Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any mature students from the Uk studying in Perth?

Any mature students from the Uk studying in Perth?

Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:25 pm
Diane T

diitbrown will become famous soon enoughdiitbrown will become famous soon enough
Default Any mature students from the Uk studying in Perth?

Hi,

I having been going to TAFE for 12 months and was just wondering if theres anyone else out there who is from the UK on a student visa who are also attending TAFE - There doesnt seem anyone up to now - surely I cant be the only one???

Di XXX
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:37 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any mature students from the Uk studying in Perth?

Hi there,

You're definately not the only one.

Hubby is from UK and studying at TAFE but is not on student visa. I'm an aussie so he got in on a spouse visa.

On his course are a couple of Ethiopians, 2 sudanese, 1 nigerian, 1 indonesian, 1 kiwi & 3 easties.

TAFE seems to be very multi culutural. The course behind him is equally diverse.

Its great for my recipe box
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:01 pm
Diane T

diitbrown will become famous soon enoughdiitbrown will become famous soon enough

Cool - thanks for that. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I take it your hubby is a chef? Is he enjoying it?

Di X
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future

Hi Di

Nice to hear of someone out there doing it already, I am due to start at TAFE in July and was looking at moving around the Quinns Rocks area, I am still in UK at the mo waiting to complete my house sale.

How are you finding it, are the staff really helpful? I have a sister in Butler and came out in Feb myself so kinda know some of the area, spent a lot of time down at Quinns beach.

How do you get to TAFE, do you use public transport or go by car? Sorry for all the questions, it's just nice to hear that someone is doing what Iam hoping to do soon.

Cathy
X
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:50 am
Diane T

Originally Posted by Cathy Makin
Hi Di

Nice to hear of someone out there doing it already, I am due to start at TAFE in July and was looking at moving around the Quinns Rocks area, I am still in UK at the mo waiting to complete my house sale.

How are you finding it, are the staff really helpful? I have a sister in Butler and came out in Feb myself so kinda know some of the area, spent a lot of time down at Quinns beach.

How do you get to TAFE, do you use public transport or go by car? Sorry for all the questions, it's just nice to hear that someone is doing what Iam hoping to do soon.

Cathy
X
Hi Cathy - ask as many questions as you like - I wish I had someone I could have quized before I came out. Glad to help!

Quinns Beach hey - we take the dog there as its vertually at the bottom of our road!

Firstly - we came out here last June and our house is STILL up for sale!! We accepted an offer 6 weeks ago but are still waiting!

I attended Thornlie TAFE for the Semester of July-Dec last year, purely because we where staying with Ians (my partner) brother in Armadale at the time. We moved to Quinns Rocks in September so I had to travel to Thornlie for the last 3 months - what a pain, it took over an hour each way!
I have been going to Joondalup since Feb this year. Its doesnt appear to be as well organized as Thornlie but I am still enjoying it all the same.

I drive there and back - what a difference. It takes about 15 minutes tops!

I am doing Business/Human Resource Certificate IV next semester, but that is in Perth Central as they dont run the full time course (which as you know is a must for the visa) from Joondalup.

So what are you studying - you must be coming out soon then if you are starting in July?

Speak soon

Di XX
Old Jun 11th 2007, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future

Hi Di

Sorry for delay in replying, yes hopefully will be coming out beginning of July, assuming visa and completion happen before then, hoping should be end of June.

Just trying to get my head round all the changes that come into effect 1 Sep as we are hoping to apply for PR once I have completed my studies. What about you do you think you will stay once qualified, does it feel like home yet?

What does your hubby do is he working, as I hear it can be quite difficult to find part time work on a student visa. I have been told it could be easier for him to set up a business on his own, maybe gardening or something.

Anyway a bit late now I know, just hope it wont be too stressful, but I have a feeling it will be the hardest thing we will ever do.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 3:59 pm
Diane T

Hi Cathy,

Its very difficult getting part-time jobs. You have to come out here with the view that you may not get one at all! Funny thing you mentioned about the gardening business as my other half bought his own Lawn Mowing business. But that has come to a virtual full stop as winter is now here and grass has stopped growing! Plus there must be a million other lawn mowing/gardening guys in Perth! He had no luck at all in finding a part-time job. I just about got one cleaning!!! Just make sure you have enough funds to get on incase you dont get any work.

Good luck Cathy - let me know how your visa application goes.

Di XX
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:19 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diitbrown
Cool - thanks for that. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I take it your hubby is a chef? Is he enjoying it?

Di X

Errrrr... No

Ex soldier (Royal Engineers) Ex stonemason (hurt his back) now studying mining exploration.

Australia (for him) has been a land of opportunity.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diitbrown

I am doing Business/Human Resource Certificate IV next semester, but that is in Perth Central as they dont run the full time course (which as you know is a must for the visa) from Joondalup.
Is that one of the courses you can do to gain PR then? None of the agents I have spoken to have recomended anything like that. I really don't like the idea of hairdressing.
Would you recomend the course? And Perth?
Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:44 am
Diane T

Hi, Well according to immigration when we actually went to see them in Perth 2 years ago, as long as you have enough points at the end it doesnt matter what course you do. But with the recent changes regarding the visas I can apply for a Student Graduate Visa first now anyway then after 18 months apply for PR. I am now doing my Course at Joondalup instead of Perth Central as they have decided to run it there too now. Which is great because its not far from where we are living.

Perth is a great place to study - I cant speak for the rest of Australia having only studied in Perth, but the lecturers are very friendly and understanding and the whole way of life here is easy going!!

Di
Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:49 am
Diane T

Ooops - my mistake, when you quoted 'Great for my recipe box' I just assumed he was a chef!

Glad things are going well for him and the mining industry is a great place to be right now!

Di X