Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Midwives out there?

Any Midwives out there?

Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Wendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really nice
Default Any Midwives out there?

Hello there I am just in the very early stages of getting out to Oz hopefully. I am awaiting regeistration from the NBWA and then can apply for jobs which i hope in turn will lead to a sponsorship. (I think this is the way for us). My husband and I have four children 11, 7, 2 and 6 months and can not wait to get out there. We have family in Dianella Perth who have been there for over 25 years and helping us out with information but really need someone a bit further along in the process to help. It feels like it will take forever, not sure what visa etc and were in Perth to head for jobs, schools etc. Can anyone help?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Midwives out there?

Hi there I am a midwife and although I am not main applicant (hubby is, he's a nurse) this is how I understand it. If you are a midwive and apply for registration with the appropriate board then you can applly for shortened skills assessment (cheaper) I think - otherwise the route to go will be to apply to the ANMC for a full skill assessment and then to apply for your visa - should be eligable for 136 modl - permanent resident (dependant on points, if you have relatives willing to sponsor you, that will able you to claim more points) Also depends if you are direct entry or generally trained to as not all states accept direct entry midwives (please correct me if I'm wrong )

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask

Lindsey

Last edited by nurselindsey; Jan 29th 2007 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Wendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really nice

Thankyou it gets a little clearer every day, I was not sure where the skills assesment came in do you still need it for the 136?. I will be the first applicant and I am a direct entry midwife and planning to go to Perth, I will have to make further enquiries.

thankyou

Wendy
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:05 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi there I am a midwife and although I am not main applicant (hubby is, he's a nurse) this is how I understand it. If you are a midwive and apply for registration with the appropriate board then you can applly for shortened skills assessment (cheaper) I think - otherwise the route to go will be to apply to the ANMC for a full skill assessment and then to apply for your visa - should be eligable for 136 modl - permanent resident (dependant on points, if you have relatives willing to sponsor you, that will able you to claim more points) Also depends if you are direct entry or generally trained to as not all states accept direct entry midwives (please correct me if I'm wrong )

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask

Lindsey

True not all states accept direct entry - I am qualifying in September and hope to come out on a sponsored visa 457. I have to apply to QLD nursing board to get my registration there.
Will have to stay with same hopsital for a year or so and then apply for PR from then as I won't have the 18months experience required for the other visas. But it's better than not having a job as there seem to be NONE here!
Have been on the site a while and there is lots of info - try doing a search also look in the nursing forum on this site Good luck
p.s. think there is a difference if you have a degree or diploma too but if you have experience then it should be fine...

Last edited by Babycatcher; Jan 29th 2007 at 6:06 pm. Reason: forgot something
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

I am dually qualified but have a friend who is direct entry and she has just started a job in Adelaide. She has two years experience. The pay isn't that fantastic - $42,000, but she is enjoying it and as baby catcher said better than having no jobs in the UK.

Think a lot of the dual qualification is to do with them sending you to work elsewhere on the general side if maternity is quiet.

Yes you need the skills assessment first - which visa you apply for depends on experience too as babycatcher rightly stated.

Lindsey
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
I am dually qualified but have a friend who is direct entry and she has just started a job in Adelaide. She has two years experience. The pay isn't that fantastic - $42,000, but she is enjoying it and as baby catcher said better than having no jobs in the UK.

Think a lot of the dual qualification is to do with them sending you to work elsewhere on the general side if maternity is quiet.

Yes you need the skills assessment first - which visa you apply for depends on experience too as babycatcher rightly stated.

Lindsey

Just feels so confusing! Anyway thanks to you have located and printed application for skills assesment so will get that underway. Not 100% sure what visa will be right for us qualified sep 2005 so coming up for 18 months. Need to explore further.

thankyou so much
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:08 pm

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy007
Just feels so confusing! Anyway thanks to you have located and printed application for skills assesment so will get that underway. Not 100% sure what visa will be right for us qualified sep 2005 so coming up for 18 months. Need to explore further.

thankyou so much
If you have been working for 18mths then you can just apply as a MODL visa and not be tied to one employer - more freedom if you aren't too keen on that hospital/city/state.... It's a long process so get a bottle of wine and join us in our addiction to Britishexpats
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
If you have been working for 18mths then you can just apply as a MODL visa and not be tied to one employer - more freedom if you aren't too keen on that hospital/city/state.... It's a long process so get a bottle of wine and join us in our addiction to Britishexpats
MODL visa is that the 136?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy007
MODL visa is that the 136?
yes I think that the Much On Demand List (MODL) is a 136 but I don't know for sure as I am going for the sponsorship! Check out the Immigration forum...for info on visa.