Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Muslim expats living in in Melbourne?

Any Muslim expats living in in Melbourne?

Old Nov 28th 2003, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

argonaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Any Muslim expats living in in Melbourne?

...just wondering what life is like for practising Muslims in Melbourne especially (or indeed anywhere else in Eastern Oz), particularly since 'Sept 11' and 'Bali'.

In terms of day to day living, what about availabilty of halal meat shops, mosques etc? What about attitudes of Ozzies in general towards professional Muslim immigrants.

In terms of politics, are there any 'Pauline Hanson' types coming up through the ranks to wage a crusade against Muslims?

Thanks for any input.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 9:41 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Muslim expats living in in Melbourne?

Originally posted by argonaut
...just wondering what life is like for practising Muslims in Melbourne especially (or indeed anywhere else in Eastern Oz), particularly since 'Sept 11' and 'Bali'.

In terms of day to day living, what about availabilty of halal meat shops, mosques etc? What about attitudes of Ozzies in general towards professional Muslim immigrants.

In terms of politics, are there any 'Pauline Hanson' types coming up through the ranks to wage a crusade against Muslims?

Thanks for any input.
There has been a lot said about Pauline Hanson but can anyone remember what she said or did except ask 'Please Explain'? Poor little lamb was used as a lightning rod and fried to a steak as a consequence. Her crime was political naivety and exagerated fears of ethnic minorities.

Outrage at Hanson comments

Ms Hanson, in parliament and outside, claimed she was falsely reported in last Sunday’s Sydney Sun-Herald. The newspaper quoted her as saying, in the context of immigration screening of potential migrants, “We are a Christian country... Religion has a lot to do with it and we must look at people and their religious beliefs.�

The newspaper report interpreted her comments to mean that Jews, Muslims and Hindus could find it harder to enter Australia under her controversial immigration policy.

On Monday, in parliament, Ms Hanson said: “No particular religion or culture should be afforded special privileges under any Australia law.� On Tuesday, she amplified this statement in a news release saying, “I have criticised the religious intolerance of some new arrivals to Australia who objected to singing Christmas carols and hymns in public schools because it offended their cultures.

“Australia is a country with a Judeo-Christian heritage. Anyone who doubts this ought to read the Australian Constitution which describes the Union of the Commonwealth of Australia as ‘humbly relying on the blessing of God Almighty’.�

----

Apparently, in her view, God Almighty is not Allah, but then perhaps she did not think about it.

Mind you, this God fellow is much talked about too.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

For a period after September 11, there were some "suspiciousness" of all Muslims.

Nothing has changed though. You'll find Halal meat shops, mosques, etc are still readily available.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you enjoyed Eid.

I work at Auburn in Sydney and there is the Gallipoli Mosque which is huge. There are plenty of Halal butchers as well as plenty of Turkish and Lebanese shops.

The attitude of the locals varies from the down right stupid and racist to the enlightened. Bali did generate some disgraceful comments and those attitudes linger.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Smile

Originally posted by bondipom
I hope you enjoyed Eid.

I work at Auburn in Sydney and there is the Gallipoli Mosque which is huge. There are plenty of Halal butchers as well as plenty of Turkish and Lebanese shops.

The attitude of the locals varies from the down right stupid and racist to the enlightened. Bali did generate some disgraceful comments and those attitudes linger.
...thanks - had a great Eid! I think racist 'red-necks' and even closet racist 'professionals' exists wherever you are in the world, but Australia and the US seem to have more than their fair share!
These people try to compensate for their own inferiority complexes by singling out another race or religion for ridicule and attack.

Really surprised not a SINGLE muslim posts on this forum - or maybe they're too intimidated by the attitudes of certain forum regulars to make themselves known?
Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:15 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

...thanks - had a great Eid! I think racist 'red-necks' and even closet racist 'professionals' exists wherever you are in the world, but Australia and the US seem to have more than their fair share!
These people try to compensate for their own inferiority complexes by singling out another race or religion for ridicule and attack.

Really surprised not a SINGLE muslim posts on this forum - or maybe they're too intimidated by the attitudes of certain forum regulars to make themselves known?
Is religion scarosanct then? Have not been any blasphemy convictions in Australia for a while.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:27 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

WTF?!??!?!?!?!
Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Megalania
Is religion scarosanct then? Have not been any blasphemy convictions in Australia for a while.
...no one's saying anything's above criticism or debate, but the people who condemn a religion based on the actions of others are just plain ignorant. For instance - the current spate of suicide bombings occuring around the world (Turkey/Middle East) are perpetrated my misguided criminals - NOT Muslims.

Often, atrocities are committed in the name of religion, but what the motives boil down to are either political or greed. The 'Crusades' (during which vile crimes were committed against local Muslims and Jews) in the Middle Ages were conducted in the name of Christianity. The IRA/Loyalist conflict in Northern Ireland has its roots in a Catholic/Protestant schism. Does that mean that Catholicism or Protestantism is evil? Of course not.

In India at the moment (and for many years past) 'Muslims' have massacring 'Hindus' and vice-versa. I don't use this fact to hate all Hindus or Hindism. In fact, the teachings of Hinduism are peaceful in their basis.

Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:58 am
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
My opinion is that most people just keep their religion to themselves.
It is a private thing and has nothing to do with not "making themselves known".
In my opinion it is statements like this, which i see a bit aggresive that cause problems between people of different religion.
Fair enough your question about daily life of practising religion in Melbourne, but remarks like above are in my opinion not necessary.

FYI i am atheist, therefore on no one's side. (if we can speak about sides in this matter). I am sorry for all the bad things that happen and have happened in the past in the name of religion. Innocent people suffer.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

cityboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Muslims

Barbera , well done. Here endith this
Old Nov 29th 2003, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

...no one's saying anything's above criticism or debate, but the people who condemn a religion based on the actions of others are just plain ignorant. For instance - the current spate of suicide bombings occuring around the world (Turkey/Middle East) are perpetrated my misguided criminals - NOT Muslims.

Often, atrocities are committed in the name of religion, but what the motives boil down to are either political or greed. The 'Crusades' (during which vile crimes were committed against local Muslims and Jews) in the Middle Ages were conducted in the name of Christianity. The IRA/Loyalist conflict in Northern Ireland has its roots in a Catholic/Protestant schism. Does that mean that Catholicism or Protestantism is evil? Of course not.

In India at the moment (and for many years past) 'Muslims' have massacring 'Hindus' and vice-versa. I don't use this fact to hate all Hindus or Hindism. In fact, the teachings of Hinduism are peaceful in their basis.

WELL SAID, ARGONAUT.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 10:45 pm
Banned

Religions are more than just personal beliefs in clay idols and other figments of the imagination. They are organisations of people. When such organisations lead to / allow anti-social behaviour they are fair game for criticism or sanction.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 12:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Religions are more than just personal beliefs in clay idols and other figments of the imagination. They are organisations of people. When such organisations lead to / allow anti-social behaviour they are fair game for criticism or sanction.
But to lump all people together of one faith which is made of different factions is unfair. Islam is not one organisation but has many aspects and different beliefs eg Sunni and Shiite. Christianity is a faith but Catholiscism and the Church of England are some of the many organisations that Christians belong to. Within Catholiscism there are different sections ranging from the extreme such as Opus Dei to the humble such as the Franciscans.

I agree that the organisations are fair game.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 4:29 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

And do you see posts marked unambiguously as Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, etc?

Let's keep religious politics out of this forum. This is not a request.

Peter
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ptlabs
And do you see posts marked unambiguously as Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, etc?

Let's keep religious politics out of this forum. This is not a request.

Peter

Well said Peter..

I get quite angry when i read things like the title post. I would imagine life for a new muslim immigrant would be the same as any other new immigrant... be it catholic, buddhist, or bloody martian!!.... your new home is what YOU make it. I am sure there will be plenty of muslim organisations, shops and community sociala things, just as there are for everyone else. It is only when you start wanting to see yourself as different and demand to be seen as such, that you will encounter problems...if you wish to be seen as different then why go there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.