Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any last recomendations re Brisbane suburbs that are good for familys and schools.

Any last recomendations re Brisbane suburbs that are good for familys and schools.

Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all
Default Any last recomendations re Brisbane suburbs that are good for familys and schools.

Hi guys just wanted to pick your brains, we are leaving for Brisbane on sunday Has anyone got any suggestions for good suburbs with good primary schools bearing in mind that my husband Nick is based Grey Street South Brisbane. Many many thanks with guys
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:02 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any last recomendations re Brisbane suburbs that are good for familys and schools

Hi Suzy,

South Bank has excellent public transport links (bus and train) so really you could live anywhere! Not very helpful I know. There are quite a few good primary schools around - the ones I know of personally are Sherwood State School and Graceville State School. Both in the inner west - not too far from Toowong where I believe you are based for a few weeks. Worth a look.

Good luck.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all
Default Re: Any last recomendations re Brisbane suburbs that are good for familys and schools

Cheers for that. Take care
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

check out www.ourbrisbane.com good luck
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:40 am
Just Joined

ksloan is an unknown quantity at this point

redlands bayside is a nice place to live. Some of the redlands suburbs have train stations which is around 50 mins into the city.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Robbie_Paula is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzyt
Hi guys just wanted to pick your brains, we are leaving for Brisbane on sunday Has anyone got any suggestions for good suburbs with good primary schools bearing in mind that my husband Nick is based Grey Street South Brisbane. Many many thanks with guys
Hi Suzy
We're north Brisbane in North Lakes, husband drives to Petrie station (15mins)then its 30mins into the city. We chose North Lakes for the school, easy commute and lots of rentals to get started. Plus there's Redcliffe for the beach and lagoon just 15mins away. The kids started at North Lakes State College Years 4 & 6 and it seems a good school and believe me I am very fussy.

Good luck with the move, we've been in Australia for 2 months and North Lakes for 3 weeks, honestly no regrets (although I miss Marmite). There's tons to do, we asked everyone where we should live, Redlands came up a lot as being very family friendly too.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it wherever you end up!!!!

Paula & Robbie
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:44 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie_Paula
Hi Suzy
We're north Brisbane in North Lakes, husband drives to Petrie station (15mins)then its 30mins into the city. We chose North Lakes for the school, easy commute and lots of rentals to get started. Plus there's Redcliffe for the beach and lagoon just 15mins away. The kids started at North Lakes State College Years 4 & 6 and it seems a good school and believe me I am very fussy.

Good luck with the move, we've been in Australia for 2 months and North Lakes for 3 weeks, honestly no regrets (although I miss Marmite). There's tons to do, we asked everyone where we should live, Redlands came up a lot as being very family friendly too.

Paula & Robbie
I agree - North Lakes!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

honestly no regrets (although I miss Marmite).
Marmite: The Australian actual equivalent, available in Supermarkets, (at least in the Redlands ) is called "Our Mate", made in UK, but named differently due to an Australian product also called Marmite, but not tasting the same.

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyt
Working in South Brisbane, I'd recommend Woolloongabba, South Brisbane, East Brisbane, Highgate Hill, some parts of Annerley, Camp Hill, Morningside, Coorparoo, Seven Hills, Tarragindi, Holland Park. Public schools in these areas are mostly pretty good. If you want private, Somerville House for girls and Churchie for boys are good schools - there are also a number of catholic schools in these areas that are all pretty good. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Hi Suzy

Paula & Robbie
Hi,

We are looking at North Lakes. It looks really nice with great houses. Our children will be 9 & 6 when we go next April so it is great to hear that you recommend the schools. If you have anymore info I would really appreciate it. OH is a baker and I hope to return to work in retail after we have settled.
Helena
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:19 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helena39
Hi,

We are looking at North Lakes. It looks really nice with great houses. Our children will be 9 & 6 when we go next April so it is great to hear that you recommend the schools. If you have anymore info I would really appreciate it. OH is a baker and I hope to return to work in retail after we have settled.
Helena
Worth a look....

http://www.northlakes.com.au/
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:35 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

I'll do my usual plug for the western suburbs, and Sherwood / Graceville / Corinda in particular. I could rave for hours but good schools (Sherwood and Graceville both already mentioned, also some good private schools), good transport links (train and bus), restaurants, cinema, shops, parks etc etc etc. If you are staying in Toowong for a few weeks I would def recommend checking these areas out. Feel free to PM us when you arrive - happy to meet up for a coffee and chat and offer whatever help we can.

Cheers
Alicia