference from them (although the pastor I knew has left now...). I'm not being a bighead but I am an excellent teacher with good credentials and excellent (written references) and I think they should stand up for themselves but maybe I'm just arrogant!! Or maybe my beliefs are more important than my teaching standards..... rant rant rant

I'll keep plugging away.....
I'm not meaning to be picky but it's not just about 'upholding' the values of the school' it's about convincing the interviewing panel about the fact that you see the benefits of a christian education. When I was applying to church schools I tried to highlight that there are many pillars of sound educational practice that overlap with a christian framework. To me, by saying you uphold the values just makes it sound that you will go along with it, rather than wholeheartedly embrace it and believe that these values will make any difference -- and I know that would turn off the people at my school. So maybe just think about how you word your application. Unfortunately your teaching credentials wont stand for themselves unless you convince them you will not only support the school ethos but have an understanding of how this ethos can impact on the educational and social life of the school.

FYI on my application form I stated that 'as the Head Teacher of a Church of England my ex-headteacher would be able to attest to my 'christian character.' I had no religious person as a reference.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Katherined0 (karma sent) - I really appreciate your advice and you've made me feel a lot better - like I'm not just a reject but if I'm applying to any school I need to wholly (no pun intended!) embrace the ethos, just as I would for the IB programme (which I am in love with!). It's all in the application and the research - not just sending of a standard-ish slightly adjusted letter and expecting my experience etc to speak for itself. Ok - I get it! Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:11 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in a Catholic school and am not a Catholic, I am having to do an accredditation though. Maybe try more rural schools as they may ignore the religion part if they are desperate for teachers.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Katherined0 (karma sent) - I really appreciate your advice and you've made me feel a lot better - like I'm not just a reject but if I'm applying to any school I need to wholly (no pun intended!) embrace the ethos, just as I would for the IB programme (which I am in love with!). It's all in the application and the research - not just sending of a standard-ish slightly adjusted letter and expecting my experience etc to speak for itself. Ok - I get it! Thanks
Thanks for the Karma!

Looking for work is such a nightmare.....
Fingers crossed something comes up for you soon!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:12 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Not an issue, many non catholic, i.e. mostly protestant teach in the catholic system and vice versa. Visited catholic primary school inner western Melbourne many times, very secular.

In fact pre WWII in the bush many protestants went to good catholic schools due to better education (versus state schools).

With huge bush community involvement in the "other religion", sport, Oz has never had much "real" tension between protestants and catholics (plenty of mixed marriages due to what my mother described as a need to keep the gene pool mixed up), with those of jewish faith favoured as Governor Generals in the past
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

I have just returned from a 2 week requie and visited a state school (near Perth), a catholic school in Joonalup and I spent a day at Hale Grammar school. I am a non-catholic but would certainly not recommend applying for a state school if you can get into a private one . I will be taking a reference with me from my local church. I am not a practicing christian but I take my kids because I believe it could make them a better person!! There were quite a few staff that were non-catholics and they suggeted that although it was certainly not essential it would be helpful to have a reference from your church. Many of the staff were non-christians but followed the ethos. What's your subject?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.