Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any mechanics out there

Any mechanics out there

Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:51 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future
Default Any mechanics out there

We're looking at buying a Mitsubishi Pajero, going to look at one privately this weekend. Are there any mechanics out there who can give me some tips on what to look for in a good/bad vehicle.

I know we have to be careful buying privately, as there is no come-back if anything goes wrong, but there arent any dealers with a suitable one in stock.

Any tips good or bad welcome.

Jo
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

hunter will become famous soon enoughhunter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any mechanics out there

Originally Posted by Joanne
We're looking at buying a Mitsubishi Pajero, going to look at one privately this weekend. Are there any mechanics out there who can give me some tips on what to look for in a good/bad vehicle.

I know we have to be careful buying privately, as there is no come-back if anything goes wrong, but there arent any dealers with a suitable one in stock.

Any tips good or bad welcome.

Jo
this taken from the RAC website (applies to any car)

General

Never inspect a vehicle in the rain or at night. You may not pick up defects.
Take the vehicle for a long test drive (at least 10kms).
Stop in a quiet area to check for abnormal noises.
Check that the jack and all the tools are in place.

Engine

Before starting the engine, check the oil on the dipstick. If it is thick and heavy, make sure an expert looks at the engine.

Check the radiator for any oil scum on the water. Traces may indicate a faulty cylinder head gasket.

Take note of how the engine starts. How does it sound? Does it vibrate or run unevenly?

When the engine is warmed up, check for blue smoke from the exhaust on acceleration, especially after it has been idling for a few minutes. Blue smoke can indicate serious engine problems. Also check for black smoke, which can indicate over fuelling.

Listen for any abnormal engine noises.
After the test drive, check for oil and water leaks.

Gears

Check that the gears change smoothly and with no abnormal noise.
Check that the transmission doesn't jump out of gear.
The clutch should take up gradually, without shudder, and be able to take full engine load without slipping.
Check for whining noise from the gears.

Automatic transmission

Check for smooth gear changes.
Check transmission fluid for discolouration.
Steering & Suspension
Is there excessive free-play?
Does the steering wheel vibrate?
Does the vehicle veer to one side?
Check for knocking noises when going over bumps.

Brakes

Does the vehicle pull to one side when braking?
Check for grinding noises. This may indicate brake pads or shoes worn.
Try an emergency stop (if it is safe to do so). Does the vehicle stop sharply?

Tyres

Make sure that all tyres match, including the spare.
Uneven wear can indicate steering or suspension problems.
Check the tread depth, the minimum legal tread depth in Australia is 1.5mm.

Interior

Is the trim clean and in good condition?
Is the seat springing satisfactory?
Do the seats adjust properly?
Are the seat belts in good condition, free of fraying or cuts and do the retractors work smoothly?

Exterior

Do all the windows operate correctly?
Are all the locks working?
Do the doors open and close easily and without sagging? (Doors that are difficult to open and close may indicate accident damage.)
Look along the contours of the car for ripples or unevenness, this could indicate crash damage repairs.

Electrical

Check the operation of all lights and electrical components.
Check the instruments.
Check the air conditioning.

If you are generally satisfied with the car's performance, you should organise an expert to carry out a more thorough inspection. cost aprox $100
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:57 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any mechanics out there

Thanks Hunter, I've asked the current owners of the Pajero if they're happy for us to carry out a RACV inspection on the car and they have said yes, I've told OH, we're definitely not buying anything privately without one.

Jo