British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any mums to be on the sunshine coast? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-mums-sunshine-coast-506318/)

collybabe24 Jan 15th 2008 7:07 am

Any mums to be on the sunshine coast?

Hiya dont wanna intrude or anything but i am currently studying to be a doula and only have one module left to complete, i have to attend 3 births to qualify, which i hope to get done pretty quick so i can start work, so i am wondering if there are any lovely mums to be on the sunshine coast that wouldnt mind me attending there births and giving support, obviously my services are free but would really like some experience, i know its cheeky posting it on here but i have only been here 9 weeks so dont know many people and dont know any pregnant women, thanks in advance colleen:thumbsup:

steandleigh Jan 15th 2008 7:16 am

Re: Any mums to be on the sunshine coast?

Hi,

you could put advertisements up in your local doctors surgeries / local hospital / local newspaper. You might need to briefly explain what your services are though as a lot of people haven't heard of a Doula!

My friend in Canada recently had her first child with the support of her husband and a Doula and she said it was really worthwhile.

Nice job. Good luck.:)

betsyboob Jan 15th 2008 9:01 am

Originally Posted by collybabe24 (Post 5789666)
Hiya dont wanna intrude or anything but i am currently studying to be a doula and only have one module left to complete, i have to attend 3 births to qualify, which i hope to get done pretty quick so i can start work, so i am wondering if there are any lovely mums to be on the sunshine coast that wouldnt mind me attending there births and giving support, obviously my services are free but would really like some experience, i know its cheeky posting it on here but i have only been here 9 weeks so dont know many people and dont know any pregnant women, thanks in advance colleen:thumbsup:

Hi, great to hear you're getting on well with your course, unfortunately i can't help either:o I had been looking into Doula courses in Queensland but found alot that are online study, can i ask where you are studying and if it is online?
Goodluck with the course:thumbsup:

collybabe24 Jan 15th 2008 9:23 am

Originally Posted by betsyboob (Post 5790043)
Hi, great to hear you're getting on well with your course, unfortunately i can't help either:o I had been looking into Doula courses in Queensland but found alot that are online study, can i ask where you are studying and if it is online?
Goodluck with the course:thumbsup:

Hiya yes it is an online course it works better around the kids and its a very in depth course im loving it, just need the experience now, did wanna do midwifery as id done part of my nurse training in the uk but dropped out and with the prices of the courses over here you have got no chance, im also a qualified nail tech and health care assistant but no one wanted to know cos i have no aussie qualifications so i had to pay $1500 out to re train as a nail tech but still waiting for stuff to arrive from uk, you need a qualification to fart over here so everyone says.

steandleigh Jan 15th 2008 9:26 am

Originally Posted by collybabe24 (Post 5790127)
Hiya yes it is an online course it works better around the kids and its a very in depth course im loving it, just need the experience now, did wanna do midwifery as id done part of my nurse training in the uk but dropped out and with the prices of the courses over here you have got no chance, im also a qualified nail tech and health care assistant but no one wanted to know cos i have no aussie qualifications so i had to pay $1500 out to re train as a nail tech but still waiting for stuff to arrive from uk, you need a qualification to fart over here so everyone says.

How long have you lived here because you could finish your nursing at uni (get credit for previous studies) and then do a years mid-wif course and slap it all on HECS fees, if need be.? Buy now, pay later...

collybabe24 Jan 15th 2008 9:50 am

Originally Posted by steandleigh (Post 5790139)
How long have you lived here because you could finish your nursing at uni (get credit for previous studies) and then do a years mid-wif course and slap it all on HECS fees, if need be.? Buy now, pay later...

Ive only been here about 10 weeks i have looked into the nursing courses and there is no way i can afford it not now not ever, so im sticking with being a doula its along the same line of work ive always been interested in and it will work around my family which is important, but thanks for the advice i really should of completed my studies in the uk but i wasnt really aware of the prices here.

laudami Jan 15th 2008 7:55 pm

Hi whats a Doula????
We will be on the sunny coast at the beg of April and plan on falling pregnant shortly-already have Louis who is 11-BIG GAP!New life, nw baby etc etc
So let me know whats involved and maybe we can meet up when i get there????