Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any (nearly) last minute tips before validating?

Any (nearly) last minute tips before validating?

Old May 8th 2003, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any (nearly) last minute tips before validating?

Hi there folks,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things that we can do when we're validating in three weeks? We hope to stay in South Queensland when we finally move.

We're going out for a six week trip starting in Sydney and heading up to Brisbane then back. We hope to drive around some burbs and look at schools. Anything else useful?

Also any fun things along the way (Got two kids 5 and 2 in tow)?

Thanks

Ginny
Old May 8th 2003, 6:43 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Not really alone the way, but can recomend the zoo at beerwah just north of Brisbane.

Can't remember what its called im afraid, but its owned by the nutter Steve Irwin (croc hunter) off of the tv.

Pete.
Old May 8th 2003, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

The parks on the Gold Coast are fun for kids, much more laid back than the florida equivalent.
Old May 8th 2003, 7:36 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Ginny,

The zoo that Pete Y is on about the Australian Zoo, well worth a visit, Steve wasn't there the day we visited but his mate Wez was. The beaches around Burleigh Heads are lovely. Byron Bay on the way up to Queensland (just over the border in NSW) is also worthy of a visit. Sea World and Movie World are a great day out.

Also have a drive up to Tambourine Mountain and up to the Glass House Mountains. Half way up the glass house mountains, on the way to the look out is a lovely little cafe owned by a bloke from Derby (if I remember rightly) been in Oz since he was a boy and he makes a mean scone!!!!

I don't know where exactly you are planning to settle but I would go for outer Brisbane as opposed to the Gold Coast. Reason being that you will find it easier to find work in Brisbane than on the Gold Coast and it is quite a trek if you get work in the city.

The Bayside suburbs are lovely and also northern suburbs such as Albany Creek, Cashmere etc, but expect house prices to be higher.

Have a great holiday. Friends tells us it is getting quite chilly at nights at the moment so take some woollies, they don't tend to have central heating in Queensland!!

Susan x

Last edited by heading downunder 2002; May 8th 2003 at 7:41 pm.
Old May 8th 2003, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Susan,

How are you finding it back home now, did the move back go smoothly?

Glad you have not given up on this site.

Terry
Old May 8th 2003, 7:47 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Terry,

Yes the move back went very smoothly. British customs are much easier to deal with than the Australian ones, at least they don't want money for everything!!!

I won't be giving up on this site I still enjoy looking to see what everyone is up to and how they are going. Just because it didn't work for me certainly doesn't mean it won't for others and I hope that I may be able to help some people if they need any info etc. I still have a lot of contacts out there in Oz.

Susan
Old May 8th 2003, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Susan

Glad to hear the move back went well, are you resuming life that you left last year or have you changed much ie. area, work ect? I often think about whether we would return to a different area back here if things did'nt go well for us in Aus.

How did the exchange rate affect you, would imagine you did not loose on it.

Terry
Old May 8th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some links here that may be of use to you.

Brisbane Links
Old May 8th 2003, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there folks,

Thanks so much for all the replies. Keep them coming.

Susan, glad to hear you're getting back to things and are managing to keep in touch with the forum.
We're looking to stay where there are hospitals as we're both nurses so it doesn't have to be right in Brisbane.

I'll remember my woolies and if anyone's got any other ideas let us know.

Thanks

Ginny
Old May 9th 2003, 8:19 pm
Came Back 2003

Originally posted by Terry
Hi Susan

Glad to hear the move back went well, are you resuming life that you left last year or have you changed much ie. area, work ect? I often think about whether we would return to a different area back here if things did'nt go well for us in Aus.

How did the exchange rate affect you, would imagine you did not loose on it.

Terry
Hi Terry,

Yes we have returned to the same area but whereas before we left we lived in the country we have now bought in town and are really liking it.

The exchange rate worked very well for us (although it would be even better now) and we recouped some of what it had cost us to move.

Susan