Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Mods with Scooters in Brisbane Oz

Any Mods with Scooters in Brisbane Oz

Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:16 pm
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough
Default Any Mods with Scooters in Brisbane Oz

Hello,

Any of you expats in the Brisbane area know if you can buy a Vespa out there in Oz? Bit of an old Mod at Heart, well the revival era stuff at the back end of the 70's early 80's, you know the Merton Parkas, Squire, The Jam, The Lambrettas etc!

Girls in the mini skirts, bladdy great times! Anyway, whats the chance of being able to pick up a Vespa or Lambretta second hand or new. Also do you have to wear a helmet in Oz, i mean a lid on your head!

Another thing, what type of scooter, moped, motorbike can you drive on a UK driving license in Oz, up to what cc etc? Or when you translate from a UK license to an Oz license what cc motorbike can you drive?

Cheers Knife!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Mods with Scooters in Brisbane Oz

http://thescooterstore.com.au/shoppi...iewCat&catId=2

Will give you an idea of prices and so on. Yes Vespa etc are available generally in Australia.

http://www.scootopia.com.au dealer in Brisbane.

You can only ride up to a 50cc on a car licence in QLD. Anything else you need a motorbike licence.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 8:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Well Pollyana is the only Mod living in Brisbane but I'm not sure she has a scooter

......I'll get my coat.......

Buzzy
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

I used to be a mod in the early 80's.......

but wild horses wouldn't get me on a scooter on Brisbane roads.!!!! Its bad enough dodging the UTE drivers when you're in a V6 Holden commodore..

Good luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:43 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by forkandknife
Hello,

Any of you expats in the Brisbane area know if you can buy a Vespa out there in Oz? Bit of an old Mod at Heart, well the revival era stuff at the back end of the 70's early 80's, you know the Merton Parkas, Squire, The Jam, The Lambrettas etc!

Girls in the mini skirts, bladdy great times! Anyway, whats the chance of being able to pick up a Vespa or Lambretta second hand or new. Also do you have to wear a helmet in Oz, i mean a lid on your head!

Another thing, what type of scooter, moped, motorbike can you drive on a UK driving license in Oz, up to what cc etc? Or when you translate from a UK license to an Oz license what cc motorbike can you drive?

Cheers Knife!
www.retroscooters.com.au

www.scootopia.com.au

local scooter club is the Cane Toads SC.

If you're into Northern Soul, there is a Soul Scene, and they have a do every month, alternating between the Gold Coast and Brisbane.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:47 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Ha, seen plenty of oldies on scooters over here. They even have them made for 2, his and hers riding side by side. So you can ride well on into your golden age.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:51 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Cheers Knife!
Yep plenty of Vespas and Lambrettas over here - no need to worry about that

http://cars.search.ebay.com.au/vespa...0QQsacatZ32073
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:25 pm
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough

Nice one! Do you have to wear a helmet?

Can see it now, cruising down the coast road on my Lamby SX, lovely? Jimmy!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:08 am

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Nice one! Do you have to wear a helmet?

Can see it now, cruising down the coast road on my Lamby SX, lovely? Jimmy!
Helmets are legally required. Amazing to see people riding up and down the motorway on a sports bike wearing just a helmet, board shorts and a paid of thongs/flip-flops.

Cruising on an SX? Hope you've already got one. 200cc ones are changing hands for 6-7000 pounds in the UK nowadays.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by adriang
Helmets are legally required. Amazing to see people riding up and down the motorway on a sports bike wearing just a helmet, board shorts and a paid of thongs/flip-flops.

Cruising on an SX? Hope you've already got one. 200cc ones are changing hands for 6-7000 pounds in the UK nowadays.
Best mate has one in his shed, he uses it as a shelf, will not sell it to me though, i know its very rare, i used to have a px 125, bright yellow, felt like the face on it, but looked like a smurf, great days though. Just listen to the tunes now, reminds me of my mod days. But if or when i live in Oz, the other half shall have her car, and i shall have my sccoter, even if it is to be a Vespa, with a couple of mirrors on it! Just got to pass my test, is it hard, any idea of the cost aswell? I have only ever had a 125 in the UK you see, never passed my bike test.

Notice you have a couple of lamby's what you got, my old man used to have an SX, he used to take me on the back, i was wondering whether you could import one from India maybe? I am coming over in March all being well, so i will have a scout around! I have no plans in owning a car, so it will be in my interest to pass my bike test i think, the girlfriend will not be too happy though, never mind.

Last edited by forkandknife; Jan 4th 2008 at 12:42 am.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Hello,

Cheers Knife!
Never mind the scooter.....get a load of this.

www.acefaceclothingcompany.co.uk
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rushman
Never mind the scooter.....get a load of this.

www.acefaceclothingcompany.co.uk

I used to wear tonics to school along with loafers, thought i looked the bollox until stapress came in and shoes called diamonds!

http://com2.runboard.com/bmodrevivalforums

http://www.scooter-forums.com/

Nice Sites, Nice Scoot!
Attached Thumbnails Any Mods with Scooters in Brisbane Oz-dscf0005.sized.jpg  

Last edited by forkandknife; Jan 4th 2008 at 12:52 am.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:55 am

Best mate has one in his shed, he uses it as a shelf, will not sell it to me though, i know its very rare, i used to have a px 125, bright yellow, felt like the face on it, but looked like a smurf, great days though. Just listen to the tunes now, reminds me of my mod days. But if or when i live in Oz, the other half shall have her car, and i shall have my sccoter, even if it is to be a Vespa, with a couple of mirrors on it! Just got to pass my test, is it hard, any idea of the cost aswell? I have only ever had a 125 in the UK you see, never passed my bike test.

Notice you have a couple of lamby's what you got, my old man used to have an SX, he used to take me on the back, i was wondering whether you could import one from India maybe? I am coming over in March all being well, so i will have a scout around! I have no plans in owning a car, so it will be in my interest to pass my bike test i think, the girlfriend will not be too happy though, never mind.
I've got 3, 2 GP's, a 1968 200 and a 1969 225, and a 1963 Li150, that I'm about to sell as I've not even bothered registering it and I want to find a new 'project' to work on.

People tend to import either the Indian or the Vietnamese ones here, they sometimes pop up on eBay where people have bought a complete lemon and are trying to sell it on. (I've see gearboxes shimmed using pieces from a coke can).

Mulling over a trip to get a few unrestored ones and ship them back as project scoots. Hopefully sell them on and cover the overall costs.

Side note, we had the 60th Annerversary in Sydney a few months ago. Amazing to see so many in one place, and had a ride out through the city (the Rocks, Botanical Gardens, Bondi and Bronte beaches).

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DL6MCNcho I'm on the red one with the black Ducati leather jacket zipping around just in front of the camera.

Some interesting pics here! http://www.australianscooterist.blogspot.com/
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by adriang
I've got 3, 2 GP's, a 1968 200 and a 1969 225, and a 1963 Li150, that I'm about to sell as I've not even bothered registering it and I want to find a new 'project' to work on.

People tend to import either the Indian or the Vietnamese ones here, they sometimes pop up on eBay where people have bought a complete lemon and are trying to sell it on. (I've see gearboxes shimmed using pieces from a coke can).

Mulling over a trip to get a few unrestored ones and ship them back as project scoots. Hopefully sell them on and cover the overall costs.

Side note, we had the 60th Annerversary in Sydney a few months ago. Amazing to see so many in one place, and had a ride out through the city (the Rocks, Botanical Gardens, Bondi and Bronte beaches).

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DL6MCNcho I'm on the red one with the black Ducati leather jacket zipping around just in front of the camera.

Some interesting pics here! http://www.australianscooterist.blogspot.com/
Nice, very nice, well that answer's my original post, i am planning on maybe settling around the Scarborough area, how far is that from you? Also how much do you think i would pay for a lamby in good nick, you know something full refurbished, needs no work? Or even a Vespa 125 T5 would do? Just to get about on when i arrive?

1968 Lambretta SX 150

http://manchester.gumtree.com/manche.../13097579.html

http://www.bike-exchange.com/check_u...70715&adtype=n

Last edited by forkandknife; Jan 4th 2008 at 1:26 am.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:09 am

Nice, very nice, well that answer's my original post, i am planning on maybe settling around the Scarborough area, how far is that from you? Also how much do you think i would pay for a lamby in good nick, you know something full refurbished, needs no work? Or even a Vespa 125 T5 would do? Just to get about on when i arrive?

1968 Lambretta SX 150

http://manchester.gumtree.com/manche.../13097579.html

http://www.bike-exchange.com/check_u...70715&adtype=n
I love Scarborugh, but it's a crap trip into the city every day, and a bit 'out of the action' for night life. Had a GF up there when I first moved here so was up there quite a lot.

Just off the Redcliff Peninsula, places like Brighton or Sandgate are similar, and closer to the train line.

Getting a scoot here, I reckon getting a Lambretta would be about $5000. Getting an SX would be hard, more likely an Li or a GP.

Getting a Vespa PX or an older one about 3-4000. I've never seen a T5 here, not sure they were sold here. But the P200e is still sold new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.