Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any mechanics living out in perth

any mechanics living out in perth

Old Oct 11th 2010, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice
Default any mechanics living out in perth

Hi.
I am looking to come over to Western Australia in Feb next year on the look out for some mechanical work.

I need a sponsor because I have been out of my trade for 3 years.

I have been told by my agent that getting work and a sponsor should be pretty easy but the best thing I could do is get on a plane and visit some garages over there.

I have 19 years experience as a Large goods vehicle mechanic mostly spent in DAF trucks main dealerships in the UK.

I was hoping to speak with some Britts who have made the move over there for some info and maybe even see if there place of work was looking for any mechanics.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Cheers guys.

Gordon
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: any mechanics living out in perth

Flippin heck. Another agent telling people things are easy! They are not I am sorry to say and getting a sponsor isn't that easy, especially for tradies.

What kind of visa does your agent suggest you travel to Oz on? You can't get a work visa without having sponsorship secured and a travel visa is for tourists.

Be very careful if you come to Australia on a tourist visa with the intention of looking for work as it could get you in a lot of trouble.

Sorry to paint a gloomy picture but please don't just get on a plane and expect to find everything falling into place.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice

Thanks for that.
He suggested I went out on a travel visa to go round some workshops and see if anyone is interested in sponsoring me.
Then they would have to put it in writing to my agent then he would apply for a 547 sponsored visa which would take around a month.

So is that ilegal what he is asking me to do.

Are you in the mechanical trade Kingseat.

I am not expecting it to be easy but I am a highly skilled technician with 19 years experience and would hope to be a asset to most companies.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by offski
Thanks for that.
He suggested I went out on a travel visa to go round some workshops and see if anyone is interested in sponsoring me.
Then they would have to put it in writing to my agent then he would apply for a 547 sponsored visa which would take around a month.

So is that ilegal what he is asking me to do.

Are you in the mechanical trade Kingseat.

I am not expecting it to be easy but I am a highly skilled technician with 19 years experience and would hope to be a asset to most companies.
It's not as easy as the company "putting it in writing to your agent and he would apply for a 457". If you happen to come here with the intention of looking for work there is a visa for that. Look at the DIAC site www.immi.gov.au for the visa number, but it is a business skills short stay visa. Tourist visas are for tourists.

In order for a company to sponsor you they would first have to be eligible to sponsor. They then apply to nominate you for sponsorship then when that's approved they apply to sponsor you. That could take up to a month or more, depending on whether they have ever been a sponsor before. If they have then it's relatively easy for the company. If not, they will have to prove that they are a legitimate business by providing documents and financial records to DIAC. Once they are approved then you apply for the visa which usually takes about a month (more if there are medical or character issues). Bear in mind also that there are restrictions on a 457 such as it being a temporary visa, you being tied to the employer and there being things like school fees and limited medical coverage on it.

Yes, the agent gave you bad advice. If you are a highly skilled technician why is your agent not advising you to apply for a skilled visa? As far as I know mechanics are still on the skilled lists, so that would be the way to go about it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
I am looking to come over to Western Australia in Feb next year on the look out for some mechanical work.

I need a sponsor because I have been out of my trade for 3 years.

I have been told by my agent that getting work and a sponsor should be pretty easy but the best thing I could do is get on a plane and visit some garages over there.

I have 19 years experience as a Large goods vehicle mechanic mostly spent in DAF trucks main dealerships in the UK.

I was hoping to speak with some Britts who have made the move over there for some info and maybe even see if there place of work was looking for any mechanics.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Cheers guys.

Gordon
Do yourself a favour if you want to get to Austalia and:
Get back into your trade for the required amount of time
Apply for PR when you have

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Your agent should be shot quite frankly. Anyone with half a brain and a knowledge of Australia wouldn't say that.

In my experience car mechanics fall in the same category as most tradies - ie they're casual and they're also fairly thick on the ground. I can't imagine why a garage would go to the expense and bother of sponsoring an unknown when they can have their fill of local casual workers.

Good luck though.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:22 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[In my experience car mechanics fall in the same category as most tradies - ie they're casual and they're also fairly thick on the ground. I can't imagine why a garage would go to the expense and bother of sponsoring an unknown when they can have their fill of local casual workers.

Good luck though.[/QUOTE]

The op did not say he was a CAR mechanic , a good diesel tech is worth his weight in gold.. good luck offski......MM
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:42 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Not so long ago diesel fitters were sought after in the mines and very, very well paid.

If that is still the case and you can get someone to sponsor you it would likely be in a regional area of Australia.

It would not necessarily have to be a 457 temp visa but could equally be a 119 RSMS PR visa from the outset.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/

I would have thought a lot of mining companies know their way around the visa processes quite well, particularly the larger companies.

You may get some leads from here...........

http://australia.infomine.com/careers/

http://www.australianminesatlas.gov....links_jobs.jsp
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Your agent should be shot quite frankly. Anyone with half a brain and a knowledge of Australia wouldn't say that.

In my experience car mechanics fall in the same category as most tradies - ie they're casual and they're also fairly thick on the ground. I can't imagine why a garage would go to the expense and bother of sponsoring an unknown when they can have their fill of local casual workers.

Good luck though.
Your right money penny car mechanics are thick on the ground so I am just glad that I am not one of them.
Most large goods vehicle mechanics are making around £50 per hour and are still high on demand so thanks for you input.

Lastly recent update on immigration agents. I contacted go.matilda today and they have informed me that it is fine and legal to go to Australia on a tourist visa to look for work as long as you dont do any work.
Any good immigration company would tell you the same.

It just goes to show that you cant really believe anybody on this site.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix
Not so long ago diesel fitters were sought after in the mines and very, very well paid.

If that is still the case and you can get someone to sponsor you it would likely be in a regional area of Australia.

It would not necessarily have to be a 457 temp visa but could equally be a 119 RSMS PR visa from the outset.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/

I would have thought a lot of mining companies know their way around the visa processes quite well, particularly the larger companies.

You may get some leads from here...........

http://australia.infomine.com/careers/

http://www.australianminesatlas.gov....links_jobs.jsp
Thank you Bix for the links and I will check them out later.

Most help I have had on this site so Thank you
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Lastly recent update on immigration agents. I contacted go.matilda today and they have informed me that it is fine and legal to go to Australia on a tourist visa to look for work as long as you dont do any work.

Good luck with that at the immigration desk when you land. Are you going to tell the truth on your landing card that you're here to look for work or are you going to say you're here for holiday and lie?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Your right money penny car mechanics are thick on the ground so I am just glad that I am not one of them.
Most large goods vehicle mechanics are making around £50 per hour and are still high on demand so thanks for you input.

As I have said on another thread, yes it is perfectly legal to come here on a tourist visa/evisitor/ETA with the main purpose of your trip being a holiday, and while you are here you can investigate sponsorship. Obviously you can't work on a tourist visa but as long as the main purpose of your trip is a holiday, and you can honestly say this to Immigration on enrry, then you are doing things perfectly legally.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Totally agree with you pollyana.

At this time I am just concentrating on emailing various companies testing the water.
If I can source a sponsor from this side all the better.

Thanks to all the advice and info from everyone.

Regards.

Gordon
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with what others have said. Some of the best paid tradies on mines in WA are heavy equipment/diesel mechanics - and are in big demand.