Reload this Page >

Any midwives made the move?!

Any midwives made the move?!

Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

midwifetomum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any midwives made the move?!

Hello all

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong place or if I ramble too much. Just dipping my toe in the water here.

I've planned on moving to work in Australia as a midwife since I started my training. 10 years, a husband and two children down the line and I'm still here but hoping to get the wheels in motion - finally! We are off to the Working In expo at Earls Court in London at the end of the month to find out more as I am pretty clueless about matters of visas etc.

Any advice on where to start getting organised would be appreciated, as I literally have no idea where to begin. I would love to hear especially from any healthcare professionals who have moved down under. I don't really know how midwifery differs in Australia and whether I could earn enough as a midwife, as everyone keeps telling me how expensive Australia is and how we'll never make it work! My husband works in IT/e-commerce and our children are 3 years old and 5 months old. We are thinking of living in Melbourne, but as I say nothing is set in stone!

Thanks for reading.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any midwives made the move?!

Originally Posted by midwifetomum
Hello all

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong place or if I ramble too much. Just dipping my toe in the water here.

I've planned on moving to work in Australia as a midwife since I started my training. 10 years, a husband and two children down the line and I'm still here but hoping to get the wheels in motion - finally! We are off to the Working In expo at Earls Court in London at the end of the month to find out more as I am pretty clueless about matters of visas etc.

Any advice on where to start getting organised would be appreciated, as I literally have no idea where to begin. I would love to hear especially from any healthcare professionals who have moved down under. I don't really know how midwifery differs in Australia and whether I could earn enough as a midwife, as everyone keeps telling me how expensive Australia is and how we'll never make it work! My husband works in IT/e-commerce and our children are 3 years old and 5 months old. We are thinking of living in Melbourne, but as I say nothing is set in stone!

Thanks for reading.
Hi, I can't help with your questions but you may like to try BE's forum for British health professionals who are emigrating, here
Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations - British Expats

Also, try posting your visa questions in the Australian Immigration and Visa forum here http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...itizenship-32/

I think you'd get a better response there. Good luck with your plans!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 2nd 2014 at 11:31 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any midwives made the move?!

There is a rough guide to skilled migration in the BE wiki - A Rough Guide to Australian General Skilled Migration : British Expat Wiki which should answer some questions about the process

For permanent migration you will need a skills assessment with ANMAC, and to work in Australia you need AHPRA registration. You should find info on both in the Nurses section

The most common visas are the 189 and 190. 189 does not require any form of sponsorship and is probably the first choice if your occupation is on the SOL

189 info including points test - Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

SOL (Skilled Occupations List) - Skilled Occupations List (SOL)

CSOL (Consolidated Skilled Occupation List - you need an occupation on this list to be eligible for skilled migration for sponsored visas) - Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List